Springs - Eiback to stock

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

IanClements

Springs - Eiback to stock

Post by IanClements »

After another Highland Drive with the OC I'm beginning to regret putting Eibach springs on my car a few years back; the car seems to bounce off some of the bumps making it hard to control and bottoms out a fair bit as well.

I'm considering going back to stock springs but wondered if anyone else had done this and regretted it; did they miss the performance of the Eibachs? It's difficult for me to compare with the 20 year old springs I had on before as against any brand new springs I would put on instead. I always preferred the steering response with the stock springs anyway. Slightly worried what it would look like regarding ride height though.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Springs - Eiback to stock

Post by Lauren »

The problem will be that since you've put the springs on, you have effectively made your car underdamped. This is guessing you are still running stock dampers?

There is really nothing worse than having a car that is underdamped as it tends to bounce and is not a nice feeling nor is it a good ride.

A better bet would be to fit upgraded dampers like Koni's which return a perfectably acceptable ride on the softest settings. Your dampers are likely to be way past their best anyway.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Ian has got Konis fitted.

Maybe they're in need of a refurb. :-k
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I have Koni's fitted Lauren, when I say the car is bouncing I don't mean in that floaty underdamped way, just hittings bumps and getting thrown about the road a lot, makes the steering hard and a bit unstable. All to be expected really, if the suspension is too hard the ride will get choppy, I'm just trying to guage whether stock spring will perform better in these conditions. Must admit the Eibach's grip like bu99ery when you push hard, not sure how close stock springs would come.

My Koni's have been in for a while but I have them on about 3/4's most of the time.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I'd try softening the shocks up a wee bit, bring them back a click or two and see how it feels. :-k
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

The times I've suffered that badly on the Koni 4-ways, the shocks have always been dead :( They don't last all that long, especially if worked hard on bad roads.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Is this another reason to go for BC coilovers instead of Konis :-k
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

elbon50 wrote:Is this another reason to go for BC coilovers instead of Konis :-k

Ian has had the shocks on his Mk1 for about 7 years, I don't know if the BCs would last the same length of time with the same amount of use. It's a risk you take I guess. :scratch:
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I'd try softening the shocks up a wee bit, bring them back a click or two and see how it feels.

I did actually try that but it bottoms out more. I haven't doubted the Koni's too much but mine have done about 50k and I know that they're not as stiff as they used to be.
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

For the road I think stock is the way to go. Returned my last car to stock from PIs and found it had much less understeer and generally a nicer ride. Seems many people are pleased with Koni's though.

I've 184BHP and stock springs & dampers, stiffer rear ARB, polybushes and a slight front geometry change I'm very happy.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I guess it could be that perhaps your Koni's have seen better days, Ian.

Thing is, if you are keeping the car long term, I guess refreshing the suspension every 7 years or so, is what you need to do to keep it tight.

What sort of mileage have you done on them?
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

About 50K I think, don't get any body roll or anything.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

That's a fair old mileage to be fair. Am guessing as you say, the Koni's are past their best.

I'd be tempted to refresh the springs and dampers.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Thanks for the comments guys, Perculis has offfered me a ride in his car to compare so going to try that next week.
D1SDM

Post by D1SDM »

I've got Eibachs on mine with good condition shocks and have no issues at all,in fact I'm very happy with them,comfort wise and performance.
tomsky

Post by tomsky »

I am also considering going back to standard shocks and springs after a period with kybs the ride quality on anything less than a perfect road is just laughable had no issues with the standard setup and was far more comfortable and handling was still good.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Just need to say thanks to Perculis who gave me a demo of his car. His standard springs and shocks were pretty impressive especially given they're age so I'm seriously thinking about changing springs now.

Oh and the 2zz engine also gets a big thumbs up as does your driving mate, falling back in love with the MK1 as I type. After chasing round after MK3's last week in Scotland I can see now I still have the right car, just need to drive it harder!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

tomsky wrote:I am also considering going back to standard shocks and springs after a period with kybs the ride quality on anything less than a perfect road is just laughable had no issues with the standard setup and was far more comfortable and handling was still good.

Start with stock springs with the KYBs, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. KYBs are somewhat harsh with hard, low springs. :lol:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

My car was doing what you described when i had my konis on full soft. I have them half a turn on all 4 now and its much better. I've got the Lesjofor springs.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

IanClements wrote:About 50K I think, don't get any body roll or anything.

Mine have done approx 90k and I don't have any issues with bottoming out or bouncing - may be something else?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”