Can Cusco top mounts be refurbed?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bluesmoke

Can Cusco top mounts be refurbed?

Post by bluesmoke »

I believe that one of them needs a new bearing. Can it be done? Does anybody know if RS or anyone sells a suitable bearing?
ozzy1986

Re: Can Cusco top mounts be refurbed?

Post by ozzy1986 »

bluesmoke wrote:I believe that one of them needs a new bearing. Can it be done? Does anybody know if RS or anyone sells a suitable bearing?

I am in the same predicament. I was looking for new top mounts and discovered a place called Co-ordsport ltd. They said they would source these for me. I paid a deposit but haven't received them yet. It has been six months.

However, that isn't the point. The point is, I have no idea where else I can find these.
MarkP.

Post by MarkP. »

I would of thought so, I've had both Tein and buddy clubs in pieces and they both use the identical spherical bearing. I swapped mine over so I've not purchased any yet but i'am sure any good bearing supplier should have them.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

I've failed to find anything concrete so far. I've seen people saying they are a hard bearing to find. Not sure where to look now.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

2 seconds on google has found....

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=3_4545
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Split_Bear ... hes-1005-c
http://www.onlinebearings.co.uk/bearings-c-3.html

don't know if any of them are the right one, but that's 3 places you can call and ask.
happy hunting
Last edited by pbmr2 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

A hell of a lot more than two seconds for me found that the bearings are an odd size and most places people have tried don't do them.

Anyhow, I found out that RHD Japan do sell Cusco pillowball bearings. Unfortunately they are all different and there's no word on which one fits SW20 top mounts.

In addition, if I buy the top mounts from a friend and then add int he price of a bearing being bought and shipped from Japan, it starts to lose its economic viability I think :(
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

how do you kow they are an 'odd size'?
have you measured the bearings on the topmounts? it's the only way to know what new ones are going to fit.

if your trying to get them from just a bearing place, they won't have a clue about the application, just the bearing itself.

what are the dimentions, i'll see if i can find a local supplier.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

It's what I've read on some of the Scooby forums where people have been stuck in the same boat.
MarkP.

Post by MarkP. »

You weren't wrong,there well elusive :-k Size wise the Tein ones are a 18mm inside bore with a 33mm outer case.....which i can't find either other than ordering them from Tein. Good luck.
Don't know if this helps but the spare i have is manufactured by NMB bearings which seem quite popular just not in those sizes.
Edit: Found em. http://www.eminebea.com/content/html/en ... mbwt-v.pdf
NMB do have a site in the u.k but i don't think you can buy direct.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”