Tyre choice

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevemilton

Tyre choice

Post by stevemilton »

Hi,
I'm needing to get some new tyres, and my local tyre place can get hold of Falken 912's for about £75, or Toyo Proxes for about £105. (225/50 R15)
Currently I'm doing about 1500 miles per month. Out of these two choices what would people recommend?
Cheers,
Steve.
Chris

Re: Tyre choice

Post by Chris »

Is that for a full set??? Can't be each surely!!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

tyres, do a search as there are loads of topics on this. COmes down to personal feeling, some folks hate Toyo's 1R some folks love them.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

i ordered 2 toyo T1Rs for the front and 2 falken 912's for the rear from camskill. toyo's were 43 each and falkens were 68 each. seemed like a good mix to me.
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

FWIW, I got some cheap(ish) chinese Infinity tyres for the back of mine and I'm really happy with them.
The car's only done 5K since I fitted them (including a track day) but they still look like new.
At the track day I took quite a bit of stick for using cheap tyres but I never found myself losing ground to any other car (MR2 or not) in corners.

I was particularly impressed with their performance in the wet. They seem to do a helluva job of shifting water and reducing aquaplaning.

I got them from a local garage and they were £90 fitted for the pair.

I might be a bit more concerned about tyres if I had a tubby but these seem to be superb on an n/a.

I know this doesn't help you pick between the Falken and Toyo tyres but if you're looking at £100 a pop for Toyo's while the garage has Infinitys on the rack then maybe they're worth a look?
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

stevemilton wrote: Out of these two choices what would people recommend?

There is really no point asking that question on here as everyone has different opinions when it comes to tyres. The best way it to try one and when they wear out try the other brand.... thats the only real way you will find out which suites your car and driving style.

Personally though for me its Toyo's evert time.

By the way..... Camskill sell the Falken's for £62 and Toyo's for £81

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m53b0s295p0
Bone

Post by Bone »

The 912's are rubbish in the wet. Toyo's are much better. Falken 425's are very good though.
sam1176uk

Post by sam1176uk »

Toyos are excellent imo.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I had Toyo T1-R's on my previous MR2. I found them to be soft and very grippy in all conditions except snow, they were also surprisingly quiet. Lasted quite well too - around 12k on the rears. The only negative is the flex from the sidewall which affects confidence when cornering hard although they never actually let go. As for Falken's I've had 512 and 452's. Both were very decent for the money but Toyo's were better IMO.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Hi Steve

I am doing that kind of mileage for just over a year and still go for the Toyos. I run them all at 34 psi.

How come you only get 12 k miles out of them? I get double that from the rears on my tubby. The fronts last a lot longer.

Dont usually have problems with them in the snow, apart from this year when the whole area had problems so it wasnt the tyres!
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

I use Avons all round..they are around £90 each. I used to pay that for Yokos and they would last half as long and would need to change them, i would need to replace them every six months. Im mainly talking about the rears as ive only bought new tyres once in ten years for the fronts....(ive changed the alloys but there was not much loeft on the tyres on them)

Personal preference but IMO, you pay for what you get :thumleft:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Toyo T1-Rs every time for me after the yokohama AO22s ceased to be and to be honest they'd be my preference anyway.. the car felt much less nervous. For the first 250 miles you'll wonder what has worked loose in the suspension they'll feel so odd but after scrubbing in that passes and they inspire a lot of confidence (plus they're quiet and quite long lasting). In the scrubbing in period up the pressures by 3-4 psi all round to minimise that initial wallowy feel, it's well inside max pressure limits.

R.
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

i found the proxies to be the best budget tyre out there.

make no mistake tho, they are a budget tyre

persnally i now use eagle F1s on my road cars (not tried em on an MR2 tho) as they wear much better and have better performance.

im currently using Toyo R888s and theyre amazing, but not particuarly practical on the road
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I have to say I'm not sure I'd agree they are a budget tyre.... there is more stuff cheaper than the Toyos than there is dearer and budget to me says the cheaper end of the market. Bottom line though is there is very little that comes in sizes to fit standard wheels anyway. Certainly a 225/50/15 isn't very commonplace nowadays. Maybe we should ask someone like Blackboots to get us a list of all possible options for a sticky? Same with 16s and 17s perhaps?
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

toyo's not to bad grip , not to bad in the wet either . but they last 5 mins . i had some but would never buy them again purely because they wear out rapidly. this is just my opinion but for the price you pay for toyo proxies i expected more from them. i put a fair few miles on my car weekly and needed something to last a bit longer than 8000 miles, and as an alternative i tried budget tyres kumho ku 31's . in my opinion they totally outclassed proxies in all areas. they also lasted 12,000 miles.
1993 GT TURBO
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I just checked and I got 36,003 km from my last set of Toyo rears (225/50R15). I reckon that is equivalent to 22,501 miles.

The front Toyos have done a lot more than that.

Edit- these are all Toyo Proxies T1-R and I regularly enjoy my turbo boost.
Last edited by rev3gtturbo on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I reckon on at least 15k from Toyo rears and 25-30k from fronts. If rears are going in 8k I'd be checking my suspension (though maybe it's just that you tubby drivers light them up more often).

R.
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

HighwayStar wrote:I reckon on at least 15k from Toyo rears and 25-30k from fronts. If rears are going in 8k I'd be checking my suspension (though maybe it's just that you tubby drivers light them up more often).

R.

nowt wrong with my set up rob , had my 4 Wheel Laser Alignment done when i got the car . dont know if the above people are talking about toyo's in general or toyo proxies . in my case i had proxies :-:
1993 GT TURBO
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Must be your right foot then Marc :lol:
Checked my records today and indeed I got approx. 15k from my last set of rear proxies (T1-Rs). Incidentally I also got a full geo set up in the middle of October at WIM (I usually have it done every couple of years). Went again today (that's just 3.5 months later) after arguing with a huge pot hole last week and many settings were a fair bit out (including those on the other side of the car and the rear as well as just the one front I knew was effected).
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

boost is addictive rob :whistle:
1993 GT TURBO

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”