[Mk2] [Turbo] Blueflame Exhaust (again) - very boomy (deafening) at 1500 revs - normal?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marlowe

[Mk2] [Turbo] Blueflame Exhaust (again) - very boomy (deafening) at 1500 revs - normal?

Post by Marlowe »

As above really. Picked up a 2nd hand Blueflame with decat in good condition and had it fitted. Noise is obviously louder than the stock I had previously but at around the 1500 rev range (whether accelerating, holding revs or decelerating) the exhaust seems very boomy from inside the cabin (and God help you if you drive down a narrow straight as I do on the daily commute, with the reverb). I've compared to bigdave247's MR2 with a blitz exhaust and his is definitely louder.

Is this a normal characteristic of the exhaust and me being a big girl? I only ask as the booming is loud that after driving the car my ears are ringing - I've ended up buying a set of musicians ear plugs for the drive to Germany next Sunday.
Tsia

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Blueflame Exhaust (again) - very boomy (deafening) at 1500 revs - normal?

Post by Tsia »

My exhaust is horrendously loud at 1500 RPM. It calms down, though...
BlackpoolMR2

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Blueflame Exhaust (again) - very boomy (deafening) at 1500 revs - normal?

Post by BlackpoolMR2 »

I've got a Blueflame n/a system and it's properly loud between 1500 - 3000. It's nice & quiet when it's settled at 30 which is good.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

fit a JapSpeed then you'll know what loud is :lol:

Blueflames are pretty quiet compared to those.
Nails

Post by Nails »

Nah my japspeed was tame. My RSA however. Made the radio useless and taking the t bars off that car something didn't want to do.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Hoping it's unrelated...but got an appointment at the Doctors this PM. Have lost all hearing in driver's side ear (feels like it's full of water) so I'm hoping that the 'booming' was something up with my ear - that or it's deafened me, which I'm obviously hoping isn't the case. :lol:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Marlowe wrote:Hoping it's unrelated...but got an appointment at the Doctors this PM. Have lost all hearing in driver's side ear (feels like it's full of water) so I'm hoping that the 'booming' was something up with my ear - that or it's deafened me, which I'm obviously hoping isn't the case. :lol:

Good luck mate!

Although, if it is related, you'll win any "my car's exhaust was SO LOUD..." contests..
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Right, after a consultation it turns out it's my ears which are a bit dysfunctional (thanks for the dodgy genetics Dad) and so are not getting on with the deep bass effect the exhaust has.

As a result I've admitted defeat and taken the car down to a local exhaust place to have the stock one put on.

Bit of a shame as the blueflame appears to be nearly new but after about 50 miles on my car I've decided I have to place my (dodgy) hearing over the shine and nice burble. Will pop it on sale later.
bugdialer

Post by bugdialer »

I have just the same problem with my Blue Flame back boxes on my Rev 5 turbo, but I am going to reduce the diameter of the outlet pipes by removing the 4 inch slash cut tailpipes and having new double skin 3 inch tailpipes weled in place to see if it alters the noise at that rev range.
toyokid

Blue Flame

Post by toyokid »

My experience of Blue Flame
albeit on a Celica
is they start out quiet from new
but progressively the baffles rot/disappear and then they get noisy,
options being to replace a box or the system.

Stephen
Craigo

Post by Craigo »

Mate if its any consolation I had exactly the same problem. Had serious tinitius in my ear for at least 2 years...the Mr2 was sold (also with Blueflame) and after a while my hearing went back to normal. Could have been totally unrelated but I couldn't help but speculate it wasn't a coincidence.

You've done the right thing!

Return to “Modifications”