UK Rev5 NA...in Mica Orange!

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

UK Rev5 NA...in Mica Orange!

Post by tonigmr2 »

So I have been looking for a slightly interesting or different MR2 for a little bit...slightly restricted budget due to the ever devouring GTR, but I was desperate for a bit of 'top off' action for the summer too.

I thought I was going to get a Roadster! That was the plan. Then I looked at Chris's t-bar turbo (lovely car) and a gold rev5 turbo up in Bradford (clean and straight, but somehow didn't tick my boxes).

Out of the blue on Friday night as I was pondering, I saw a post in Spotted about a Mica Orange T-Bar for sale on the Classics website. One that I just hadn't thought of looking at, so despite trawling ebay and autotrader for weeks I had completely missed this car...

I rang the guy up immediately and arranged to view the following day. On the trip over I was thinking 'is it really only 65K miles', 'I bet it's got rust in the usual places, and if it has I am walking away' and I knew from a reg check it was all clear so was not the Cat C I'd spotted last year.

When I got there, I knew I was going to buy it! Mica orange is amazing in sunlight. The car was immaculate, one stonechip on the bonnet but otherwise unmarked. The sills are complete and unrusted! Even the jacking points look unmangled.

Took it for a drive, well the handbrake is too high, and the brakes were a bit spongey. Nothing a service and but of Rogue love won't sort out. :thumleft: It's got MOT until February 2013 and tax 'til August...so now it's mine.

Unsunny picture, but it's hardly been sunny since I bought it. General warning to you all, last time I bought a convertible it rained the whole summer. :eye:

I never thought I'd buy a stock standard Rev5 UK NA...but there it is. Obviously I am a colour chick! So do I keep it 100% standard or do I do nasty things to it...at the moment I am thinking standard!
(But maybe a Beams at some point :eye: )
:thumleft:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: UK Rev5 NA...in Mica Orange!

Post by tonigmr2 »

I should add, the chap who owned it was in his 50s and a hospital consultant. He'd bought it off an OAP. He'd also refused to sell it the previous week to a young lad he thought would just abuse it!! Somehow I passed the ownership competency test. :mrgreen:

I have MOTs back to 2004 so am satisified the mileage is genuine. A partial service history, and the last guy serviced it himself. But car is incredibly clean, including engine bay.

When it stops raining I'll get some sunny photos as that's when these cars come alive.
craig

Post by craig »

Wasn't this dale's old motor?

Edit- his was a sunroof model, not a t bar.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Nope. Dale's is a sunroof anyway. :wink:

Something interesting though, his numberplate is only two number digits different to this one, so I suspect one UK dealer had two or three Mica Orange cars!

I only know of three UK ones.
Dales sunroof version
One that came up in Scotland last year (t-bar but a Cat C, and an S reg)
This one.

That qualifies as quite rare!

Oh and I think this is the car that was spotted in Norfolk in the spotted section...a map of East Anglia in the glove box and receipts for work in Kings Lynn being the main pointers!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Looks sweet 8)

Those front sidelights look really nice too :thumleft:
mr2turbo_rob

Post by mr2turbo_rob »

thats a nice looking car mate
polmac

Post by polmac »

Thats a very nice find and sounds like its had an easy life, just shows you the usual places to find a car are not always the best.

Lovely colour too !!!
craig

Post by craig »

tonigmr2 wrote:Nope. Dale's is a sunroof anyway. :wink:

Something interesting though, his numberplate is only two number digits different to this one

That's what made me think it was Dale's old one! :mrgreen:
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

cant beat low mileage 2's :D

ive got mot's back to 98 when it was made and its just tipped 78k

lovely colour
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

said it before and I'll say it again, I love that colour. I'm yet to see it in person though, will it be going to any events this year?

Also agree that low milleage cars are awesome, my rev5's currently on 66k. my previous rev5 was around 100k and the difference when working on it is night and day... bolts actually undo without sheering!

I think as far as keeping it standard or modifying goes, finding the right balance is the key. I'd say nothing larey like a bodykit as but nice subtle mods would really make it special... besides I believe you heavily modified a genuine TRD if I'm not mistaken?!
MR2O12

Post by MR2O12 »

looks in nice condition! some all orange jdm front indicators would look good imo
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Looks a fantastic buy does that T!
(I'm sure a BEAMS transplant would do it justice!!)
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

TRD was sold about three years ago. :)

I do not intend to modify it really. I only half thought about wheels, but actually I like it as it is. Depends how frustrated I get with the lack of power.

(having said that just bought some chrome sills, LOL)

I will bring it to JAE defo. Oh and it's going to Duderstadt! :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

tonigmr2 wrote:TRD was sold about three years ago. :)

I do not intend to modify it really. I only half thought about wheels, but actually I like it as it is. Depends how frustrated I get with the lack of power.

(having said that just bought some chrome sills, LOL)

I will bring it to JAE defo. Oh and it's going to Duderstadt! :mrgreen:

What's betting by next year, it's a solar yellow, TRD kitted, Turbo converted MK2 with gold TE37's :lol:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Definitely not! I like the mica orange, it would be a crime to paint such a rare colour!
craig

Post by craig »

tonigmr2 wrote:Definitely not! I like the mica orange, it would be a crime to paint such a rare colour!

Agreed. The orange is a stunning colour! 8)
iain2010

Post by iain2010 »

Lovely looking car. The colour really suits the 2.

Return to “Member Profiles”