Ready for some abuse

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimos

Ready for some abuse

Post by Jimos »

She's not finished yet but just thought i'd give you guys a quick glimpse of what i've been doing to my mk1 over the last few weeks.

ImageImage

In my defence the original white paint was not original, the bumper and bonnet had been replaced (badly) and painted as had the passenger front wing. There was overspray on nearly every bit of external and internal trim and generally she was in a sorry state thanks to one of the previous owners.

Couple this with it being written off in june thanks to someone driving into the back of it when the wife was driving meaning it has even less value than it did before , i thought 'what the hell' .

Let the abuse begin !! :)

Jimos
Moustachio

Re: Ready for some abuse

Post by Moustachio »

ha ha (re abuse), nice one, looks ready to race now...
Bring back Psygnosis
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

No abuse from me (or is that abuse to be given by you?LOL), that looks like a nice job - did you do it by hand?
Jimos

Post by Jimos »

Yeah it's a driveway rattle can job so up close you can see variations in the black but hopefully when i'm finished this will be minimised. Its Satin black with 'Electric Orange' on the stripes and grill.
Neil Turbo

Post by Neil Turbo »

I think more pics are required before the real abuse can begin :twisted: lol

Personally I would have done it all black. Are you going to be spraying the wheels? Might set it off a bit better if they were orange as well.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Black and orange? That'll never work! :whistle:
Jimos

Post by Jimos »

Yeah thinking about the wheels , but was was thinking black with an orange pinstripe on the lip, maybe. Have not made my mind up on that yet.

kaiowas, was really impresed when i saw yours, its nice work.

Will get some more pictures up, I have some nice ones of a hole that was filled with newspaper, I discovered it whilst working on the arches.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

kaiowas wrote:Black and orange? That'll never work! :whistle:

madness :lol:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Looks good. :thumleft: Cassi (my other half) did her Mk1 in satin black. :thumleft:

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

I am desperate to keep/restore mine to show condition in it's original colour but if, and I mean if, I had the same problems with colout mismatch and panel repairs, then I think I would consider doing something as mad as this.

I would have a different choice of colours but that is exactly the point.

Makes it interesting. :thumleft:
dylbie

Post by dylbie »

I think I'm gonna do mine in matt/satin black! My white paintwork is bubbling so I think it's had a bit of a (bad) respray at some point.

Jimos, what prepwork did you do before you sprayed? I've never painted up a car before so I have no clue about what to get, and what procedures to take.

It's gonna have to be finished off with red 'nightrider style' LEDs on the nose! :D
Jimos

Post by Jimos »

dylbie wrote:I think I'm gonna do mine in matt/satin black! My white paintwork is bubbling so I think it's had a bit of a (bad) respray at some point.

Jimos, what prepwork did you do before you sprayed? I've never painted up a car before so I have no clue about what to get, and what procedures to take.

It's gonna have to be finished off with red 'nightrider style' LEDs on the nose! :D

1. Started off by sanding down the arches and any where else with surface rust. Treated the rust and the filled and resanded the arches, not brilliantly i have to admit but better than them just falling off.

2. Sanded the entire body in preperation for priming, basically to remove all traces of dirt and grime as well as any remaining laquer. If you don't complete this stage thoroughly the paint will simply peel off the laquer when it gets wet/frosted etc.

3. Removed trims and masked the vehicle.

4. Primed the car using approximatley 10 500ml cans of grey primer.

5. Layed down 3-4 fine coats of satin black using 16 Cans of 500ml Simoniz Satin Matt Black.

6. Masked and painted stripes and grill using halfords 'Ford electric orange'

It's very much still a work in progress and I have no particular skills or abilities at this kind of thing. If you take your time there is no reason you can't achieve a finish your happy with. I accepted it wouldn't be perfect from the start and i'm really pleased with it so far. As I have said before not a show quality finish (as you can all see) but still an improvement on the state it was.

In total I think i have spent around £90 on paint plus another £30 on bits and pieces (masking tape, masking paper, spirits for sticker removal, wet and dry paper etc)

dylbie - More than happy to answer any questions I can, I'm no expert but may be able to save you some time/mistakes.

Jim
aw11rally

wheels

Post by aw11rally »

Looks like a proper track car but I am not sure about the wheels, the offset looks wrong, maybe some spacers required.
ROB-E

Post by ROB-E »

What is it?

Is it a harley?
Is it a davidson?

No a AW11 H-D fourwheeler.
Grind off the front-end and weld a Harley-davidson front-end on it.
You wil have a trike :mrgreen:
And i call that a swampboat :oldtongue:

Can you find the original MK1 striping in England?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but be prepared for the paint to crack on the bumpers/front lip as soon as you turn your back on it. The plastic these are made from is just too flexible for standard paint without a flexible additive in it and it'll crack before you know it.
ulysess1966

KITT

Post by ulysess1966 »

Does it talk to you?

"David, I think I'll engage stealth mode."

No abuse from me, I love it. I did the same thing to a VW Golf about 20 years ago using a trade tin of blackboard paint and a borrowed compressor, but that was matt and I mean matt, it looked pure evil. I've always wanted to do the same with an MR2 for that B2 Spirit look.

Respect.

(PS Use Plasticote on the bumpers and bendy bits.)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

kaiowas wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but be prepared for the paint to crack on the bumpers/front lip as soon as you turn your back on it. The plastic these are made from is just too flexible for standard paint without a flexible additive in it and it'll crack before you know it.

Cassi's paint never cracked on the bumpers or lip. :-k Must have been the right kind of paint (Hicote I think).
Jimos

Post by Jimos »

ref the paint cracking, balls i didnt think of that. Thanks for letting me know guys, i will keep an eye on it and see how it goes

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”