[Mk2] [Turbo] no oil pressure HELP please !

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

george_m

[Mk2] [Turbo] no oil pressure HELP please !

Post by george_m »

Just finished a forged engine build, removed the spark plugs and disabled the injector relay and coil and have been cranking over the motor for 5 minutes now but no oil pressure! Oil light stays on and oil pressure gauge does not move I even removed the oil pipe to the oil t piece but that's dry

The engine has had a full rebuild with all the bearing clearances double checked with plastigauge. I checked the oil pump and it was well within Toyota's tolerences, I filled it with oil and refitted it. I also filled up the oil filter before fitting as well as the engine
I have never had a problem in the past with engine builds and always used the starter motor to crank over the engine to raise up the oil pressure before starting the engine, help please any one :pale:
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] no oil pressure HELP please !

Post by djpkins »

sump not sealed?
mark239

Post by mark239 »

head gasket on properly ?

Either that or you've a blocked pickup - too much RTV or the likes
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

could be the pick up to block not sealing so sucking in air, ive seen this on an engine. Also are you sure the HG is on the right way around as i think one end has an extra hole for one of the oilways.
george_m

Post by george_m »

cheers guys

Head gasket fitted correctly it has an arrow to help, did silicon seal the sump and did not go mad on the amount, all new seals and gaskets were used, however something I have done is surely wrong.
I will remove the oil filter tonight crank the motor and see if its getting that far as this would prove the strainer, oil pump and relief valve are ok. If not I will need to drop the sump
I have built many reliable motors in the past when I was a motor mechanic, but that was nearly 20 years ago so hopefully I have not forgotten too much.

Do these motors take long from a full rebuild to build up pressure just on the starter motor cranking the engine
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Remove the oil pressure sensor from the head and crank it over ... sometimes it can take ages for the oil to come through the system and get up to pressure.

Removing the pressure sensor can sometimes help this - don't panic yet, just give it another go today :D
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

also on the rev3, force feed the pump. Remove oil filter, then use pipe and funnel up the side of the car. Put the pipe in the centre hole, fill with oil, turn over until it comes out the outside holes of the filter housing, then it's primed. refit filter, job done.

unless of cause gaskets/oring have been missed.
george_m

oil pressure up !!!!

Post by george_m »

Many thanks guys oil pressure up after following Nathans and Pacific Works advice, too late to start the car now after reconnecting up everything, hopefully tomorrow

javascript:emoticon(':thumleft:')
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Glad you got it sorted - it's a bit worrying sometimes when you cant get the oil pressure to come up.

I remember when we installed a new engine into a formula ford (old x flow 1600) and we just could not get the oil to circulate and come up to pressure ... we tried for what seemed an eternity! The next day we came back to it, removed the oil pressure sensor and within 5 cranks it came through... the relief!
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com

Return to “Mechanical”