[Mk2] [Turbo] delimiter/mph converter

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

silentstu

[Mk2] [Turbo] delimiter/mph converter

Post by silentstu »

Hi all

Found this in my door card is it a delimiter/mph converter?

If so anyone else have one like that does it work ok ?

and anyone have a diagram for fitting

thanx in advance

Stuart :)
asdrewq

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] delimiter/mph converter

Post by asdrewq »

I have that exact one, but removed it when I fitted a UK speedo. I have been wondering if it can be used JUST as a delimiter in conjunction with UK speedo by wiring in after the speedo rather than before.

I have managed to determine the wires are as follows:

yellow: km/h speed input from gearbox
Blue - mph speed output to speedo
red - +12v
green - GND
grey - 'ECU out' - not needed for mr2 import clocks as by converting km/h to mph you in effect set the limiter to 180mph. Possibly used for standalone delimiting?

To install:

Remove instrument binnacle

When viewed from behind, locate the 4 screws to the speedo.
Wire the blue wire to top Left, red to bottom left and green to bottom right screws using the installed ring bits.

Cut the speedo input signal wire and wire the yellow lead to it. Trace back from the speedo topleft screw to the wiring loom to locate correct wire. I *think* it is the purple/silver dotted one.

:thumleft:
silentstu

Post by silentstu »

Thank for the reply mate so is it both a delimiter and converter then?
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

I think so as it has an ECU output, but in the MR2 application yes it is. By converting the signal from kph to mph it increases the limit from 180kph to 180mph, as the ECU gets the feed it uses to limit the speed from the clocks (from the top right screw on speedo)
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I had one, converted it to MPH and Delimits but it was crap.

When I flashed / turned my lights on the MPH dial would move eg to 60mph then back to 0 and it would add miles to the clock (Once it added 9 miles to the clock just from flashing the lights in the drive)!!! Infact quite a few things would make it go funny.

Sometimes you would be driving and the speedo would just jump to another speed and then back

I removed it and got one of the Clamping circuit board delimiters / converters and it sorted everything out :)
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

It's not truly a delimiter. It's just a converter. On the MKII, the 12V speed pulses go from the gearbox sensor to the speedo, where they are converted to 5V and sent on to the ECU, where the speed limiting takes place.

If you convert the KMPH pulses to MPH pulses, then the limit is moved to 180mph, kinda delimiting, but all other speed sensitive items like the PAS are also converted, and your PAS will stay on until 80mph instead of going off at 50 (80 kmph). You are better off with either a separate delimiter and converter or a combined unit that separates the signals that go the the speedo and the ECU (like the one I designed ;) ).
Mike N

speedos and stuff

Post by Mike N »

Stef,

I am fitting a standalone electronic speedo, but still want the PAS to continue working.

The car is a Rev 1 tubby cable driven into a double drive which converts mech drive into an electronic pulse for the VDO Speedo.

Any thoughts or help on the oe wiring to keep the PAS as it should be would be apreciated.

Please excuse me mentioning the problem on this post, but I think both of the answers may be linked.

Thanks
Mike.
bigal

Post by bigal »

:whistle:

Return to “Electrical”