What do TRD reps go for these days?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bluesmoke

What do TRD reps go for these days?

Post by bluesmoke »

How much do decent Rev 3 Turbo engined T-Bar TRD reps generally go for now? I've been thinking that I'd quite like one once I've broken my car :)

How can you tell if it's a good quality kit, and whether it's well fitted?
JeffD

Re: What do TRD reps go for these days?

Post by JeffD »

One sold on ebay 4 days ago for £1,100

(Youll need to set your ebay to completed listings)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MR2-TRD-PROJE ... 338wt_1185

Your best bet is to buy an abandoned project as these seem to come up quite regularly and go for very little money. IIRC there was a gold coloured one a few months back that went for £300-400 and Mick TopGun on OC bought a blck one for about £1200 about a year ago. Might be worth speaking to Jack-P too as he cut a blended kit off a car and successfully reapplied it onto another - again IIRC he didn't pay much.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

I'm not sure about an abandonned project..... A huge part of the reason I want to break mine is because the bodywork would take too much £££ to get right.

However, if I could find one with a turbo engine and in generally good condition bar crappy paintwork or something, for a couple of grand, I'd have circa £2k to put it right once my car is broken. That should be enough to sort something like that?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Honestly mate I think no chance for that sort of money. You're talking of a finished half decent rev3, I suspect you'd need at least £4K.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

I'd spend £4k on a nice one, deffo. I'd rather that than an unfinished car.

What would really worry me though, is whether the paint or fibreglass would be liable to crack. That would just ruin it for me.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

I should add, I would rather buy a mint non TRD rep car, than end up with a TRD that's ropey or likely to crack.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

decent rev 3 tubby with a decent trd kit... 4k would be far too cheap :( i expect around 6k providing everythings good at least,

i may be proven wrong but i think your budget's a little low, id try giving mick (topgun) a shout on the oc, he has his trd v6 up for grabs at the right price 8)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

bluesmoke wrote:I should add, I would rather buy a mint non TRD rep car, than end up with a TRD that's ropey or likely to crack.

If your budget is £4K that's a much better option IMHO!
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Yep, it's something I am keeping in mind. The main thing is that if I go to the trouble of breaking my current car, I MUST find something that will be a lot less hassle/expense as far as bodywork goes.

A mint normal MK2 to stick a set of Abflug arches on might be an idea. Not sure yet.

It's going to be tough. My mind is going to become clouded with whther I do want a TRD, don't want a TRD, should I buy a MK3 instead etc etc. ](*,)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

/whisper MK3s less than £3K a lot newer and look fantastic with the GT300 kit on. My next project. :mrgreen:
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

tonigmr2 wrote:/whisper MK3s less than £3K a lot newer and look fantastic with the GT300 kit on. My next project. :mrgreen:

I Really hope you whispered that so low he couldn't hear it :lol:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

More will see the light. :mrgreen:

bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

I think I will give the MK3 a miss this time tbh. I have thought about it. But I want to do a 2 week Euro trip next summer, much easier with a MK2, and I would need that kit AND a turbo conversion, as the MK3 just isn't fast enough for me. And I'd want a facelift car for a turbo setup.

I do accept it's a better car than the MK2, but I don't want to repeat past mistakes and try to do too much on too small a budget and end up regretting it.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well I think you are probably right and the MK2 is a better european tour car!
ashley

Post by ashley »

tonigmr2 wrote:More will see the light. :mrgreen:

Who's is that Toni, not yours? I want one! :mrgreen:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Not mine...unfortunately. :mrgreen: But I'm having evil thoughts. :twisted:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Back up for sale...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MR2-TRD-PROJE ... 338wt_1185

I'd go along and offer him £900 cash. You could get most of your money back breaking the car to get som eof the bits off it then just keep the kit to put on your own car :-)
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Hmmm lots of work required there. Not really what I'm looking for. Although it is cheap. Plus Rev 1 so no PAS??

Not for me, this one :(
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Argh you've got my brain going into overdrive now.

Jeff, what do you think of the kit? Is it decent as far as the shape/looks go? Does it look like a proper one? There's no point otherwise.

If I could pull in about £4k selling all my bits, I could buy a nice Rev 3 Turbo and put a grand towards what, £1500 of bodyshop work to fit and spray?

But would it look naff close up, be likely to crack, and so on?
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

to me that car looks like a bit of a bargain, these cars are getting worryingly cheap... so much so i cant see me selling mine for a VERY long time! one thing to note is the front bumper and wings have been bonded as has the rear quarters to the sideskirts, not necessarily a negative if its been done properly but that area would be prone to cracks.
oh and because the bumpers been bonded its very noticeable as a replica and not genuine. genuine trd's also have the rub strips on the doors continued through the car which this obviously does not. finally, the foglights sit deeper on genuine cars.
having said all this, it could be a very nice car once finished 8)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”