Problems with 3rd gear

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Evo-Mr2

Problems with 3rd gear

Post by Evo-Mr2 »

I have had a problem in the last couple of weeks getting into 3rd gear. It doesn't happen all the time, there is no crunching or grinding it just doesn't go. A couple of times I have managed to give it a hard shove and it reluctantly 'pops' into gear but afterwards I have noticed a strong burning clutch smell.

So that leads me to my question, does this sound like a knacked clutch or a knackered gearbox?
richard1984

Re: Problems with 3rd gear

Post by richard1984 »

I had an old 206 like that it sounds like the clutch isn’t disengaging proper???

Try bleeding the clutch as with the 206 it was a stretched clutch cable!!
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I had this when I bought my car. It wouldn't go into 3rd at all, and would only go into fourth with some serious strength and coaxing. EVeryone kept saying to replace the clutch and the gearbox. BUT...

Before you fork out on a new clutch or gearbox there are some easy things to do first.

1) This is difficult to explain and not many people know about it/check it. You will need to strip the back section of the car apart by the gearbox bushes. Lift off the metal plate that holds the two bushes down in place. In-between the bushes and not visible from underneath there is a metal square which aids in gearchanging. Basically it sits on a pin and moves with the gearlinkage. If this is over-worn on one side or seized it will not change into certain gears. Mine was seized in place and so wouldnt change into 2 of my gears and it blocked the linkages from moving. Just pop it off and WD40 inside...

That probably makes no sense...

Heres my build thread which also probably doesnt make much sense

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

2) Polybush the gearbox bushes as these wear and make it difficult to change in or out of certain gears. Its only around £20 for the set and takes 10 - 15 minutes.

Then start looking at clutch and gearbox renewals...
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

TBH if it was the clutch you would probably have difficult changing into any gear.

Test it by double-clutching before changing into 3rd and see if his makes a difference.

Also try oiling/lubing the gear linkages....

If not the answer in my first post I would suggest that its probably your gearbox.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Karl, that's really interesting. I've also been having gear selection problems and this sounds like it could be the fix I need!
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I knew I bookmarked a few relevant pages that explain it better... I spent literally 1000s of hours trying to sort out what this problem could be on my car until I stumbled across this.

Its a write up from the MK1 but the same principal and located in the same place, and trust me it worked perfectly. The part number of a new square if you should need it is 33527B.

Heres a document explaining it better:

http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-1-mr2-aw11 ... death.html

These pictures also helped me immensly (as theyre from a MK2) when I stripped mine down to do it, and tried to wrap my head around what was going on:

http://www.chicoraceworks.com/gallery/shifting

Above is almost a month of researching the problem in my spare time, lol. So I hope this helps :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

It sounds exactly like my issue, I've been stressing over gearbox rebuilds until I read your post!
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Marf wrote:It sounds exactly like my issue, I've been stressing over gearbox rebuilds until I read your post!

Don't stress mate - it'll be fine.

Spend around 30-40 minutes taking the relevant parts out of your engine bay to get to the square linkage.

If its worn, turn it around to face the other way - its crued but it'll last another 20 years cost free (or buy another from Toyota)

Or it'll be seized and just grease or WD40 it., then put it back.

Mine felt like a brand new gearbox when I did it. I was amazed!

Problem solved \:D/
Evo-Mr2

Post by Evo-Mr2 »

Wow, cheers for the help Karl, I have also been stressing about expensive gearbox rebuilds and clutch replacements as well. At least this gives me something to go on.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Not a problem - just post up letting me know how you get on and if it works for you aswell :thumleft:
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Wow, that reminded me of that piece of info which i also discovered 3 years ago and had subsequently completely forgotten about.

I very much doubt the clutch because you say it doesnt crunch. If the clutch wasnt disengaging you would get a crunch, probably in every gear. My money would be on the shifting mechanism or linkages over and above the clutch or gearbox internal problems
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Gonna do mine...pukka post Karl...I kept losing the one from my old gearbox, 3 or 4 times it fell out as I was trying to put it into reverse at home and Tesco's....lol...I actually thought mine was that shape for a reason.
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

You can get gear cable bearings from JSP.

I replaced mine last summer, as I had the same problem, all sorted now :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”