Ebay Mk1 drawing

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Ebay Mk1 drawing

Post by PW@Woodsport »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/I-Draw-your-own-t ... 500wt_1156

£15.... is he having a giraffe or what? I don't like to put peoples efforts down but i think my 12 year old son can draw a Mk1 better than that.

Would i pay £15 to have a portrait done of my car? Yes, but i'd expect round wheels :D

Sorry it just made me smile.
jon_st205

Re: Ebay Mk1 drawing

Post by jon_st205 »

You're a nasty man, Paul :lol:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

I agree Paul

This came up on the mk1 club website a few weeks ago and the OP thought it was great and had bought one and commissioned another :shock:

My thoughts were

WTF is that :lol: crock of #### :lol:

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

PW@Woodsport wrote:.

Would i pay £15 to have a portrait done of my car? Yes, but i'd expect round wheels :D

Maybe he went for the Sorn'ed look, you know flat tyre's etc :lol:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The more i look at it the more i think i could actually do better myself!

Maybe we are missing the angle, it's one of those cartoon car charicature drawings isn't it :D
ulysess1966

Cheap

Post by ulysess1966 »

My brother is a professional illustrator so I know what good artwork costs and it runs into hundreds of pounds, so this is probably about right for £15.

Don't get me wrong, it's still rubbish.

Maybe we should have a drawing competition between ourselves :)
MartG

Post by MartG »

I have something that can create much better car pictures than that for much less money - it's called a 'c a m e r a' :clown:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

I would be interested to see pictures of the ones that were ordered, to see if they are as hideous.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

£15.... is he having a giraffe or what? I don't like to put peoples efforts down but i think my 12 year old son can draw a Mk1 better than that.

So get your 12yr old to draw a few and sell them for £20 :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I could even go on Dragons Den!

<duncan> I'm out! =;
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

£15 won't get you much at all art wise, now a Chip Foose original I could find wall space for
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

As this was a present from my 15yr old son, Jack (the OP on the MK1 forum) I was very pleased that he made the effort to commission this for me personally of my own car.

This has been hand drawn, and obviously, had a lot of time and effort spent on it.

I don't claim it to be a work of art, but what do you want for £15, how much does £15 buy of anyone's time now? Paul?

Like I said, not the best picture in the world for sure, but I certainly wouldn't have spent the time and effort for £15! And as a show of care from Jack, I was touched.

It was an inspiration to Jack, and he has now enrolled on a Graphic design course at college and has already done some very interesting work on MR2's and a 4AGE engine.

I encouraged him to post some pictures on the forums, maybe this is not the right place to showcase them? ;)

It's easy to flame people for their effort, and I suppose I have been guilty of this in the past, just as much anyone else ;)

But maybe sometimes we should not be too harsh to judge, one man's meat etc....

Anyway, I just thought I would throw in my 2'pen'th. This was the original image that he drew from:

Regards

Matt :)
ulysess1966

Drawing

Post by ulysess1966 »

My brother did this a few years ago for some t-shirts we knocked out.

MR2_sample by Glenn Walsh, on Flickr (c) Bill Walsh, 2005
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Matt i'm sorry but i'm entitled to my opinion same as everyone else. If Jack had drawn you a picture then great, and for £15 you certainly don't get anyones time, and having drawn a lot (pencil mainly) i totally understand how much effort it takes....

However, starting to sell works on Ebay is openly putting yourself in the public gaze, and with that comes criticism. My personal opinion of the art, not you or jack or anyone else is that the art itself is not worth £15.

I did not know it was drawn by your 15 year old son or that you were forum members, but it still doesn't mean we can't voice opinion about a product someone is selling.

I wish him every success at college, as i said i don't like to knock anyones efforts but if he's going to charge for his work he's got to take criticism.
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

Hello Paul :)

Jack did not draw this picture, he commissioned it from the guy on ebay for £15, it was a gift to me from Jack, he used his own money to get it ;)

I agree you are entitled to your opinion.

As I said I don't particularly think it is a great work of art, but there is something special about Jack thinking enough of me to spend his cash to get it for me. I suppose, behind most artwork there is a back-story we are not always aware of ;)

I am not on some moral crusade here, and I realise that putting your work on display invites comments, both good and bad.

Jack tells me that they guy who drew this has a MK2, and for all I know he may be on this forum. He was very helpful to Jack and spent a lot of time communicating backwards and forwards about this drawing.

I guess the bottom line is, I like it, it means to me than just the picture, and that's my opinion. Maybe if I had just seen the listing I would not have paid £15 for it, but I am very glad Jack did ;)

Here is a picture that Jack has done of a 4-AGE, I am very proud of his efforts :)

Regards

Matt :)
Last edited by boyzdad on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Sorry i was under the impression from your first post that Jack drew it, very commendable of him to spend his hard earned on you, i can see the sentimental value in that and why you like it.

However that still doesn't change the fact i think the artwork itself is terrible.

Can't see Jacks 4a-ge effort?

EDIT: I can now.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”