[Mk2] [NA] MK2 Project

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sw20

[Mk2] [NA] MK2 Project

Post by sw20 »

Hi To All Firstly as i have just joined the forum so go easy 8-[ , I thought i would post up my ongoing MR2 on the road project, On the road meaning it's my only car at the moment so having to use it for work everyday and changing bits on the weekend etc. I bought my Rev2 N/A G-LTD back in october 2008 I had it for 1 month and the bottom end went :cry: , i had to take it of the road for a few months to save the cash up etc. The picture below is when i first got the car.

Was a clean solid import and a good base to start with, After i got the engine all fixed which cost a fortune and i could have had a turbo lump fitted for the price i started off with a Turbo Engine Cover change and also an air scoop on the n/s.

The inside of the car is totaly standard, i bought some of that 3M Carbon Wrap stuff and had a go covering the gear stick surrond, Didnt come out to bad for my first attempt.

The engine has only done around 3500 miles since fully rebuilt, Running on Millers Motorsport Oil, Power Enterprise Oil Filter and Power enterprise intake roar pipe and filter as pictured.

Just a couple of pictures after a good polish last weekend, You will notice i have also done the rear lights and front side reapeters black.

At the moment i am happy the way the car is looking and decided in Febuary i was going to start saving up for an engine conversion, i don't want to give away to much as i still have a few quid to save up and i know how quickly personal circumstances can change after losing my previuos job over a year ago. But hopefully in the autum i can get underway. In the mean time i new i was going to need some fat rubber on the back end :twisted: , I wanted to be a little different and bought a set of JDM Supra Alloys, 16" the front 8" wide and 9" wide on the rear, I have a 245/45 on the back and going to fit a 205/45 on the front, I need a set of 15mm Spacers to make these fit but as below i made some just to do a test fittment.

The fronts currently have 225 tye which is way to big as i found out.

You can see with the 225 tyre there aint much room! But this will clear no problem once i have the 205 tyres fitted.

You can just see the white little test spacers i made.

The rear wheels cleared no problems with the 245/45 tyres so was really pleased.

You can see the wheels fitt the line of the car very well and dont stick out like i had feared, Makes the back end look very wide with those tyres on also.

Just ordered the 4 new toyo tyres for the wheels and need to order the 2 sets of spacers and studs. Im going to get the wheels re-furbed so any suggestions on colour are more than welcome.

I have the car booked in to have my custom exhaust made on 15th May, This will then also fit the new engine once fittied so not wasting money twice on exhausts.

I am know millionaire so don't expect things to rattle along fast but hopefully things will tick along every month but should get more interesting once the engine work starts :mrgreen:

Thanks to all who took time out to read my thread, Craig....
nikaiyo

Re: [Mk2] [NA] MK2 Project

Post by nikaiyo »

Welcome to IMOC dude, car is looking good mate :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Nice little project you got there matey, welcome to IMOC by the way :thumleft:
sw20

New Exhaust

Post by sw20 »

Hi All,

Well i have had my new exhaust made up and im happy the way it looks and has a nice deep noise but not to loud :clap: Of course this exhaust is going to be used on the new engine once fitted so it may be louder then?? will have to wait and see, Taged some pics for yous to judge??..

I went for a single O/S Exit coming out at 45% angle approx with a 4.5" slash cut style, We removed the metal sheild that covers the back box so really opens the back bumper up now and you can see the back box more clear :thumleft:

On the list next:

Need to change all the discs and pads, Going for EBC Green Stuff with Drilled/Grooved discs all round. Got a question if anyone can help (Are the rear N/A Discs and pads the same as a turbo? as when the engine gets changed i will need to run turbo rear hubs and don't want to spend money on discs and pads if i am going to need to change them again with the hubs??..

Going sort a new shorter rear number plate out aswell.

Need to get the supra wheels re-furbed and new tyres fitted and get a set of titainium wheel nuts.

I do like the Do-Luck front bumpers for the MR2 and may purchase one? seem pretty rare tho??.

Cheers for looking again, Update soon :thumleft:
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Rare, and expensive yea.

I'd go crazy on the alloys, make it a fluor colour.

Green or yellow. But that's just me :mrgreen:
sw20

Brakes!!!!

Post by sw20 »

Hi All, Ok little update.

Me and the misses went for a drive up to Alston on Sunday and to Hartside Cafe! which was a real good day the raods are great! A little Mini apeared in the rear view mirror and decided to have a little fun for a few miles, Pushing the car hard we went over a bridge and i heard a grinding noise :| We got upto the cafe and i could smell burning. It turns out the rear brakes had decided to let up and smoke like hell :( So my new rear brakes had to be ordered on monday. I ordered EBC rear Sport vented discs and went for Endless fast raod pads. The pads should be hear on Friday but i'am heading to modified Nationals on Saturday so wont get them fitted untill Monday, Got some pics of the discs for now...

Cheers All :thumleft:
reddev1ll09

Post by reddev1ll09 »

Looking good buddy & loving your new discs.
sw20

Update!

