Suspension Damper Advice

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nic

Suspension Damper Advice

Post by Nic »

I would really appreciate some advice please from those in the know.

My car currently has standard Toyota dampers on the front and Black Bilstein/Toyota dampers on the rear, Tein S-Tech springs fitted, standard ARB's and all the suspension bushes have recently been replaced, another factor is that the car has 18x8/18x9 Volk wheels fitted. So as you can imagine it currently sits low on the Tein springs and rattles your eyeballs over poor road surfaces.

I knew the front dampers needed replacing but it has also failed it's MOT today on one of the rear dampers, so it looks like I might as well fit 4 new dampers. I've already got a set of Eibach Pro springs that I'll be fitting which should raise the ride height and are softer sprung, but I'm not sure now what dampers I should fit.

I realise with the 18" wheels the ride is never going to be that plush (been looking at swapping the wheels for some 17's), the car is for road use only and I'd like a fast road setup which will cope better over poor road surfaces.

So the question is which dampers would suite the Eibach springs best? New Black Bilstein/Toyota dampers, yellow Bilstein dampers or is there a better alternative for similar money?

Current setup
Last edited by Nic on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Nic

Re: Suspension Damper Advice

Post by Nic »

I should also add that I've negotiated a very good deal (<£400) for a brand new set of Black Blistein dampers delivered, which could sway my decision, but would appreciate your opinion if they'll work well with the Eibach springs?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Marf

Post by Marf »

I don't see why not. For that price I'd bite their hand off
Nic

Post by Nic »

Marf wrote:I don't see why not. For that price I'd bite their hand off

Hand in mouth as we speak, I just want to be absolutely sure before I chow down :D
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Marf

Post by Marf »

:lol:

If you're concerned about the Eibachs, Bilstein sell lowering springs under the brand "Ventura" and they do a -30mm spring for the Mk2.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-30 ... 1655wt_899

I had billies and ventura springs on my Charade Turbo. Good combo.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Ordered the Black Bilstein dampers, now just need some decent weather to get everything fitted!
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Nic

Post by Nic »

Marf wrote::lol:

If you're concerned about the Eibachs, Bilstein sell lowering springs under the brand "Ventura" and they do a -30mm spring for the Mk2.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-30 ... 1655wt_899

I had billies and ventura springs on my Charade Turbo. Good combo.

Cheers, already got the Eibach springs, these drop the height by a similar amount so will fit them and see how I get on.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Watching this thread with interest as I was only wondering today what the optimum set up for comfortable daily driving/ fast road use is considered to be for MK2s.

Re your Eibachs, I fitted these to my Alfa Spider with standard suspension and they sharpened up the handling no end, without compromising much ride quality.

On the Alfa forums a lot of people combine Eibachs with either Bilstein or Koni shocks with positive feedback.
Nic

Post by Nic »

James Junior wrote:Watching this thread with interest as I was only wondering today what the optimum set up for comfortable daily driving/ fast road use is considered to be for MK2s.

Re your Eibachs, I fitted these to my Alfa Spider with standard suspension and they sharpened up the handling no end, without compromising much ride quality.

On the Alfa forums a lot of people combine Eibachs with either Bilstein or Koni shocks with positive feedback.

Bilstein dampers with Eibach Pro springs are considered one of the best fast road setups on the MKIV Supra and from what I've read on various forums it seems a popular combination on the MR2 as well. I'll let you know what I think next week once everything's fitted.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Good luck!

Any suspension change is a bit nerve wracking as you just have to suck it and see and the parts and labour (or time cost if you can swing a spanner) are not cheap.

Bilis and Eibachs seems a common combo though, so must be for good reason.

Look forward to hearing your results buddy. :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Someone on here was selling a full set of koni inserts for cheap which are the only other decent std type damper but youd need to find a set of older style strut housings to put them in.

Come to think of it someone was also selling the strut housings i'm p sure.

Bilsteins are p good also tho!
John145

Post by John145 »

Not really sure what you're after here?

With such a low ride height you are barely using your dampers. I think you'll find that the reason the ride is so crashy is because you have about 15mm of travel before the bumpstop and as soon as you hit anything on the road you go straight into the bumpstop...

I'd just go for cheap dampers that aren't leaking!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”