£200 induct kits v £100 'uns..

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bobbyh

£200 induct kits v £100 'uns..

Post by bobbyh »

well, its friday, spring is sprung so apart from girls, a mans mind turns to his old soon to be un-SORN'd hoon car.

as in the title,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PiperCross-Viper- ... 439b83fbed

why would you pay twice the price for the VIPER kit, when Piper also do just an 'induction kit,' for £100??

anyone have experience with these? it's the old psychological adage, the if its more expensive, it MUST be worth it..

cheers
SuperRedMR2

Re: £200 induct kits v £100 'uns..

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

or you could just buy a K&N filter for £80 or a ramair filter from the Corolla GTI for £35. I used the ramair filter for ages and it was very good.
sloopeh

Post by sloopeh »

never heard of the ramair ones - any idea what one it is? went to their website and couldnt be sure...
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Oooh! Induction kits........a REAL can of worms to open....! :D

I have used the Vipers in the past: for 2 reasons:

Firstly, I wanted a sealed inlet of cold air....

and secondly...I love Carbon Fibre...! \:D/

That was on my Mk1 NA.
On the Mk3 V6, I have a thing called the K+N Apollo: this is a sealed unit, very much like the Viper, with a 70mm cold air feed, and its made of plastic (good quality...pretty...but STILL plastic!) rather than CF.

TBH, any decent quality filter, supplied with a good feed of cold air, is going to be OK...the main thing (besides the cold air!) is the quality of filtration...thats the real killer spec.

Loads of the Ebay / chinese cone filters are advertised as "high flow, increase horsepower" etc, etc...but most of them do this by having bigger holes / less resistance to the airflow....and this invariably lets particles through.......... :roll:

Personally, I trust K+N: they are tried and tested, so I buy their filters.....
If you want greater airflow capacity....I simply fit a bigger filter...!

For a while, when I had my MK1 SC conversion, I made a siamese twin OEM MK1b filter, by simply plumbing both of them together.
Now as you have twice the surface area of the original filter, you're doubling the flow capacity of the filters, but maintaining the OEM filtration.

Treat the cheaper filters with caution: I suppose that besides K+N, Pipercross, Apexi, etc are also good, tried and tested...but steer clear of the "Mushroom filter, Like Apexi" replicas, etc........ :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:or you could just buy a K&N filter for £80 or a ramair filter from the Corolla GTI for £35. I used the ramair filter for ages and it was very good.

Or just buy a K&N cone filter for £20 like I did. :+:

Why people spend so much money on 'induction' kits is beyond me.

Cold air feeds are well over-rated IMO. Stick a cone filter on the throttle body, job done. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

K&N 57i :thumleft:
aw11rally

mk1b only

Post by aw11rally »

Even better than a cone on ones throttle body why not just stick it on the flange where the air intake enters the boot (mk1b only).

Standard looking engine bay, nice clean cool air from the boot, fit and forget.

Oh...and the boot acts as a nice amplifier box for the induction roar....brum brum!
Nickstapleton

Post by Nickstapleton »

tbh I dont think the viper kit is worth the money, 200 quid for a filter and a bit of flex tube..... imo not worth it as our cars are rear engine and I believe these are pretty much made for Front engine cars unless you place the Flexy tube outside or in an area where you can 'scoop' air in. I believe the principle is that the faster the car travels the more air gets forced into the air filter and then into the throttle body thus giving more power 8-[ , 'if im wrong I stand corrected', but assuming im right then your better off getting, as suggested a 57I K&N or HKS or a unbranded filter, in some cases a replacement pannel filter can make for a better replacement. Also I have used several different filters in many cars and honestly I never really found any difference in performance appart from sound but I never dynod so cant be 100%.
In my car I run a Halfords special lol, just a big cone in the boot MK1b, seems to work fine 'to an extent which I need info on, will open a thread', so I guess its up to you
Hope this helps :thumleft:
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

£200 is a lot for the Viper.....too much, if I'm honest about it....! :shock:

However, I got mine off Ebay for £77.56....... :wink:

Truth is that almost any Viper will fit most cars, so you could fit a Saxo one, for instance, with very little reworking...... :D

Personally, I wouldn't buy one new, either.....but an Ebay jobbie can be a bargain..... :thumleft:
pantera2075

Post by pantera2075 »

My induction is a Mondeo flexi pipe cut down (Cuz it holds the correct sensor for the Megasquirt) with a ring of rubber super-glued into the end to bring the bore down to 4age size. Then at the other end a Saxo Pipercross foam filter (99p off the bay) amalgam taped and screwed on.

