drop links maybe?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Delgado-Go!

drop links maybe?

Post by Delgado-Go! »

hello,

I think my drop links may have given up the ghost on my 2. Basically the symptoms are that I get a clonky kind of noise when i go over potholes and especially when i turn right at full lock. The sound seems to be coming from the front drivers side arch.

Having done some routing around on the forums I've come to the conclusion that the droplink(s) have 'gone'. Would this be a fair assesment based on the above?

The other thing could be top mounts bolt coming loose. I will check this prior to attemtpting to replace the droplinks.

Assuming it is droplinks, I'm assuming its best to replace both(?) sides at the same time? Where is the best place (read cheap but good quality) at a decent price?

Thanks!

PS If i'm talking xxxx above it;s cos i dont really kmow what i'm talking about other than wot i read on here.
malcster

Re: drop links maybe?

Post by malcster »

Sounds like either drop links or top mounts, if the knock is coming from the top it'll be the top mounts, drop links are under the car.

Drop links are the cheapest out of the 2, you can get some half decent ones on eBay that a few folk here use including myself - no problems here.

Ideally yes, you want to do both sides. Drop links are probably £50 for a set of 4 for the whole car, top mounts are a fair bit more.
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
1/4 Mile Best: 14.30s
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

It could also be the lower ball joints.

I had a knocking for ages, changed the drop links, ARB bushes and was just set to change the top mounts when by coincidence I changed the hub and thought I'd do the ball joint while I had the hub off.

Afterwards, the blissed silence of no knocking! The ball joint wasn't showing any signs of wear (rocking the top and bottom of the wheel with it off the ground) and to be honest, even when I had the ball joint off the car and in my hand it didn't seem worn at all.

Just a heads up :)
Delgado-Go!

Post by Delgado-Go! »

Slarty wrote:It could also be the lower ball joints.

I had a knocking for ages, changed the drop links, ARB bushes and was just set to change the top mounts when by coincidence I changed the hub and thought I'd do the ball joint while I had the hub off.

Afterwards, the blissed silence of no knocking! The ball joint wasn't showing any signs of wear (rocking the top and bottom of the wheel with it off the ground) and to be honest, even when I had the ball joint off the car and in my hand it didn't seem worn at all.

Just a heads up :)

Thanks guys.

Will try work logically - Top mounts: tighten, test. Then drop links replacement: test then ball joint replacement: test.

Hoping that it'll be the first one in the list of course!

On the drop links: how widely do they vary in quality. I know theres a dude on MR2OC who sells them circa £70 but I've also seen full sets (front and rear) on ebay for £50.

Don't necessarily want to scrimp but don't by premium stuff for a car that I only use at weekends.
Delgado-Go!

Post by Delgado-Go! »

Just wondered...

as I won't really have time to trouble shoot this problem this weekend will I be doing the car more or permanent damage by driving it around with the clonking.

Not about to go speeding around but it is my only mode of transport!
Craig_MR2T

Post by Craig_MR2T »

Just wondering if any of you have purchased these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-89-99- ... 5194e552e7

I got a similar knocking althought only really knocks over speedbumps. most dips in the road etc are ok

I cant seem to find top mounts on ebaay that are reasonably cheap. best Im seen is a set for £114 for front two

Did you ever get you knocking sorted?
Delgado-Go!

Post by Delgado-Go! »

Craig_MR2T wrote:Just wondering if any of you have purchased these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-89-99- ... 5194e552e7

I got a similar knocking althought only really knocks over speedbumps. most dips in the road etc are ok

I cant seem to find top mounts on ebaay that are reasonably cheap. best Im seen is a set for £114 for front two

Did you ever get you knocking sorted?

Ha - just seen this. I never sorted it. Sold the car as I found a better one with lower mileage! Only lost a couple of hundred but as you found with the costs (and the extra road tax I got) it worked out better!

I found Toyota ones from TCB for about what your sayin but never had to use the company so don't know how legit they were/are
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i too have bought a set of droplinks off ebay and they seem fine so far (not been on that long though), the v6 i bought had a set of 'uprated' ones on from a well known trader and they didnt seem to last long at all, i didnt buy them but the person i bought the car off did and mentioned they didnt last long.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

it's a bit of a lottery, those ebay ones. I've got a set of 4 of them, 2 months down the line nothing knocks. I've heard bad opionions about the "red" links and quite good about the thicker ones marked "delphi" or something similar. At the end of the day they're easy to replace even on your drive, and they arent that pricey.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”