Rev meaning and tyre pressures?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Fred_Bear

Rev meaning and tyre pressures?

Post by Fred_Bear »

Hi

Perhaps these are so easy everyone else knows? But only just getting an MR2 I would like to know:
How do you know what 'Rev' your car is, I know mine is a 93 import Mk II Turbo, but what rev?
My wheels/tyres are Lenso 17'' Stage 1 with 215/40 R17 tyres and was going to do the pressure all round at 36psi, does that sound right for just me (but a bit lardy) and not normally high speed?

Plus is there a magazine that deals with MR2s etc and shows meets, shows, etc? I would like to see what has been done to others MR2s to get some ideas for the future.

Thanks

Fred
Southend, Essex
marc GT Turbo

Re: Rev meaning and tyre pressures?

Post by marc GT Turbo »

revision 1 for the mk2 begins about oct 89
revision 2 begins jan 92
Revision 3, Oct 93
Revision 4, Jun 96
Revision 5, Nov 97 (ends sometime in 2000)

The big revisions were revision 2 for the chassis and revision 3 for the engine (and ABS). The rest were mainly cosmetic.

Differences between revision 1 and revision 2 chassis

* Diameter of front brake disks increased from 258mm to 275mm. Thickness increased from 25mm to 30mm. Allowable wear increased from 1mm to 2mm.
* Diameter of rear brake disks increased from 263mm to 281mm. Thickness increased from 16mm to 22mm. (Allowable wear remains at 1mm.)
* Front tyres changed from 195/60 14 to 195/55 15. Rear tyres changed from 205/60 14 to 225/50 15. Compact spare also changed due to bigger brakes.
* Suspension/steering geometry changed.
* Front strut bar changed so that caster is no longer adjustable.
* Speedo changed to use an electronic sender and not a mechanical cable.

Difference between Japanese GT and GTS models
GT seems to have steering front fog lamps, electrically folding mirrors and some parts of the interior covered in dead cow as standard instead of as options. i.e. GT and GTS are pretty much the exact same car.

tyre pressure ! i put 36 psi in my rears and 32 psi fronts (17")

mr2 magazine http://www.mr2only.com/
1993 GT TURBO
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Re: Rev meaning and tyre pressures?

Post by loudandproud205 »

thanks there is some use bits there, i thought major chassis revision were done on rev 3, i now can look at rev2's for my brake upgrades :D

what difference did the chassis changes have has any compared both back to back?

ive drove my rev1 and compared it to a friends rev3 imho the rev3 felt watered down but less likely to kill me, were as my rev1 was razor sharpe and every little input had a near clynical output.

maybe i was bais as it was my car and i knew it, but id like to hear anybody else's experinces

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”