Ps3 shortages

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mikee66

Ps3 shortages

Post by mikee66 »

Sony Computer Entertainment has confirmed that there are stock shortages of its PS3 console in the UK, MCV reports.

The studio put the consumer demand down to the release of the slimline PS3 model, which has exceeded its expectations. It added that it is doing everything in its power to rectify the situation.

"Since we launched the slimline PS3 model, the demand has been overwhelming - running over 20% ahead of our expectations," said sales director Mark Howsen.

"Whilst it is hugely pleasing that PS3 slim has been greeted so enthusiastically, we understand that this has led to some stock issues, particularly with the 120Gb model. We are doing our best to address these issues and hope to catch up in the next few weeks."

The demand for PS3 consoles is expected to surge in the next month due to the release of several high profile titles, including Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII and God Of War III.

I think this shows that the ps3 is becoming the "must have" console of 2010, Some cracking games coming out in the next few months too!
DannyN

Re: Ps3 shortages

Post by DannyN »

your gonna start the ps3 v xbox argument again [-X

I think some of the sales are due to the size, colour and bluray capability
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

lol at the UK market.

We mean jack xxxx! The biggest market is the US and the xbox is still outselling the ps3 there by quite a margin.

Even the guys at Sony dont think theyll outsell the 360 untill MS get a new console out and by then it will be pointless.
Rev 3 GTS
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

DannyN wrote:your gonna start the ps3 v xbox argument again [-X

See, I told you :roll:
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

DannyN wrote:
DannyN wrote:your gonna start the ps3 v xbox argument again [-X

See, I told you :roll:

Stop reading the thread then?

When people are arguing about cars or parts i dont whinge. :D
Rev 3 GTS
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

SamUK wrote:lol at the UK market.

We mean jack xxxx! The biggest market is the US and the xbox is still outselling the ps3 there by quite a margin.

Even the guys at Sony dont think theyll outsell the 360 untill MS get a new console out and by then it will be pointless.

Sorry Sam but if you look at the worldwide figures the ps3 is only slightly behind the 360 but the ds and wii and even psp are miles ahead.

What i was getting at is the ps3 is catching up to the 360 and that can only be a good thing imo, More choice, price wars etc
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

Also sam remember that Final Fantasy XIII is out soon and given that the ps3 version is superior than the 360 version this will only help push sales on

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2526/ffxii ... er-on-xbox

I'm wondering if the ps3 was the lead console on this and lost planet and thats why the ps3 versions are superior?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

This isn't so much a case of millions of people suddenly wanting a PS3, it's a case of Sony not being able to purchase enough 120GB HDs to fulfil their normal supply lines. They'll have a contract with a specific company and if that company has an issue with their suppliers over a certain part, then things get held up.

Total non-story IMHO. There's just as many big games due for release on the 360, but you don't see MS whinging about stock shortages. Clever bit of spin by Sony mind, Alistair Campbell would be proud!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I prefer the Xbox but I'm a realist.

Had the PS3 been launched at the same time as the 360 and for the same price, it would have owned it from the word go.

Not because it's better but because it has a fanbase that just means it will sell.

I think in the not too distant future, now a PS3 isnt £400 it will exceed the 360 sales. Becuase the 360 is getting a bit old, doesnt offer HD movies in a supported format and tbh, most of the people that were ever gonna get one, have probably got one.

Roll on the next gen, hopefully MS will push the boundry even further.
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

matt_mr2t wrote:I prefer the Xbox but I'm a realist.

Had the PS3 been launched at the same time as the 360 and for the same price, it would have owned it from the word go.

Not because it's better but because it has a fanbase that just means it will sell.

I think in the not too distant future, now a PS3 isnt £400 it will exceed the 360 sales. Becuase the 360 is getting a bit old, doesnt offer HD movies in a supported format and tbh, most of the people that were ever gonna get one, have probably got one.

Roll on the next gen, hopefully MS will push the boundry even further.

Gotta agree with you Matt, I also have a 360 and i really like it, I prefer the dashboard of the ps3 but the ps3 is just a better all rounder and it's that much cheaper now people are seeing it as the better alternative to the 360
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Initially I would have said the 360 was a better option as when it was launched the majority of people didnt have HD TV's. They didnt want HD DVD yet. So you had the option of getting a cheaper package. Where as the PS3 dived straight in with Bluray inclusive.

But now most people have HD TV's and the price of a PS3 is more realistic. I think the killer for the 260 has been the failure of HD DVD. If that was still alive it would sit directly along side the PS3 IMO.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

If the PS3 is being seen as the better all rounder why is the xbox still beating it on sales on a month to month basis?

The PS3 has a whole new SKU and it still isnt out selling the xbox.

