[Mk2] [Turbo] timing belt running off

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gav66

[Mk2] [Turbo] timing belt running off

Post by gav66 »

hi all,
i have fitted a new timming belt to my 3sgte , put the belt on in the middle of the 2 camshaft pulleys but when i turn the engine with the cranckshaft pulley the belt moves to the back of the pulleys.
is this normal. this is my first mr2 and not sure if this is the way the belt should be.

thanks in advance
dantheman

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] timing belt running off

Post by dantheman »

a belt will always choose where it wants to align. as long as the whole belt is on the pulley and not rubbing on anything its fine. If you arent happy with where it is slide it more forwards on all the pulleys and keep rotating the engine until it has sorted itself out.
gav66

Post by gav66 »

thanks for the quick reply. the belt is over hanging the back off the cam pulleys by about 2-3 mm and also very close to the water pump casing ?
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

ye thats not normal. try shiffling it forward and rotate the engine a few times. if needs be remove the tensioner to do it.
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

I'd say you've forgot to put the washer behind the tensioner jockey wheel. A mate just had the exact same problem on his ST185 and that's what it was.
gav66

Post by gav66 »

thanks lads will start again now i know thats not rite, didnt realise there was a washer behind the tensioner pulley but ill find it if it was there, if not ill need to buy one. big thanks. :mrgreen:
gav66

Post by gav66 »

right, found the washer and replaced it. but still running to the engine side.
what i did notice was that as i turned the crank the belt started moving over from the number 1 idle pulley to the crankshaft pulley...think i need to replace both of these ?

Return to “Mechanical”