Engine bay wash advice...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

riot68

Engine bay wash advice...

Post by riot68 »

Ok, needing to get my engine bay cleaned up, have some engine cleaner etc. however am dubious about getting the hose pipe in there, as I understand it should be fine if I cover up, water proof on some way the sensitive parts, then cleaner on, scrub then blast off with the water.

So question is, which bit's do I need to cover up, remove etc. and is there any other advise anyone can give before I just go for it?

thanks in advance...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
adam1989

Re: Engine bay wash advice...

Post by adam1989 »

Hi,
i dont cover anything up. Normally i spray all purpose cleaner/degreaser all over aggitate a bit then turn the engine on and rinse it off, just dont direct high pressure water at anything like spark plugs, alternature,air intake or fusebox etc.

Adam
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

I did mine just the other day, get a roll of foil. Wrap anything electrical and the tin foil wraps round nice and tight! Then spray with whatever you have brought, scrub away and rinse with the hose on mist setting so not too put to much pressure on the foiled parts.

Run the engine for a few minutes before hand as stubborn grime
Will shift easier when warm and again once you've done to aid in drying out.

I was really sceptical about shoving a hose in the engine bay but once done was well pleased with the results and being careful meant no reprocussions!

Happy days

:thumleft:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

cool have some ideas now, am going to remove all the induction stuff so I can get in to clean better so am going to try and avoid running the engine, maybe bang it back on half way through...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”