Wind/rain causing car issues

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GaryJ

Wind/rain causing car issues

Post by GaryJ »

Hi all, bought a rev 1 mr2 about 4 weeks ago and been fine till today :(

When taking my sister to an appointment i was overaking a lorry overtaking another on the motorway, there was water spray due to rain and it was windy.

Shorty after overtaking the lorry the car starts to judder and then slowly loses power to the point that it stalls.

After a couple of restarting attempts on the hard shoulder the car starts fine, happens again shortly afterwards just before a roundabout. Police see me and another car that broke down in near the exact same place, they help and the car tries to start, it backfires on one attempt, then afew minutes later starts fine.

Now on the way home as soon as wind/rain gets to the car via speed or going over a bridge it starts the same thing again, loss of power till it stalls waiting a while and the car starts fine.

The engine temp is fine, no dash warning lights, car idles fine and revs throughout the rev range when stationary and fine when the car starts losing power when the probelm starts.

The car has an aftermarket air filter on it i think it might be whats causing the issue together with as soon as too much air/moisture gets into the engine bay its causes the problems mentioned above.

Any ideas on what causing this, sorry if its abit long winded.

edit:the weathers been rainy/misty all day so far just to clarify. oh the joys of living in south wales :P
jasongtr

Re: Wind/rain causing car issues

Post by jasongtr »

ignition parts getting wet?
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Could this be down to faulty ignition leads or coil pack??
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Take the coil off and check for cracks, I am sure it will have some and the water gets in and kills the engine.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
GaryJ

Post by GaryJ »

The coilpack is the circled area right? The policeman did say if i get any issues make sure the main wire the sticks out the side is properly seated.

Thanks all will check this over tomorrow
Torero

Post by Torero »

If it happens again Gary, undo the jubilee clip, remove the filter cone and then start her up. If the filter was choked of air because it was wet then this should prove it and it'll start [near enough] straight away. If it takes a few goes then it's likely to be the ignition.

My money is on the ignition, particularly the coil, else you'd be getting misfiring if it was dizzy, plugs or plug leads. No harm in giving the system a full overhaul for the winter, what you spend on parts will be saved in fuel.

BTW - You must have been on the M4 near Swansea for this to happen :D
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

GaryJ wrote:The coilpack is the circled area right?

Wrong ,thats the coil lead on the distributor

coil pack is on the rear bulkhead ,just follow the lead you have circled
GaryJ

Post by GaryJ »

Just an update, I managed to check today now the weather's clear and the coil pack area and its all gunked with oil/water so I've cleaned all that off.

The main lead the runs from the dizzy cap to the coilpack was kinda lose and wet and from the view doesn't look good. (First picture)

The main coilpack housing box has been fixed together with some electrial/insulation tape and just pressing lightly on it the casing feel loose. Also there's wire plugs that don't have any protective covering on them. #-o

Pics added:

I've got work today so unable to take this all out and check it. :(
The car runs fine so as long as the water stops getting in all should be fine or shall I replace some parts to stop it from happening again :-k
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

The bit shown with the tape on is just a plastic cover ,you need to strip it out and check the actual coil pack ,doesnt look very good though as it is
south_wales_MR2

Post by south_wales_MR2 »

I have recently experienced the same problem on my rev4 n/a (AND I WAS ON THE M4 J47 AT SWANSEA WHERE I LIVE!!)

Felt like I was running out of fuel, juddering but when let to idle it was fine, just when load was put on the engine i.e. going uphill it felt underpowered.

Ive put it down to the coil pack being old and getting wet from upspray from the road. Drives fine until you either foot it, or seriously xxxx weather. Took the 1st HT lead off the dizzy cap (no.1) and that didnt look to kosher either. I think waters dripping down from my engine lid into the lead clip ends and getting into the cap.

I used Duck oil to get home and it cleared slightly. I ordered a new coil pack through work and when it arrived it was the 7mm one :pale:

But ive now ordered new HT leads and the 5mm coil from ebay (came to £75 for both :thumleft: ) So hopefully when I remove all the ignition components next week - Dry, clean and refit with new coil and leads it should cure it.

