[Mk2] [NA] The N/A Aftermarket exhaust 'saga'

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

south_wales_MR2

[Mk2] [NA] The N/A Aftermarket exhaust 'saga'

Post by south_wales_MR2 »

Hi there,

I've been thinking about changing my exhaust for a while now. Ever since I had the exhaust off for Alternator, Timing kit change, water pump etc.. It hasn't sounded right (Was taken off, put back on, taken off again, then put back on again) as I had a new cat fitted for MOT around the same time.

I think my mid-section is fubar anyway so I contacted Japspeed as they are one of very few companies that actually do an aftermarket exhaust for my car. I really want to keep my cat on there for MOT purposes and Japspeed aren't currently making anymore N/A backboxes #-o

So, I decided to look into buying a Turbo exhaust and having it modified. The only real issue seems to be that the N/A exhaust has like a 90degree 'kink' in it just before the Cat, whereas the Turbo seems to go from mid-section straight to the back of the car.

I then saw a picture of a Blitz Nur Spec R on the net and it seems to be close enough to my standard backbox just to have it as a cat-back system. It bends round from the cat, from Nearside to Offside, and come out the Offside rear which is exactly what I want.

Has anyone doe this on their N/A or know if the Nur Spec R would pair up to my car ok? I've been told that they are quite loud systems aswell so not sure what it would be like on an N/A.

Any help, suggestions would be great! All the systems I see for sale by me or on the net are for Turbos! If its not too hard to modify one I might get one.

Thanks
south_wales_MR2

Re: [Mk2] [NA] The N/A Aftermarket exhaust 'saga'

Heres a link with a good picture of the Nur Spec R.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLITZ-NUR-SPE ... 4148bde4e7[/img]

If i 'Do-away' with the two pipes on the left, surely it wouldnt be too much hassle to pair that backbox to my N/A
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Blueflame is still available from Rogue as far as I know. Pics of mine on my n/a in my garage. Deeper sound and bigger, angled cans. Think you can still get a few others also. Checked out Fensport? You could always get Hayward & Scott to make up one of your own design.

R
south_wales_MR2

Hmm had a look on Rogue's link. Got some good exhausts there. The Mongoose for £259.99 delivered is a good deal, but I really want single exit. Seems that if you have an N/A then you either get Blueflame, Mongoose or Japspeed.

I like the 'shiny-shiny' aspect to Japspeed's system which is why I thought "Well if its got to be twin-exit off the shelf, its going to be the Japspeed."

But now they dont make them I thought for the money I'm spending, I want it to be something I really want, not just "Oh well, that'll do I suppose"

Just wonder if the Nur Spec R would deafen me after a week being for a Turbo, I presume pipes would be wider
PsyKen
Premium Member

Post by PsyKen »

It's Uber rare, but I my mate used to have a Sard single exit back box on his N/A. It looked great and sounded awesome.

Very very loud though. But if you're in the market for a Jap speed. I think it's about the same.

Good luck finding something you like. I myself have a blueflame, and I like it alot, but I may get a japspeed soon....
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 3 Turbo SMG
Toms C7R, Carbotech pads, Berk DP & back box, Tein Flex, Mines ecu.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

The blitz can be adapted easy enough to fit the N/A ,i know a couple who have done it,BUT they are very loud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42-SMkizWQM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXvjpfGz ... re=related

Not single exit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-NO ... 2a12e7be70

Some custom exhaust places who would make you one to spec

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-EX ... 27bcaea405

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROFLOW-STAIN ... 2a10921783

or just go for second hand and modify to suit
south_wales_MR2

:shock: Ok im not having a Blitz Nur Spec adapted to fit my N/A. I live in quite a quiet neighbourhood and dont want my car getting keyed after everytime I want to pop to the shops of an evening lol!

Thanks BLZ-8027, the 'Japspeed-esque' ones for £299 on ebay look good! For the life of me I couldnt find them on ebay.

