Another Induction kit Question

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nickstapleton

Another Induction kit Question

Post by Nickstapleton »

How do i start, wel Ive got a filter in the boot MK1b and its a Halfords type filter and I dont know if any body else experiences like a surge sometimes when releasing the throttle at high speeds ie

say running along at 50 then put your foot down hard almost touching the floor then once reached your desired speed say 70, as you release and come to the top of the bight on the accelerator the car feels like its accelarating faster.

Its like having the opposite effect as to what should happen in a way, er I suppose its like press down the accelerator 1/4 the car picks up quick foot down to say 3/4 not so quick.

Does this make sense ??

is it just me or could it mean the filter is too big or is it that good old mind trick, its just confusing the pants off me.

Any ideas

cheers nick
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Another Induction kit Question

Post by Lauren »

Sorry, that makes no sense to me. An air filter is not going to cause issues like that.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

As Lauren says, this won't be related to air intake.....

Sounds to me TPS-signal related: after all, the TPS sends a signal to the ECU, which in turn determines how much fuel is injected.......

Could be mixture-related....?

Unless the throttle is sticking, maybe...?
dylbie

Post by dylbie »

Nickstapleton wrote:Its like having the opposite effect as to what should happen in a way, er I suppose its like press down the accelerator 1/4 the car picks up quick foot down to say 3/4 not so quick.

Does this make sense ??

:D

The symptoms that you say, that its more of a 'surge' points to something electronic. A diagnosis check might show if you've got a broken sensor somewhere.

Also, have a look at the throttle cable as it might be getting caught or snagged on something. I had a Suzuki Swift GTi where the cable used to fall off its guide and jam the throttle open.

Get a mate to rev the car from inside and watch it to see if its all moving properly. Not loose or sticking anywhere.
vashy

Post by vashy »

From experience, incorrect ignition timing can cause effects similar to what you describe.

When I had my ignition timing too retarded I was getting more acceleration at part throttle than full throttle at certain rpms (mostly around 3000).

Set to spec I get linear throttle response.
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
Nickstapleton

Post by Nickstapleton »

Thanks to all who have posted back will look into all that has been suggested, can always rely on owners to help.

Thanks all :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”