Its a better bluray player yea, thats why the attachment rate for games is quite frankly, crap!

At the end of the day the xbox is a year older than the PS3. In PC terms that means a huge amount but with the PS3 it doesnt seem to.

Ive seen alot more people post a thread saying "bought an xbox and cant believe how good it is" than i have seen for the PS3 over xbox argument.

Here for example. EVen you mikee have posted with similiar comments. I havent seen anyone do that for PS3. Not once.
Rev 3 GTS
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

SamUK wrote:If the PS3 is being seen as the better all rounder why is the xbox still beating it on sales on a month to month basis?

Its a better bluray player yea, thats why the attachment rate for games is quite frankly, crap!

At the end of the day the xbox is a year older than the PS3. In PC terms that means a huge amount but with the PS3 it doesnt seem to.

Ive seen alot more people post a thread saying "bought an xbox and cant believe how good it is" than i have seen for the PS3 over xbox argument.

Here for example. EVen you mikee have posted with similiar comments. I havent seen anyone do that for PS3. Not once.

It might not be beating it Sam but it's getting very close and one could put forward the argument that a lot of the 360's being bought now are repeat purchases as the original died and is out of warranty? But tbh that'll be quite small, The 360 is around 18 months older than the ps3 and it's taken until now for the ps3 to start gaining ground on an established console user base, If things had been the other way around then the 360 would have been done and dusted by now what with the death of hd-dvd and paying for online gaming etc.

No doubt the 360 is a good machine and i've never had a problem saying that but unfortunately you seem to have a chip on your shoulder regarding the ps3 and can't give credit where it's due?
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

i have both units and as a gamers consol 360 is ahead, but an alround package the ps3 is way ahead with wireless internet and full browser plus blu ray layer
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

mikee66 wrote:
SamUK wrote:If the PS3 is being seen as the better all rounder why is the xbox still beating it on sales on a month to month basis?

It might not be beating it Sam but it's getting very close and one could put forward the argument that a lot of the 360's being bought now are repeat purchases as the original died and is out of warranty? But tbh that'll be quite small, The 360 is around 18 months older than the ps3 and it's taken until now for the ps3 to start gaining ground on an established console user base, If things had been the other way around then the 360 would have been done and dusted by now what with the death of hd-dvd and paying for online gaming etc.

No doubt the 360 is a good machine and i've never had a problem saying that but unfortunately you seem to have a chip on your shoulder regarding the ps3 and can't give credit where it's due?

You make a point there for me i feel. The PS3 has an established user base and its 18 months newer.

As a PC fan you should know 18 months might aswell be years.

Yet the PS3 hasnt caught up. Yes its close but its been close for over a year.

The 360 is gaining credability as a console and the next round Sony wont be leaving anyone behind because of that.

I dont have a chip on my shoulder. I just hate the way Sony used that huge userbase so badly.

They expected everyone would buy there console and didnt think anything of competition. They though they were better than they were.

Thats why they brag about things long before release where MS dont talk it its all but ready. I just prefer MS.

Your point about 360 sales can be easily countered by saying that most PS3s are bought as blurayer players and without bluray they would of been left for dust too.

At the end of the day both companies made mistakes. MS with DVD9 and wireless and sony with overcomplicating things and using un-finished hardware.

I just think MS have handled it a whole lot better than sony.

They have dealt well with there cockup on the RROD's, have better press and have pioneered console online gaming.
Rev 3 GTS
mr2daz

Post by mr2daz »

What was unfinished about PS3 hardware? I don't get that, I am pretty sure mine is finished and it's never been complicated. :?
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

SamUK wrote:They have dealt well with there cockup on the RROD's

Have they? Last I heard is that even the 360s being sold now still suffer.
That's not a good result in my book =;
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

mr2daz wrote:What was unfinished about PS3 hardware? I don't get that, I am pretty sure mine is finished and it's never been complicated. :?

Bluray was only finalised about 28 months ago and the cell is the only reason they didnt launch at the same time as the 360.

And yea Johnny, they did really as they offered to replace all consoles free of charge no matter how many times it happened.

They dont try and charge £60 for it like some :whistle:

I dont know anyone with a new 360 that has the problems of old machines and ive never denied the problem as it happened to me about 4 times.
Rev 3 GTS
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

SamUK wrote: they did really as they offered to replace all consoles free of charge no matter how many times it happened.

Thats not fixing a problem , thats replacing faulty items
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

DannyN wrote:
SamUK wrote: they did really as they offered to replace all consoles free of charge no matter how many times it happened.

Thats not fixing a problem , thats replacing faulty items

And what happens in 15 or 20 years time? There's retro people out there with fully working Spectrums & SNESs, these people will not be happy #-o

Return to “Games Consoles”