300 bhp ?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

f355mr2

300 bhp ?

Post by f355mr2 »

hey guys am a new rev 3 turbo owner i have the car copletley standard absolutly everthin stock the only thing done to it is the recirc valve has been made atmospheric.

it is a 94 gts and its not even been delimited its only had the mph clocks put in thats it.

so could i get 300 bhp with the ecu piggyback chip profesionaly done by dyno demon the subaru tuner it will cost about 600 he said. a full ss decat japspeed/motoria style exhaust decatted and japspeed intercooler and maybe maybe a banned user custom air filter which is proven 7 bhp and 11ibs torque.

sorry guys i had to edit this cos the guy i mentioned is banned. my mistake it was the custom airfilter maybe u know who i mean
wadeski

Re: 300 bhp ?

Post by wadeski »

Air filter doesnt really do anything - the stock setup is excellent.

"He who must not be named" does a very very good (decat) downpipe - probably the best you can easily buy.

Exhaust is easy, just check the sale section here for the style / noise you want there are lots available.

I recommend going with a GT4 chargecooler setup rather than an intercooler.

You dont need mapping, and piggybacks suck on the MR2. Just get a boost controller like a Gizzmo IBC or Greddy Profec-II and set it to 17psi / 1.2bar.
f355mr2

Post by f355mr2 »

hey wadeski yeah im defo gonna keep the intercooler setup as am only after around 300 bhp mark and i wanna know why gettin it remapped wouldnt do ought cos the guy said ill get bouit 25 to 40 bhp more dependin on what mods i.e exhaust intercooler and stuff.

he was quite adament not to touch the turbo with an boost controller, said he did an mr2 while back and the mr2 didnt last more than six milea before engine went on a 1.1 bar
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Remapping wouldn't work simply as the standard ECU isn't (yet) remappable. Piggy backs? In my opinion, no, utter garbage. If you want to alter the mapping, get a proper stand alone such as a PFC etc.

As for not using a boost controller on a standard turbo? Whoever told you the car only lasted 6 miles must have done a pretty bad job of installing/setting up the boost controller. Set properly they're fine, to a point.

You have to realise that increasing an engines power is ALWAYS going to affect reliability to some extent, at some point. It might last 50,000 miles without a hitch, it might not. It's the risk you take.

As for hitting 300 bhp on a side mount, it's very possible, several members have done so. It's also car/engine dependant. Some stock cars will make strong power, some wont so based on that some will only need a small boost increase and some breathing mods and some will fall short with the above mods.
f355mr2

Post by f355mr2 »

ok so what i get with ajapseed exhaust banned member decat down pipe and japspeed intercooler
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

basically, mapping is great but you need a standalone ECU. So budget £600-1000 for a Power FC or a Link, plus £200 for mapping.

If he is just mapping a piggyback for a few quid, he is broadly talking out of his bumhole.

Piggybacks are OK at adding fuel, but the stock ECU runs massively rich and needs leaning out. Piggybacks dont do this safely.

Run a boost controller (electronic, not a valve) at 1.2 and the stock maps won't miss a beat.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Slarty wrote:Some stock cars will make strong power, some wont so based on that some will only need a small boost increase and some breathing mods and some will fall short with the above mods.

f355mr2 wrote:ok so what i get with ajapseed exhaust banned member decat down pipe and japspeed intercooler

It's utterly impossible to say. Do you know how much power your car is making as standard? It might be a good strong engine and make 250bhp. It might be running like a dogs dinner and only be making 200bhp.

Until you achieve a base line figure, any add ons will be completely unknown.
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

lol at that comment regarding the boost controller, ive ran my standard turbo at 1.2 bar for 2 years nearly and about 30k miles.

as far as im aware you can make 300bhp give or take with those mods but it depends on the quality of the parts you use and the strength of the engine. i wouldnt bother mapping it until you have:

intercooler
air filter
good exhaust
good downpipe
colder grade spark plugs
intercooler or charge cooler
boost controller weather it be manual or electronic

and do a full service if you have only just got the car, dizzy cap rotor arm fuel filter oil filter oils coolant etc. if your upgrading and stressing the engine you need to know its being looked after.

i think with that your looking at from 280 to a max of 320 mapping isnt really neccesary before doing this
antnkel

Post by antnkel »

f355mr2 wrote:
he was quite adament not to touch the turbo with an boost controller, said he did an mr2 while back and the mr2 didnt last more than six milea before engine went on a 1.1 bar

I would not good to this guy as he obviously doesn't know 2's.
1.1bar on a good engine would be fine and a gt4 chargecooler would be a better setup than the smic. O:)

To tell you how good the piggybacks are I sold one a while back and got pennies for it, on one wanted it :-k
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

I may have a genuine japspeed full stainless system coming up for sale soon, however its not going to be give away price as its only 6 months old and covered 4k miles.

Loverly system, sounds the beans and sets up every car alarm at the blip of the throttle, however circumstances have changed and i need a more mellow system :P

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”