[Mk2] [NA] Been posting this for 5 years no answere! radio ignition noise

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Vindezal

[Mk2] [NA] Been posting this for 5 years no answere! radio ignition noise

Post by Vindezal »

Still get ignition crackling when car is on. Even when I alter the heat settings/fans below the stereo i get a crrrsshh.

One thing I would point is when I have given the car a wash or its rained. The noise is hardly there but once what ever dries out it comes back. You have that horrible noise in the background when radio 4 or 3 is on.

Dont know what earth point it is? is it a bad connection where the suppresor is attached to the alternator?
Noise suppresors etc ive put in dont do anything.CD player is fine.
ALPINE cd player. 4v etc..
nitric4k

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Been posting this for 5 years no answere! radio ignition noise

Post by nitric4k »

is it only on radio or cds? got bbe checking in the boot wd all the plugs??
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

I'd also be looking at earth points.

After you wash the car the noise go's, sounds like better contact being made.

Try washing your car in sectors and test your cd player in between. Most likely to be the boot aerial.
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

Could this be caused by faulty HT leads?

Quite a few years ago in a previous car I tried some strange sort of split spark HT lead thing. Aside from not helping engine performance at all, they made the ignition interfere with the radio.

Cheers,
Kingsley.
b4rk3r

Post by b4rk3r »

Have you tried other head units? Might be worth a try
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

pull the radio out, make sure wiring is correct, and check if earth strap is connected to body, it maybe a mess behind there but might be worth it
Lee8ballauto

Post by Lee8ballauto »

It'll be an electrical interference be something to do with the wiring at back of stereo. You can buy a supression kit to erradicate it though.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

suppressor wont get rid of the problem, it will merely cover over it.

id check the wireing and try identify where its coming from

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

I know this may seem a tad odd and probably obvious but when we stop having a hose pipe ban or we stop having rain (odd as it is and which ever comes first) can you not just drench a part of a car at a time to see where it's resolving the 'crshhh' lol. If it is an earth issue wouldnt this minimise the places to look?
DirkMR2

Post by DirkMR2 »

The sound you are hearing is due to a faulty mass cable.

Its very typical to hear engine rev sounds and other noises coming from electrical current using devices in your car if your mass cable(s) arent in tip-top shape anymore.

To correct this, run a new mass cable directly from the battery to your headunit, and if you have any amplifiers in your system make them all use the same mass/ground point.

It also pays off to check your engine mass point and sand it down to get rid of all the rust and redo the bolt afterwards.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

just a thought, there is a connection that bolts to the ignition coil/ignitor assembley on the rear bulkhead of the engine bay, i beleive it is something to do with noise suppresion, might be worth checking
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

Quigonjay wrote:just a thought, there is a connection that bolts to the ignition coil/ignitor assembley on the rear bulkhead of the engine bay, i beleive it is something to do with noise suppresion, might be worth checking

got any pictures? where it is?
stormshadow

Post by stormshadow »

I have fixed mine and my mates MR2's with noisy stereos by running a direct earth from the head unit to the chassis (as close as possible to the stereo).

I earthed mine to one of the bolts that holds the gear leaver assembly down.

Worth a punt.
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

stormshadow wrote:I have fixed mine and my mates MR2's with noisy stereos by running a direct earth from the head unit to the chassis (as close as possible to the stereo).

I earthed mine to one of the bolts that holds the gear leaver assembly down.

Worth a punt.

tried that. made no difference.
RST

Post by RST »

By 4v do you mean you have an active system? I've had problems before -sure it's off the fuel pump in an MR2 but it's been cured by a surpressor capacitor. I did have a problem fitting my HU first off -there was absolutely no earth whatsoever I could find for my stock unit. I have no idea how it worked -the extra earth lead that someone put on the head unit chassis wasn't even an earth.

If it's an active system have you powered the stock amps from a 12v source on the car? I had horrid whining before I realised it needed to come from the remote / aerial up function off the back of my HU rather than switched from the dash. The active system autoleads adapter didn't have provision for powering the stock amps until I modified it.
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

RST wrote:By 4v do you mean you have an active system? I've had problems before -sure it's off the fuel pump in an MR2 but it's been cured by a surpressor capacitor. I did have a problem fitting my HU first off -there was absolutely no earth whatsoever I could find for my stock unit. I have no idea how it worked -the extra earth lead that someone put on the head unit chassis wasn't even an earth.

If it's an active system have you powered the stock amps from a 12v source on the car? I had horrid whining before I realised it needed to come from the remote / aerial up function off the back of my HU rather than switched from the dash. The active system autoleads adapter didn't have provision for powering the stock amps until I modified it.

No, ive got a alpine cd hu, powering my sub with the amp in the frunk. The amp powers the front components and sub.

when car is wet tho, generally no crackling so i really woud like to know where this famous earth bolt is!!
Navz

Post by Navz »

me too, same problem for YEARS!!!! many diff stereo's tried, even Fully re-wired etc.

Return to “ICE and Security”