Car coughing spluttering until warmed up - ignitor?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

Car coughing spluttering until warmed up - ignitor?

Post by ryan »

My car has been running poorly, 'missing' in wet weather. Recently it was hitting boost cut as well but this was found to be a faulty AVCr solonoid. Anyway, this week I changed the rusty coil/ignitor bracket and tried bashing and drilling out the rusty screws holding the ignitor in, since then (last two days) the car coughs and splutters as soon as im on boost until the car gets up to temperature. Previously it was doing this in wet weather only. Could I have damaged the ignitor?
Replaced so far
Coil
Rotor arm
Dizzy cap
leads will be next but I cant see any arcing at night with a fine water spray.
The missing is quite severe, like a kangaroo jerk and a pop or bang even sometimes. I also noticed a wire has a small bit of insulation missing where one of the little wires goes ito the ignitor plug but thought it was too small to worry about. Any ideas peeps?
Snulty

Re: Car coughing spluttering until warmed up - ignitor?

Post by Snulty »

theres an O ring seal that goes on before the dizzy cap, if its flatned it might not be sealing properly, pull the dizzy cap off and make sure theres not water in there.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Snulty wrote:theres an O ring seal that goes on before the dizzy cap, if its flatned it might not be sealing properly, pull the dizzy cap off and make sure theres not water in there.

No, I ordered a new one and its in there :?
Snulty

Post by Snulty »

ahh good. how much was it? im replacing my dizzy cap soon.

oh & BUMP!
ryan

Post by ryan »

Snulty wrote:ahh good. how much was it? im replacing my dizzy cap soon.

oh & BUMP!

Well the dust seal I bought ages ago, cant remember how much. The dizzy cap was only 17 quid (genuine toyota) off Ebay, a guy bought it by mistake. Theyre 70 quid ish new from Toyota but the non Toyota ones are a lot cheaper
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Does sound almost certainly HT related given it runs badly in the wet. Can you swap the HT bits and igniter over with another owner near you?

You sure the dizzy cap is a genuine Toyota one? Old Blueprint parts sometimes used to give flatspots.

Also - you checked the condition of the plugs and inside of the HT lead sitting on the top of the plug - I've had one fail there.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

When was the last time you changed your plugs Ryan? My copper BKR7E's were only a year old (approx 7-8k miles) and recently the car has been running rough when cold and not great even when fully up to temperature. A new set and all is well again.

Certainly cheaper than a set of leads!
ryan

Post by ryan »

Ben, Slarty, The plugs were changed about 8 months/11k ago so they need changing for some new ones (one for the weekend).
the dizzy is a genuine Toyota one, has Denso embossed into it and came in the sealed bag with part no on it.
I just found out that the ignitor is earthed through the bracket (I cable tied it on after changing the bracket for a new one and was unable to bet the screws out of the ignitor to attach to the new bracket) I have now drilled the screws out and put new ones in and the car seems fine from cold. I was also getting an erratic rpm needle, but I was told this earths through the ignitor bracket as well, so that all fixed!
Thanks guys!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”