[Mk2] [Turbo] Knock Sensors?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

adam1989

[Mk2] [Turbo] Knock Sensors?

Post by adam1989 »

Hi guys,
i think my knock sensor has gone i keep getting error code 52, will a Rev2 N/A knock sensor fit a Rev2 Turbo?

I have used the search but couldnt find anything that was helpfull

Many thanks
Adam
Mike

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Knock Sensors?

Post by Mike »

I've blown another one today (4 in 6 years!) I've no idea if an NA sensor will do the job. Personally I'd like to know if there's a more robust alternative to the Toyota item. Why couldn't they make a sensor that puts the car into limp mode but doesn't bloody disintegrate in the process. They ain't cheap :mad:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Mike wrote:I've blown another one today (4 in 6 years!) I've no idea if an NA sensor will do the job. Personally I'd like to know if there's a more robust alternative to the Toyota item. Why couldn't they make a sensor that puts the car into limp mode but doesn't bloody disintegrate in the process. They ain't cheap :mad:

you must have a big problem somewhere in your setup then to keep blowing them.

You can get a more "robust" one called a GM Knock Sensor but its suposed to listen to different frequencies so might not look after the engine as good

at least a knock sensor is cheaper than a rebuild :thumleft:

Are you Torquing it upto the right torque setting when you fit it?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:
Mike wrote:I've blown another one today (4 in 6 years!) I've no idea if an NA sensor will do the job. Personally I'd like to know if there's a more robust alternative to the Toyota item. Why couldn't they make a sensor that puts the car into limp mode but doesn't bloody disintegrate in the process. They ain't cheap :mad:

you must have a big problem somewhere in your setup then to keep blowing them.

You can get a more "robust" one called a GM Knock Sensor but its suposed to listen to different frequencies so might not look after the engine as good

at least a knock sensor is cheaper than a rebuild :thumleft:

Are you Torquing it upto the right torque setting when you fit it?

I think its to do with boost spikes and the injectors not being able to compensate. The first occurence happened at roughly this time of year so it was cold, I had a Starlet Turbo tailgateing me so I floored it and left him but in the process blew the KS.
The second time was when I fitted my Greddy SMIC, took it onto the bypass, puff of smoke out of the exhaust and the engine management light came on. Read the error code and this time it was fuel cut but the KS went at the same time.
The third occasion was when the car was down at 3S about a year ago to have the head refurbed, the induction kit wasn't replaced properly so it was sucking in lots of unmetered air on the test drive, again the KS went. This time James at 3S put a used item on so I'm sure it would have been torqued correctly.
This time, went for a Christmas day drive, was very conservative with the throttle due to the slippery roads, short shifting and building the revs progressively when the engine management light came on at about 4000rpm in 4th gear.

The trouble is, it has all the hardware in place to run 16/17psi but boost is controlled only by the actuator which is set at 12psi but undoubtedly spikes a fair bit higher.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

well I sometimes creep to 1.37bar area (20psi) and Im still on the stock rev2 injectors and havent blown a knock sensor yet, usually boost to 1.1bar before shifting to try and stop going too high (wastegate too small for my setup) but its hard to do that when watching the road at the same time

Return to “Mechanical”