Cracked block and my exit :(

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Yas

Cracked block and my exit :(

Post by Yas »

Well it's been a long road and I officially give up after 6 years of ownership. Long story short... full on engine build, lined rev2 block 86mm pistons, engine run in ~1000miles, mapping session got to 1.4bar and the block let go

Gutted as it took many years to get the car to where it is, alot of time and a sh*t load of money, blood, sweat and tears sums it up! Not forgetting the forum and members for the help along the way :thumleft: I never got a chance to post pics but for those interested here's some snaps(excuse the quality, never got round to taking proper pictures :( )

The car will be stripped for parts so keep an eye on the parts for sale section for a whole load of goodies.

It's been a pleasure all, thanks for the help :)

Yas
Last edited by Yas on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
craig

Re: Cracked block and my exit :(

Post by craig »

WOW mate, that's drastic after how much work has been put in to the car!

Can you not just stick a new engine in it?

If you do break, I'm interested in that rear bumper :wink:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

gutted for you mate
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

id be on the hunt for a new block. it can be hard.
ive had a total of three engines destroyed, 2 with rod failure and one cracked. and each time i had to have a long hard think about carrying on with it. each time i thought about the hard work and money put in and built up another engine.
its a bit hard to tell the location of that crack, is it near the water pump at the front of the block?
gutted for you though dude, i know what its like
Yas

Post by Yas »

I thought long and hard about this before commiting, it's just not happening. My first engine build lasted all of 3k miles(camshaft snapped/damage to bores and piston) I put that down to the engine builder for a messy 'quick' job.

On this second build I went all out and unfortunatley as you all know labour plays a massive part in builds like this and with all work carried out by a garage it's more the money side of things that stopped me from carrying on tbh.

The crack is on the thermostat side of the block, so back of engine depending on how you look at it :eye:
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Gutted for you mate, ive cracked 2 blocks now!! I found that anyhting over the 400bhp mark and its look of the draw. Im now on a stock rev3 running 1 bar to keep it nice and safe. Id do what ive done mate, your car looks mint dont break it!!

I sold all my shinny bits and got a low mileage engine slapped in and i had money left over for new brakes etc.

Around 300bhp is still loads of fun nad you will kill most cars on the road at the power. Just a thought mate :thumleft:
kennym

Sorry couldn't resist

Post by kennym »

I'm sure eveyone on imoc will join me in wishing you ......... Would hurry up & list the parts ..... Lol sorry mate couldnt resist .... I sympathey's & wish you well
3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

wow what a shame Yas, if you decide to keep it and want a reasonable solution to a forged engine to drop in gimme a call.
All the best.
James
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

That was a nice two but these things happen

I half way down the same road with one engine failure fingers crossed I've got it right this time
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

its amazing how easy these block crack...my mate has a 700bhp LET, no liners, no fill...., no crack
greeny

Post by greeny »

T.F.S. wrote:its amazing how easy these block crack...my mate has a 700bhp LET, no liners, no fill...., no crack

He's doing well then, Specky cracked his in the 5-600's iirc.
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

greeny wrote:
T.F.S. wrote:its amazing how easy these block crack...my mate has a 700bhp LET, no liners, no fill...., no crack

http://www.vauxhall-sport-forum.com/php ... 16212.html
greeny

Post by greeny »

T.F.S. wrote:
greeny wrote:

http://www.vauxhall-sport-forum.com/php ... 16212.html

Yeah, running the xe block now though.
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

XE/LET is the same thing blockwise, the only difference on the block is an oil return on the front of the LET but even the blank is there...

there are differences in the webbing at the rear of the block but again this is the same for XE/LET
greeny

Post by greeny »

T.F.S. wrote:XE/LET is the same thing blockwise, the only difference on the block is an oil return on the front of the LET but even the blank is there...

there are differences in the webbing at the rear of the block but again this is the same for XE/LET

Ah right,

I thought one was open deck and one closed. Learn summuts new everyday.
greeny

Post by greeny »

Yas,

Why dont you just go 5s block and enjoy it?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

XEV is open deck IIRC

whats a 5s michael?
DiYMCRT

Post by DiYMCRT »

thoroughly gutted matey, i'm with the majority just get a new block it's alot of work but it's a second chance at fun :thumleft: if it's labour in the garage you're worried about it would be easier to just swap the entire bottom end for another gte presuming it's stock i'm sure you could find a member reasonably local to help you swap a bottom end for less £ than the garage

sean from hurleyracing sound chap, very helpful with me, he's got honed 86mm ge blocks and non honed ge blocks to my knowledge ge and gte blocks are the same i believe they're rev2 but i think he's got a few different rev's

check shed clearout in the parts for sale section :thumleft:
greeny

Post by greeny »

T.F.S. wrote:XEV is open deck IIRC

whats a 5s michael?

5sfe block out of a 2.2l camry found in the US.

Thats the block im running now after cracking the 3s block.

Seems to be holding fine at the minute.

Only problem is if Yas is running 86mm pistons the standard 5s bore is 87mm. So new pistons would be needed.

I was lucky in that i was running 87mm pistons in the 3s, so re-used everything with new rings and a slight hone in the 5s.
Sideways Si

Post by Sideways Si »

:( I really feel for you mate. reading this made me relive last August. It all came flooding back to me, I'd barely run in my new 3S block,
but it cracked a sleeved block. Just 1500 miles after mapping, the 450Bhp stress was too much.

I was adamant even after a week, That it was the straw the broke that camels back. It really didn't seem worth the time and Expense..

There seems to be solution, that so far proves to put an end to this misery,
slowly but surely get yourself a 5Sfe sorted. Yes it means starting again, But you won't have that doubt that it could all be for nothing.

But if your still sure, then well, yet another promising member, breaks up yet another great project.. It's really :(
Class Winner Brighton Speed Trials 2010
Class Winner Brighton Speed Trials 2011
Class Record Holder Since 2010

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”