[Mk2] [Turbo] Transmission Oil question?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimbo1989

[Mk2] [Turbo] Transmission Oil question?

Post by jimbo1989 »

Right, in error (dont ask) I removed the filler plug for the transmission oil but as the car was jacked up it drained an amount of oil.... reading up the car (rev 1 turbo) takes 4.2 ltr's and there is no way this amount came out - im guessing about 1ltr ish.......

My question is, is there any way of knowing how much transmission oil is left in there, when full would it come out of the filler hole if you were filling it back up or do I need to completely frain the system and refill?

Also, am I correct in thinking that 4.2ltr's is correct?

I hope someone can help as im kicking myself for doing something so stupid and dont really want to have to pay £40 on oil I didnt need, ideally i want to just top it up if this is possible
Freebird

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Transmission Oil question?

Post by Freebird »

You can just top it up, with the car on flat ground, till the oil comes out the fill/level hole. But if I were you I would take the opportunity to replace all the oil with some nice new fresh stuff like Redline MT90, it makes a world of difference if there is old crap oil in there now. Really depends on the condition of the oil that is in the box.

Hope that helps :thumleft:
ej2_sir

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Transmission Oil question?

Post by ej2_sir »

4.2 litres for a non LSD box and 3.8 Litres for a LSD Box.
I know everyone raves about MT90 but if you only have a litre in there Id just get down a local motor factors and spend about 20 quid on 4 litres of comma 75w90 and be done with.

Return to “Mechanical”