Bodgetastic, but it works.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I bought a second-hand Pipercross filter from an autojumble for a fiver, and fixed it in the boot with some gaffer tape. It was fine like this for a year and complimented my Elise exhaust very well :thumleft:

I'd never spend that sort of money on a bit of pointless bling. At the same show I bought my pipercross, Pete bought a generic cone filter for 15 quid and it did exactly the same thing.
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

whats wrong with the stock setup? youre not increasing the power by altering it, only the noise. since more noise = faster in the perception of the majority of drivers, it feels faster. but its not.

theres just no way an open filter in a hot engine bay (and we know it is hot in there, since it has been well proven that there is very little airflow through the engine bay at any speed) trumps the stock setup. it might be a long pipe, but there are so many gaps in the sliding sections that air just gets drawn in from wherever it pleases anyway. and a flat pleated paper filter (when clean) flows just as well as a cotton cone filter.

id save your money and not buy any induction kit at all. spend the money on suspension or brakes instead, youll notice more of a difference.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Lauren wrote:
SuperRedMR2 wrote:or you could just buy a K&N filter for £80 or a ramair filter from the Corolla GTI for £35. I used the ramair filter for ages and it was very good.

Or just buy a K&N cone filter for £20 like I did. :+:

Why people spend so much money on 'induction' kits is beyond me.

Cold air feeds are well over-rated IMO. Stick a cone filter on the throttle body, job done. :+:

don't forget B&Q washer/dryer ducting to direct the cold air :thumleft:

£6 + £20 cone = Awesome.
bobbyh

Post by bobbyh »

Cheers,
got a k&n 57i kit off eBay £33!
cabbydave1

k+n

Post by cabbydave1 »

Thats a shame i've got one here doing nothing just needs a clean wont be needing this k+n with the rev3 in my mk1
jimi

Post by jimi »

Jim-SR wrote:whats wrong with the stock setup? youre not increasing the power by altering it, only the noise. since more noise = faster in the perception of the majority of drivers, it feels faster. but its not.

theres just no way an open filter in a hot engine bay (and we know it is hot in there, since it has been well proven that there is very little airflow through the engine bay at any speed) trumps the stock setup. it might be a long pipe, but there are so many gaps in the sliding sections that air just gets drawn in from wherever it pleases anyway. and a flat pleated paper filter (when clean) flows just as well as a cotton cone filter.

id save your money and not buy any induction kit at all. spend the money on suspension or brakes instead, youll notice more of a difference.

:thumleft:

Exactly !

It's beyond me why anyone would even consider spending £50+ on a filter to stick in a hot, dusty (and wet when it rains) engine bay for what ?
minimal or no gain and noise ?
Mr T had the filter in the engine bay on the 1a and then moved it into the boot, I wonder why ?
I've experimented with a cone filter in the engine bay and reverted to the standard setup. I found that with the cone filter the car sounded faster, but had less low/mid range torque. Standard setup sounds slower, but feels faster with better low/mid range torque.
I've even tried a K&N panel filter in the standard airbox but felt that it to was restricting the engine.
Now I run with a standard Mr T filter and am quite happy with it.
I'm with Jim, you'd be far better spending the money on brakes first (IMHO) and then suspension :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Mr2_NA wrote:
don't forget B&Q washer/dryer ducting to direct the cold air :thumleft:

£6 + £20 cone = Awesome.

There's little point seeing as there is a significant airflow through the engine bay and power only drops off over about 70c.

Cone filter on the throttle body is fine.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

I know many disagree, but to me the noise is important...I love the sound of the induction roar right behind my ear and the bark from the stainless exhaust. Driving is a sensory experience and for some drivers is not neccessarily about extracting every last ounce from the efficiency of the setup, but creating a machine that you want to drive, for whichever reason floats your particular boat. The noise, for me at least, is key to that experience being an enjoyable one.
cogboy

Re: mk1b only

Post by cogboy »

aw11rally wrote:Even better than a cone on ones throttle body why not just stick it on the flange where the air intake enters the boot

Wahey! Tee hee hee.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”