[Mk2] [Turbo] Greddy SMIC BHP

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Madmattyturner

[Mk2] [Turbo] Greddy SMIC BHP

Post by Madmattyturner »

Just wondering if anyone has any accurate info on what BHP the Greddy SMIC can support. I have a Spal fan to be attached aswell

No need for questions asking what im running, just what would it max out at? Cheers[/quote]
Chris

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Greddy SMIC BHP

Post by Chris »

not sure about bhp, but I know SimonW was runnig 11.1sec 1/4s with one of these fitted a few year ago. No good for prolonged abuse like track days though, charge temps would go through the roof at high boost!!
Madmattyturner

Post by Madmattyturner »

cheers chris, have the GT3076 being poped in as we speak, all the bangs and whistles, hydra nemises ecu, forged build, so hoping the greddy will let me go to the limits of the turbo
adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

Here's some flow rates if they help:

Stock Intercooler: 172 CFM
ST 185 RC air to water Intercooler: 230 CFM
Greddy: 253 CFM
Spearco: 320 CFM
Garage Fukui/A'PEXi/Phoenix Power IC: 387 CFM
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

If your taking things that far don't half ar$e the cooling. Sell the side mount and invest in a charge cooler unless your happy to cut your car up and lose your boot, in which case a boot mount I/C works well.

Trust me address this side of things now, ditch the side mount ic and save money buy having your car tuned once.

Trust me, I've been there and done it, bought the T Shirt and most of the cooling options over the yrs lol

Mikejc
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

As said for prolonged use like a track, I dout you'll be doing yourself any favours.

However am sure it'll be fine for your b road blast and drag strip.

I got the apexi/pp core, and going by those stats above it's the best sidemount, i don't have any issues with heatsoak unless parked up.

I don't plan of track days due to my crazy 48mm screamer pipe. So road and drag a sidemount is good enough for me.
I mean, what can go wrong with a sidemount ay, apart from the obvious popped hose.

Am sure that Simon guy was running water/meth injection as well with his greddy ic no??

I'm running a bit of water injection when I need it. To be honest, it only when temps get over +20 over ambiant do I use the WI and can notice a slight difference. But 95% of the time my intake temps are only 10-15c over ambiant. So I don't use the WI.
I'm running 1.4bar and 400hp without issues.

There's a guy on another forum running a 3076, and making 440hp I think on his greddy sidemount.

Bu guess to answer your original question, am sure the greddy ic has seen 500-650hp on a US dyno.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

All I can do is offer my personal experience.... I have run with both, the charge cooler is the best option for consistant power.

Mikejc
Madmattyturner

Post by Madmattyturner »

reasonable argument there, and of course i did consider the charge cooler.. but its another expense and its gotta stop somewhere.

Im adamant that car tuning is a disease like gambling lol.. very addictive and i do have a problem. haha

So what power do you guys reckon ill achieve, i mean everthing has been done, oversize valves, cams, pulleys, rods, pistons, exhaust, spec r boost controller, exhaust, k&N filer, GT3076 Street Brawler kit, Hydra ECU, BOV, Greddy SMIC, Standard manifold machined out to single port, not much else i can think of bu no doubt theres much more

ALso how much do yo reckon my direct port nitrous injection system will give, running 125bhp shots :thumleft:

Should all be done in about 2-3 weeks, just wondering what you guys think
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Approx 400 at the hubs.... As soon as that side mount heats up 370 ish lol

don't say I didn't warn you!

Mikejc
Madmattyturner

Post by Madmattyturner »

and if i fitted a charge cooler?
greeny

Post by greeny »

Madmattyturner wrote:
ALso how much do yo reckon my direct port nitrous injection system will give, running 125bhp shots :thumleft:

Alot!

125hp shot should net you somewhere around an extra 200hp if the setup can flow it.

Just run the nitrous all the time, and then no need for any intercooler :clown:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Madmattyturner wrote:and if i fitted a charge cooler?

The c/c will not net you massive bhp gains over the i/c side mount. What it will do is ensure you have your power more of the time. Myself and a lot of the old school original big power guys have all been there... and we all went the route of the charge cooler after having owned various side mounts.

You will of course net bigger gains with the cheating gas... It will of course also run cooler whilst using it.

Personally I have no time for nitros... I like to make power the good old fashioned way. Just something about the fact that if you strap enough laughing gas on a skoda it will compete with exotica cars.

If it were me I'd ditch the gas for now and invest your money in the cooling first...... ABC's.

Some will dissagree, they are welcome to. If they have run all forms of intercooling them I'm willing to listen. If not then it's a case of sticking by what you bought lol

Mikejc
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

i would say it depends what charge cooler you run as i believe the gt4 one starts getting restrictive around the 350 mark,i had a spearco side mount & have seen a side mount push 500hp(in hyper rev mag) but it wouldnt do it for long i would imagine i run a boot mount now :thumleft:

a couple of threads for you :thumleft:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Chris

Post by Chris »

I went through the lot. Spearco sidemount in stock location, Spearco sidemount re located to the n/s above gearbox. Then a huge Spearco chargecooler mounted above gearbox, Then a fooking huge bootmount. If you want to save in the long run, go bootmount now.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I think to be honest, for a no compromise performance choice, (power wise not handling) the boot is the way forward.

But for me an all round performer is the C/C. It will perform on street, drag and circuit well. Doesn't add more weight to the worst possible area of our car, ie the rear. And you don't lose the boot, so weekend away jollies are not stumped by a lack of storage space.

All depends on what your needs are of course ;)

Mikejc
Madmattyturner

Post by Madmattyturner »

Thanks for the info guys, it is really appreciated, and i also like the way all the guys have been able to take part in a discussion, not an argument, which happens far too often on this forum in my opinion.

Boot mount Questions? What would be the cost for parts, and how many hours labour would this take? i am after approx because of course im not expecting exact answers, thanks
Chris

Post by Chris »

The cost is little really. Ebay Skyline GTR cooler, £169. Bloke to make some pipework, I used alloy pipes. £150-£200. Scoop under car. Cheap sheet of alloy. £50? Bit of Silicone pipework. Bends being expensive, £80-£100.

Labour depends on who you use.

As MIke said, A chargecooler is a good all rounder. I only changed due to power outputs. But in the future you will want more power :lol:
Madmattyturner

Post by Madmattyturner »

but i suppose ill need to do a side exit exhaust aswell then, as mine is a hks hiper with the silencer removed, would defeat the purpose of the intercooler in the boot with a great big hot exhaust underneath it!

im definatly thinking about it. would the inlet manifold need changed? as i already have my direct port nitrous tapped into that. :thumleft:
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Madmattyturner wrote:but i suppose ill need to do a side exit exhaust aswell then, as mine is a hks hiper with the silencer removed, would defeat the purpose of the intercooler in the boot with a great big hot exhaust underneath it!

im definatly thinking about it. would the inlet manifold need changed? as i already have my direct port nitrous tapped into that. :thumleft:

The standard Inlet manifold will be ok, it will just require a little more pipe work doubling back 180 on itself essentially.

What are your ultimate power goals and what do you see yourself using the car for mostly?

Mikejc
Madmattyturner

Post by Madmattyturner »

would love 500bhp as a raw power figure, i wont be doing track days, but would like to take it drag racing for a laugh.

Its really a weekend car for me as i have another car for daily driving :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”