Weird knocking sound I cannot diagnose...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Weird knocking sound I cannot diagnose...

Post by Chr15py »

Mooooorning!

Right, I have a weird knocking from what sounds like the front left corner.

Symptoms are:
Knocking/rattle when going over any bumps but almost fully disappears if going around any corner (roundabouts, junctions etc).
Gets less noticeable the faster in going - very occasional when at motorway speeds.

I have checked the drop links and they still have no movement. I have a suspicion that the front dampers may need a refurb but what else could it be? Would rather get everything sorted while I have the front shocks out.

Any ideas would be appreciated as disassembly starts on the 24th November....

Cheers
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
craig

Re: Weird knocking sound I cannot diagnose...

Post by craig »

Bottom ball joints, track rod ends, top mounts, could be a range of things mate. Anti roll bar and control arm bushes? Everything tight?
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

I have the same thing, checked everything except top mounts
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

im willing to bet £1 that its your front brake pads rattling around, or the caliper pins are worn allowinf the caliper to rattle :thumleft:

had the same on mine - replaced everything ended up being the caliper and pads ](*,)
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

RedMR² wrote:Bottom ball joints

That gets my vote.
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Cheers for the replys guys.
Would the ball joints cause it to knock badly apart from when cornering though? It literally sounds like a metal peg clonking in a bigger hole hence me thinking it was top mounts ir ARB bushes. I wouldn't be surprised as my suspension is quite hard and they were changed 4 years ago when the coilovers were put on lol.

Ok so what's the best way to test their condition?
Thanks again
Chris
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hello fella, you're well I hope. Glad you haven't sold up.
Can't help with diagnosis.. it could be any of the aforementioned or something else altogether but if you fancy a run down the A1 you're only about 60 miles from Pacific Works. Luke will find the issue if anyone will and I'll treat you to a coffee and a go in mine.

R.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Are your wheel nuts tight?
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

ashman wrote:Are your wheel nuts tight?

Yes, completely all tight. Was the first thing I thought of :(. I made a recorded video of it when driving back home. Will try to get it uploaded so you can have a listen.

Chris
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Chr15py wrote:Cheers for the replys guys.
Would the ball joints cause it to knock badly apart from when cornering though? It literally sounds like a metal peg clonking in a bigger hole hence me thinking it was top mounts ir ARB bushes. I wouldn't be surprised as my suspension is quite hard and they were changed 4 years ago when the coilovers were put on lol.

Ok so what's the best way to test their condition?
Thanks again
Chris

Your noise sounds pretty much exactly as mine did, and under the same circumstances. I think that when you have the wheel loaded, as you do when cornering, the slight amount of play is removed hence no noise. I checked for play in the ball joints and there wasn't any. To be fair, even when I removed it it appeared to be fine. Only when the new one was on did the noise go away.
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Right, is definitely the damper as I got the front of the car off the ground and put a bar under the tyre and lifted - the piston and body of the damper knocked.
Oh well, have spoken to Bilstein and a refurb of the fronts has been booked in :).
Chris
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

That's interesting... I had both new yellow billies on the front of mine replaced under guarantee within the first 18 mths or so because they did the same thing... piston moves sideways in the strut and starts 'knocking' accordingly. Are they under guarantee still fella?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Chr15py wrote:Right, is definitely the damper as I got the front of the car off the ground and put a bar under the tyre and lifted - the piston and body of the damper knocked.
Oh well, have spoken to Bilstein and a refurb of the fronts has been booked in :).
Chris

How much do they charge ?
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

HighwayStar wrote:That's interesting... I had both new yellow billies on the front of mine replaced under guarantee within the first 18 mths or so because they did the same thing... piston moves sideways in the strut and starts 'knocking' accordingly. Are they under guarantee still fella?

Nah mine are Bilstein Coilovers - had them refurbed when I got them 4 years ago so cant really go back them now :lol:

Chris
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Marf wrote:
Chr15py wrote:Right, is definitely the damper as I got the front of the car off the ground and put a bar under the tyre and lifted - the piston and body of the damper knocked.
Chris

How much do they charge ?

Well its £80+ vat for a basic refurb. If anything serious needs replacing like the piston itself, the maximum it would cost is £160.

Chris

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”