V6, Turbo Swap or New car?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sloopeh

V6, Turbo Swap or New car?

Post by sloopeh »

Hi guys seeking your advice

I currently own this lovely n/a rev4 - the only car i have ever kept for more than a month or two because I love it.

it is almost mint - a few stone chips and a teensy bit of underside rust but nothing substaintial.

P6070010 by sloopeh

I want more beans and more grunt so what should i do.......?

Turbo swap, V6 or buy a new one? it would have to be a sonic shadow turbo rev 4 or 5 and yes i know they are rare and would cost.

Reliability is important, money less so.

Your advice would be most welcome.

PS if the general consensus is turbo swap/V6 is there anywhere in the south east that you know of who can do this?
nickg07

Re: V6, Turbo Swap or New car?

Post by nickg07 »

Honestly depends how deep your pockets are.

I seriously considered a 350z nissan. If i get rid of the tubby ill probably grab one of those instead.

Neither going turbo or v6 is cheap. If you added up the value you'd be much closer to Z
Money..?
sloopeh

Post by sloopeh »

350z is a big fat heffalump!!! :p

altough......

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3713401.htm

does look nice....

but then I like having a car i dont have to worry too much about. with that on my drive i'd be too worried i think. The joys of loving the mr2 - basically my favorite car and it's pretty much disposable right?
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I'd go turbo if your car is good enough underneath ie no rust.

Depends if you like boost or torque. I like boost :thumleft:
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

turbo it or buy a new car.

Turbo swap is straight forward V6 conversion will also cost more with engine mounts and wiring etc and will have less power and you'll wonder why the hell you spent all that money on it.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

I love boost too. But i always have in the back of my mind some paranoid thoughts.

Am i boosting too hard?
Can she take it?
Will the turbo blow?
Too hot?
Too cold?
Leaking anywhere (coolant, fuel, oil)

I bought the mr2 to relive that 90s mad Japanese turbo fest and it delivers the thrills but also the bills!

Of course the same can be said for many cars but is particularly true of these types of cars.

Ultimately if the price of a new gearbox, or engine etc doesn't make you flinch then you can probably ignore the above.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Depends on your budget and what you want out of the car?

I wanted more go than the standard Turbo and wanted the response of a big n/a. I went 2GR V6 which is a fantastic thing, but its downside is cost.

As far as downsides go that is it, the rest is fantastic :thumleft:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

If money is no objective, what about the 3.5 vvti v6 instead of the stand 3.0?...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
sloopeh

Post by sloopeh »

thanks for the input - i guess lack of faff should have been in there somewhere too! i am so lazy i just want to take it somwehere and say 'make it go faster'

probaly makes me sound like a pleb but hey. suppose i am just a bit bored and want to keep the love affair happening so i dont have to get a new car......

problem i can see with those conversions is well, woodsport is miles from me and i dont have time to embark on a diy option so i am going to be limited to local options at the moment there arent any that i know of

how much roughly was the 2gr v6 riot?
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Fwiw im not trying to put you off going faster. The smile that going into boost puts on my face has lasted for months and is growing wider as ive unlocked more torque with an ebc.

if you do go turbo, you'll probably need most of a rear clib, like engine, gearbox, ecu, drive shafts etc

If you love the car i dont see why not to do an engine swap, just trying to relay the realistic burdens that it might bring.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

2gr or turbo!!!!! Have to say though i feel there is something a bit limp wristed about the 2gr... Yes i know the performance is mental.... But its not in my opinion what MR2s are all about... whooooooorrrrrrr psssssshhhhhhhh You just cant beat it \:D/
sloopeh

Post by sloopeh »

ok i think i get the picture...... i fancy a bit of banging and wooshing so a turbo conversion sounds like a plan. so next question - who can do this in London/SE?
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

As mad as it sounds mate, maybe just buy a well looked after turbo car?

Save yourself the massive headache and cost.

You can get a nice rev3 turbo for £3k now easily.
sloopeh

Post by sloopeh »

sounds sad but.....

black over silver makes the mr2 look so awesome and i believe this was only available from rev4 onwards?

looooooooook at the awesomenessss...! :)

P6100065 by sloopeh, on Flickr
uglee

Post by uglee »

A.BLAKE wrote:2gr or turbo!!!!! Have to say though i feel there is something a bit limp wristed about the 2gr... Yes i know the performance is mental.... But its not in my opinion what MR2s are all about... whooooooorrrrrrr psssssshhhhhhhh You just cant beat it \:D/

Nah, the 4 pot was used as fitting a V6 into the MR2 would have put it into a similar market and competed for some sales with the n/a Supra. The Mk2 is more of a A-road blaster than a point and squirt B-road car.
The 2GR is the perfect match for power, noise and lower weight in the Mk2 :thumleft:

I used to love the noises of a Turbo, until as you describe you whooooooorrrrrrr psssssshhhhhhhh bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeugh as you slowly come to a halt after blowing a hose for the umpteenth time.
Final straw was when it blew a hose on the M8, on a section with no hard shoulder. The burns I received on my arms when shoving it back on the bottom of the intercooler had to be treated everyday for 3 weeks :eye:

There's lots of big power turbo's around, just got to go in with the knowledge you'll constantly be tinkering with the thing to keep it going.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Without a doubt a 2gr is a better car, it would show my tubby tail lights any day of the week not to mention that you would probably get your money back if you ever did want to sell it.. But, i do love character of the tubby, i like that whole JDM elitist thing, i love buying parts for it, polishing bits, and every one is unique, it could be a oil dripping dog or it could be a 500bhp monster and the whole thing that you do have to be a true petrol head to put up with it.. Basically they are all great its nice to have so many options.. But me ... Im a turbo man :D
sloopeh

Post by sloopeh »

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah i dont know what to do now. I have, however, thought more what prompted me to write this post

Life is short - interest rates are crap so I may as well spend some cash.....so really just looking at ways to buy a new toy/spend some money and have some fun....before the summer too

spent the day window shopping yesterday and the only thing which is floating my boat is a 350z

i am not entirely sure speed is the ultimate goal either - just got an itch i want to scratch but cant find the itch...

maybe i should get a custom interior done instead ](*,)
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Whatever you decide keep us posted...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

350z - shame its not turbo but it has decent after market support ~ 300 bhp and much newer than another mr...true its a bit heavier but show me some modern cars that have gotten appreciably lighter...

i guess my point is you could spend the best part of 350z offeringmoney transplanting but is likely to have more issues and lower resale than the zed by the end.
sloopeh

Post by sloopeh »

cant believe imoc forum talking me into getting a different car ! :mrgreen:

350z does look the nuts in black though and would be nice to have a 2005 plate instead of something from the 80s or 90s for a change.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”