I know they will be loud aswell, but I could always get two bungs fitted to quieten it slightly.

Food for thought!
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Mate,
Forget any aftermarket system as for a n/a car they just don't give you the gains.
You'll never make the n/a faster with an exhaust as you know so if you want a single exit (the only option I would even consider for my car) then get it custom made to fit after the cat pipe.
I've just bought an ebay special £38 delievered de-cat pipe and in the future I'll simply get a single exit to fit on after the cat and with a reasonably quiet back box that exits out of the offside rear.

With a custom system you can decide how loud it can be and back boxes are available in long/thin/short/fat etc etc and with whatever tail pipe you like, all with the lifetime warranty.
Blue flame ones are ok and as they are the cheapest pre-made system it'd be the only one I'd choose for an n/a.
south_wales_MR2

Yeh dont want any performance gains from changing the exhaust. My mid-section and backbox need changing anyway so I may aswell go aftermarket (Better sound, looks and cheaper than standard)

I think im going to get a post-cat backbox. Dont want to lose the Catalytic convertor, only done a few hundred miles since MOT.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Cat pipes are so easy to get to though so MOT with it on and then de-cat it after. :D
If your doing mid section too then you might be better of just getting a completed system with a high flow cat pipe.
Get it to run as short as you can get away with for max gains or OEM shaped for bog standard performance.

I have to say though that if you don't want any noise your a bit stuck to be fair especially if you want a single exit. You have to have pretty much the OEM system but with one pipe instead of 2 pipes which would look silly. You'd be better off with a blueflame as they aren't much louder than OEM.
If your going single you have to be prepared for extra noise as your shortening the route the exhaust gases run.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

oh boy, did I go through a couple of weird exhausts on my NA.

Kakimoto single exit (was broken and it got worse) but sounded good for a while...
Ebay jobbie single exit - sounded very raspy, but pretty loud, crap fitting (was hanging to the ground)

Forget the Japspeed, unless you want to go deaf.

The best of the bunch of NA exhausts I had, was the Blueflame NA exhaust, and it was what I sold the car with.. Not too loud, fitted perfectly, sounded good.

I think HKS silent Hi-power could be a good option, would take some work to adapt it to NA but it's a very quiet good looking single exit exhaust.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Thing with HKS/Blitz is they are silly prices to buy.
Blueflame or a custom single exit are the best options.
I actually prefer the Blueflame looks compared to any other system as I like the angled tail pipe exits.
Plus as said, it will fit perfectly to a de-cat pipe or OEM cat pipe.
:thumleft:
Bang for buck the Blueflame maybe the best option.
if you have the extra ££ then go custom for sure. :)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

What about a Janspeed system? Mine came with one, its docile if you keep the revs down, and really opens up at 3.5 to 4k rpm.

www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/194037/to ... ss784.html

min quantity of 5 there, but im sure you can find one elsewhere, this was just the first link.

one came up for sale on here, a bit battered, for 100 or so a few months ago!
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Custom custom custom.
Book an appointment. Choose you parts for loudness/performance and have it fitted for less money than a bog standard aftermarket system and be unique....with your lifetime warranty.
:thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Meh... quite like the Janspeed thanks! doesnt look silly, if anything it could pass for standard, quiet unless you go near WOT and keep the revs down, but nice sounding when you do open her up. :thumleft:
ryan

Post by ryan »

Theres a Phoenix Power Departure 1 exhaust on Ebay at the mo, but I think its in USA. That would be a nice mod!
south_wales_MR2

Finally, after weeks of looking for a single exit, Dan89 sold me a custom single-exit Powerflow exhaust.

I didn't like the 'flame-tip' style end to it but I polished it up and looks better now in my opinion. Will be fitting tomorrow so hopefully goes on easily.
Last edited by south_wales_MR2 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee8ballauto

Post by Lee8ballauto »

I have one of the Japanese turbo
Exhausts on my n/a with no cat and it is shockingly loud lol

Return to “Modifications”