Track Day List

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

edb490

Track Day List

Post by edb490 »

I'm putting together a list of all the track days in the UK with a searchable database etc. It's just a hobby site because I do quite a few track days myself in a Caterham and I got fed up having to visit 30 different organisers to find a suitable day.

www.trackdaylist.com

I'm after feedback for any days I've missed out or ways I can improve the site, just let me know please. :)[/url]
Last edited by edb490 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
brgbrm

Re: Track Day List

Post by brgbrm »

Hi

I like the way you've put the day of the week, I usually go on .openpitlane which doesn't.

Marc
edb490

Post by edb490 »

Thanks... I tried to do the site in a "what would I like in a perfect world" way. Any suggestions would be welcomed...
swampy

Post by swampy »

This is excellent... :clap:

I really can not believe this has not been done before as like you state you spend ages searching through all the different sites which takes for ever i then make a diy calender but this is the way.
You even have a few organisers i wasnt aware of so thats a bonus.

How does it get updated as regards the spaces left option?

You also have track and Testing sessions i believe which are obviously 2 different things as regards the license but same as above aplies..
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

:clap: :thumleft:

im loving your site, its brilliant.

the only thing its missing is the ability to order the results by price or by location, either all 1 location grouped together or by nearest 1st.

otherwise, wicked. good work.
edb490

Post by edb490 »

swampy wrote:How does it get updated as regards the spaces left option?

You also have track and Testing sessions i believe which are obviously 2 different things as regards the license but same as above aplies..

I'm trying to persuade the TDOs to update their availability on it, I think it is good just to have a central resource that people can look at.

I put testing sessions in for completeness, but if people aren't bothered too much by them I won't keep them.
edb490

Post by edb490 »

dantheman wrote::clap: :thumleft:

im loving your site, its brilliant.

the only thing its missing is the ability to order the results by price or by location, either all 1 location grouped together or by nearest 1st.

otherwise, wicked. good work.

Thanks. :)

I will add the ability to order by price soon. Ordering by distance is trickier though!
swampy

Post by swampy »

Keep the test days :oldtongue:
Would be nice to have this as a seperate filter though if i was being fussy.
edb490

Post by edb490 »

swampy wrote:Keep the test days :oldtongue:
Would be nice to have this as a seperate filter though if i was being fussy.

It's already on there as a filter...
swampy

Post by swampy »

is it? whoops
In that case :clap: well done
Rustyracing

Post by Rustyracing »

Nice work, handy little site that. I like the way you've linked it together via a googlemap, with all of its functionality.

I had previously used this site which I found to be very useful
http://www.trackdays.co.uk/calendar/cars/

Only a quick observation, but you don't seem to recognise Spa or Loton (nr Cardiff) as trackday destinations. Loton, fair enough, its fairly small, but if you feature Zolder and the Nurburgring, why not Spa?

And the postcode search facility, which is a great idea, doesn't accept full postcodes.
edb490

Post by edb490 »

Rustyracing wrote:Only a quick observation, but you don't seem to recognise Spa or Loton (nr Cardiff) as trackday destinations. Loton, fair enough, its fairly small, but if you feature Zolder and the Nurburgring, why not Spa?

And the postcode search facility, which is a great idea, doesn't accept full postcodes.

Who organises days at Loton? If there aren't any days somewhere then I've not added it. I have focussed on UK to start off with, will add more euro tracks "soon".

Not planning on changing to a full postcode, it only adds a few miles of accuracy but you have to have a massive database (and I am on cheap hosting!) and keep it updated which is a PITA.
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Being honest, when I saw your initial post I thought.. but there are a couple of sites which do something similar.
Having now clicked on your website, it is MILES ahead of the others imo and makes things so much quicker and easier to find TDs around you. I hope the TDO's get behind this as its the better website out there imo.

Congrats! :)
Rustyracing

Post by Rustyracing »

edb490 wrote:
Rustyracing wrote:Only a quick observation, but you don't seem to recognise Spa or Loton (nr Cardiff) as trackday destinations. Loton, fair enough, its fairly small, but if you feature Zolder and the Nurburgring, why not Spa?

Who organises days at Loton? If there aren't any days somewhere then I've not added it. I have focussed on UK to start off with, will add more euro tracks "soon".

Not planning on changing to a full postcode, it only adds a few miles of accuracy but you have to have a massive database (and I am on cheap hosting!) and keep it updated which is a PITA.

Nuts, sorry, I meant Llandow, I always get those 2 confused. Mental block or something :oops:

The calender link I quoted seem to accept bookings on this link, but no idea who the provider is.
http://www.trackdays.co.uk/tracks/llandow.htm

As for postcode, fair enough, understand. I just put my full postcode in to begin with and it went loopy.
edb490

Post by edb490 »

Ah, that's a good point. I've actually been in contact with Llandow and they've got an account so will be adding their dates soon, fingers crossed. :)
edb490

Post by edb490 »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. I've gone away and made quite a few changes to the www.trackdaylist.com track day list that I put up. Hopefully these are all positive and what you like to see! The changes are:

1) Date format is now DD-MM-YYYY instead of YYYY-MM-DD.

2) I've added Mornings/Afternoon lengths, previously it was just Full Day/Evening.

3) When you click on a flag on the map it no longer resets the zoom and centre of the map.

4) Clicking "Show Notes" no longer shows for all events, just the one you clicked.

5) Change the distance search, so mileages are now 50, 100, 150 and 200 instead of 10, 20, 50, 100, 200.

6) I've also put up a list of instructors and hire companies... if you are an instructor/hire company and want to be included let me know.

7) General redesign to make it a bit more attractive.

8) Updates to some of the labels, e.g. noise limits and full day, to make it clearer and easier to understand.

9) Biggest change for usability is you can now pass information to the search engine in the query string, e.g.:

To list Easytrack events:
Car: http://www.trackdaylist.com/?organiser_ ... e_type=Car
Bike: http://www.trackdaylist.com/?organiser_ ... _type=Bike

You could list all events at Silverstone at the weekends:
http://www.trackdaylist.com/?circuit_id ... ekdays=1,7

Or maybe all events in July with a noise limit of 105dB:
http://www.trackdaylist.com/?noise_stat ... 2010-07-31

Car events in August at Silverstone:
http://www.trackdaylist.com/?circuit_id ... e_type=Car

I've also got in touch with all of the track day organisers, and had a really positive response from them, so thank you. Most organisers have asked for a login so they can add/edit their own events, which is great for everyone as it means the information is kept as fresh and up to date as possible. Less work for me too. :)

That's about it for now, as always please keep the feedback coming my way so I can improve it and make it the site you want it to be.
edb490

Post by edb490 »

I've just come on to give everyone a bit of an update on trackdaylist.com

All the events are fully up to date, there have been quite a few (about 90) track day dates added recently. The big one is Donington - they are doing track days there again! So lots of car and bike dates added. Also a lot more dates at Snetterton, and a smattering at all the other circuits.

Hope that helps anyone who is booking a track day soon. :)
John145

Post by John145 »

Good website! Will be saving 100 quid on my next trackday thanks to this site!
GBTurbo

Post by GBTurbo »

Site is spot on mate well done
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

That is a great site :thumleft:

Really usefull

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”