Post by sw20 »

Hi All,

Just got back from Moddifed Nationals, Was a cracking weekend but totaly knakered now :cry:

My Enfless Fast Road pads have arrived! so thats tomorrows job, Fitting the new discs and pads :D .

And my new rear short plate has also come and i have fitted it straight on as was only a 2 min job, Car looks loads better without that huge plate!.

Plate

Old Plate below!

New Plate below Fitted!!....

Well thats all for now and will post up new dics/pads once fitted! I am off to sleep of my booze filled weekend!

Cheers All... :thumleft:
sw20

update again!

Post by sw20 »

Hello All,

Ok another little update, I picked up a GReddy Sun Strip at the car show so i had a try a fitting it as below.

Not 100% sure if it looks good?? :|

I have also fitted my new discs and pads at last!.

Another little change i decided to do was get rid of the square front number plate as i hangs over the mouth of the front bumper, When the new engine gets fitted were going to put a larger radiator in the front so need as much air flow as possible. I bought a stick on plate like you see on kit cars etc.

Old Plate.

New Plate!

I think it looks fairly good with the stick on plate?? any comments most welcome of course..

Cheers Craig.... :thumleft:
sw20

latest update

Post by sw20 »

Hi All,

Things have slowed up at the mo, I dont want to fit the supra wheels untill the engine is done as i will just have to take the new studs out the rear hubs and re-fit them on the turbo hubs and my luck i will damage them or something, I am looking at a larger brake conversion for the front but i need the 16" wheels on before this can be fitted also, I am keeping an eye out for a set of coilovers but may wait until the engine is done incase i need some extra cash for unexpected parts etc.

Was a little bored to night after work so thought i would clean up the front calipers for now untill the new ones get fitted \:D/

Proberbly a little sad :oops: i know but i did already have the brembo stickers in the garage from my last car so thought id throw them on for now.

Cheers Craig......
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Looking good....nice update on your project. :thumleft:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

car looks to be coming along nicely :thumleft: although ! just my opinion ................................ ](*,) that sun strip :shocked: it would have to go for me ! enjoy your car , keep the updates coming .
1993 GT TURBO
sw20

July Update

Post by sw20 »

Hi All,

Update at last,

The car has been put on the back burner over the last couple of weeks so to cheer it up i finally ordered my wheel spacer kit so i can get on fitting the supra rims, Really after some advise on what colour to go for on the wheels?? please offer your idea's!!! i was thinking gold? i duno #-o

New Spacers below!

Ok i have also ordered some titainium wheel nuts and should pik them up over the weekend, these things weigh about the same as a jelly baby!.

And also ordered a set of F1/Drift Style wing mirrors which i have been after for sometime but coulnt dare parting with £350 for the craft square ones lol, so i found a set from a company in the good old US of A. Got them at a snip complete with base plates etc delivered to me for £85.00 and i will post some pictures and fitting once they arrive in the next 10 days or so.

Like i say please offer any idea's for the final colour of my supra wheels! will be a great help.

Cheers Craig :thumleft:
sw20

Mirrirs

Post by sw20 »

Hi All,

Little update, My F1/Drift Style mirrors i ordered from the states have arrived today.

The total cost for the mirrors including delivery and import tax + Parcelforce release fee was £60.98 which i dont think is bad considering you cant buy them in the u.k for that anywhere.

The kit came with 2 x Mirrors, 2 x mounting base plates, 1 x fitting kit, and a window sticker? which if fitted produces around 5 bhp i think :mrgreen:

Pics below

The mirrors are also tinted and are plain black so can be painted but in this case can just be fitted straight on the car, Seem very solid and have a metal rod conecting the mirror to the base plates which seems good quality and they have plenty of adjustment to suit your driving posistion etc. I am thinking of purchasing another few sets from the same guy and put them on the for sale thread if there is any interest?.

Hopefully get these fitted tomorrow if the rain keeps off and will post up results.

silentstu

Post by silentstu »

cool project mate :)

keep it up

not sure about the sunstrip tho...just my opinion
ChrisT

Post by ChrisT »

Nice little project, but would have to agree with negative comments about sunstrip. Sunstrips are for Corsas. Car would look much better without it :thumleft:
sw20

Mirrors Fitted

Post by sw20 »

Hi All,

Think my next mod is to remove the sunstrip :oops: ha ha.

O.K i have been fitting my mirrors between the rain showers, They fitted ok but did need to oval a few holes to make them line up ok and had a few rounded off screws to help me on the way lol, Pics below.

Rounded screws which is just my luck!

Door striped to unplug electric mirror conections.

Base plate in place.

And all fitted.

Pretty pleased with the look, But i must mention when in the driving seat the passanger side mirror is about 80% blocked by the A-Piller! So deemed useless in my opinion but the driverside is spot on.

Opions please

HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Like the tubby lid, brakes and new plates but not the sun strip, scoop or mirrors. End of the day though the object is to make your car individual so as long as you're loving it all is good.
Keep up the updates....

R.

Return to “Member Profiles”