REV 3 Turbo timing alignement marks help

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2Madlad

REV 3 Turbo timing alignement marks help

Post by Mr2Madlad »

Hi

Had many issues with engine caused by oil pump gasket leak meaning I had to strip it down and replace, now I have a question.

Before I took the cambelt off (which I have now replaced) I aligned the 2 cam shafts with the marks / drill outs on the camshaft caps this is the usual (also lines up a small dot on cam sproket with a line pressed in backing metal bolted to head) however the crankshaft pully mark lines up with the "10" mark shown on the lower plastic cover.

The manual says align the cams to the drill outs and crankshaft pully to "0" ( mine was set to "10")

Should I align it to the manual "0" or use what it was set to ?

Cheers
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: REV 3 Turbo timing alignement marks help

Post by Peter Gidden »

Crank should be aligned to TDC, i.e. 0 degrees when timing cams or replacing belt.

The 10 mark refers to 10 degrees BTDC used for ignition timing.
Mr2Madlad

Post by Mr2Madlad »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Crank should be aligned to TDC, i.e. 0 degrees when timing cams or replacing belt.

The 10 mark refers to 10 degrees BTDC used for ignition timing.

So in other words the timing belt is out somwhow hence the mark on crank pully lining up with 10 when camshafts are aligned to the marks ?

Will set per manual then 0 and marks on cams, wonder how it got a tooth out on crank ? seemed to run ok before but will it run better now ?

cheers
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Mr2Madlad wrote:So in other words the timing belt is out somwhow hence the mark on crank pully lining up with 10 when camshafts are aligned to the marks ?

Correct.

Mr2Madlad wrote:wonder how it got a tooth out on crank ?

If 10 degrees out, it's more than 1 tooth. Probably set wrong when last belt change done.

Mr2Madlad wrote:seemed to run ok before but will it run better now ?

I would have thought so.

Don't forget to reset ignition timing when belt done, since the distributor is driven by the inlet cam. To set ignition timing, short out pins E1 and TE1 in diagnostic port, and with engine idling use a strobe to align crank mark with 10 degrees BTDC mark.
Mr2Madlad

Post by Mr2Madlad »

After a long time I finally report good news.

Tensioner was the issue, not strong and after setting it to all marks and running it for a few months tubby got all rough and upset, checked marks and guess what they were out.

The tensioner seemed to be a little to easy to push back in this time so I bought a new one which I had a real hard job pushing the pin back in on when I took the grenade (release) pin out to compare the 2 so think the issue was belt was too slack.

She's all good and repaired again ready for her 2oth birthday next year

Cheers for all the help.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”