Fuel Gauge - wtf?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Neptune

Fuel Gauge - wtf?

Post by Neptune »

Hi all, i have a slight issue that I've been trying to fix for a while now, but don't seem to be getting anywhere so here i am

Basicly the fuel gauge on my car only ever goes halfway up when the tanks full, however after the tank begins to empty below half way the fuel gauge works correctly as it should, going from the half way mark to the empty. Low fuel light also works..

I have now changed both the sender unit and the gauge from a cars that have been fully working and it still goes to the exact same position.. I'm now stumped as I don't know what else to try...

What else could it be? How do i get it working as it should?

Cheers
dingleburg

Re: Fuel Gauge - wtf?

Post by dingleburg »

after looking at the fuel float/sender i have i dont see any reason how it could mechanically misbehave in that way, unless perhaps the plastic float has a hole in and is full of petrol, but then it wouldnt work as you have described, it could be possible the float arm is bent out of shape and catching on the low fuel light sensor perhaps?
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Hi mate, yeah I thought it could be something like that but I have changed the sender and I still have the same problem, In the exact same position, it's like it sends the wrong voltage to the gauge but I have no idea what else to try..
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

have you checked the wireing to the gauge and the sender. if its connected to something wrong it may not be able to get the full voltage to the gauge stopping it working above half dose it stay on or go off after the ignition is off?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”