We sell a product in work called "Sealed with a TSSS" thats a clear ignition sealer spray that covers the parts with a clear film of protective sealer to stop anymore getting in the system. After spraying this on the HT clips on the Dizzy im going to get ye olde insulation tape and give the ends a damn good covering.

Im also going to design and fit a cover for my coil and igniter as there is sweet FA there to protect it from water running down the bulkhead that its attached to.

Will let you know how i get on!
JDM-MAT

Post by JDM-MAT »

when i jet wash my rev1 n/a i give my engine and engine bay a go over to. iv never had any problems car is normal :-k
RST

Post by RST »

I would never recommend putting a jet wash in an engine bay (old diesel maybe but not a petrol engine). I had too many mates putting lances round engine bays then pushed them out. We did tell him not to do it on my mates last 944 but it was properly fooked after that.
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

GaryJ wrote:Hi all, bought a rev 1 mr2 about 4 weeks ago and been fine till today :(

When taking my sister to an appointment i was overaking a lorry overtaking another on the motorway, there was water spray due to rain and it was windy.

Shorty after overtaking the lorry the car starts to judder and then slowly loses power to the point that it stalls.

After a couple of restarting attempts on the hard shoulder the car starts fine, happens again shortly afterwards just before a roundabout. Police see me and another car that broke down in near the exact same place, they help and the car tries to start, it backfires on one attempt, then afew minutes later starts fine.

Now on the way home as soon as wind/rain gets to the car via speed or going over a bridge it starts the same thing again, loss of power till it stalls waiting a while and the car starts fine.

The engine temp is fine, no dash warning lights, car idles fine and revs throughout the rev range when stationary and fine when the car starts losing power when the probelm starts.

The car has an aftermarket air filter on it i think it might be whats causing the issue together with as soon as too much air/moisture gets into the engine bay its causes the problems mentioned above.

Any ideas on what causing this, sorry if its abit long winded.

edit:the weathers been rainy/misty all day so far just to clarify. oh the joys of living in south wales :P

same thin happened to me and i didnt want to take any more chances, i replaced the dizzy cap and rotor arm, ignition leads and coil pack and it touch wood has never happened to me agen :thumleft:
JDM-MAT

Post by JDM-MAT »

RST wrote:I would never recommend putting a jet wash in an engine bay (old diesel maybe but not a petrol engine). I had too many mates putting lances round engine bays then pushed them out. We did tell him not to do it on my mates last 944 but it was properly fooked after that.
I would never do it to my supra or skyline.
Zeppozen

Post by Zeppozen »

I've got same problem. ( Rain / damp it just dies under loadin high gear )

leads were arcing but could be coil.

Did you get it resolved ? Where did you get the HT Leads and coil at good price ?

I've put a clear plastic sheet over the bonnet grill to stop the heavy rain going directly onto the dizzy and coil. but air still flows underneath.

Im baffled why Toyota put a ruddy big hole in the bonnet cover directly over the Dizzy cap and put the coil low down behind the rear wheel !!!!
Defeats the advantage of having a rear engine car to avoid the head on into engine spray !!

How can I test a coil for arcing ?
GaryJ

Post by GaryJ »

Hi all, sorry about the lack of updates but been busy/weather's been bad/cold and awaiting parts.

Mail's getting slow here already...

I managed to source a second hand coil/ ignitor and bracket off this fourm but the coil casing had hairline cracks in them where it screws onto the bracket, must be a weak point in the plastic as when i removed mine the plastic was flexed and pressured like it was about to break also.

I removed my coil pack and someone had put sealant or something in it and it was all dry and nasty and there was dirt/oil/water even inside the bit where the king lead plugs into the coil.

My ignition wiring also is in poor shape, all the metal parts inside the plugs have either rusted, borken or missing so i'm awaiting some new ignition leads.

While doing this i've caused more problems...the radio's locked now after disconnecting the battery and also the engine temp gauge on the dash stopped working so i started a new thread in the electrical section about that.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”