Decision time...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gforceuk

Decision time...

Post by gforceuk »

Well i've just nipped out to look at the mr2 sitting on my drive.

Opened the door and mould bits over the sits... which wasnt a good sign. This was sitting next to the two wings I have and rear panel arches on the passenger seat waiting to be fixed to the mr2.

I took the battery out as it was dead , its now sat charging.

I decided to look for a new battery...and halfords want 70 to 80 for a battery????? madness.

Do I go ahead and get it the floor pans welded and then the wings / rear arches... and then the roof which has caused a pressure crack on the windscreen....

Or do I just call it a day ?

hmmmmm
bobbyh

Re: Decision time...

Post by bobbyh »

the fact you call it 'the' MR2, suggests detatchment!

post pics, then we can slate or rate.. if its a shed tho, its prob only worth a few hundred, so it aint worth spending more than half that..
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Just bought a Halfords calcium battery at £82.99. I did some research before buying and this was pretty much the best battery going bar AGM types (which are twice the price), it has a higher load capacity and doesn't lose it charge whilst standing so easily, useful if you only use your car in the dry like me. Hasn't been out much lately!
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

These were taken 3 months ago... you cant really see the rust on the arches.. but its there.
lion_yo

Post by lion_yo »

Looks tidy what's the mileage on it :?:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Ive seen alot worse than that being saved :lol:

Deffo worth it, but if your keping it outside you need a decent cover, being a T-bar it will just hemorage water :mrgreen: onto the seats and carpets making them far worse in not to long a time.

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
lion_yo

Post by lion_yo »

oukie wrote:Ive seen alot worse than that being saved :lol:

Deffo worth it, but if your keping it outside you need a decent cover, being a T-bar it will just hemorage water :mrgreen: onto the seats and carpets making them far worse in not to long a time.

Chris

How much are they worth once fully resprayed with arches done :?:
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

They tend to be worth less than the effort gone into them... but you dont do it for the money
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

IMO if the floor pan has gone it really isn't worth it. :(
FossMan

Post by FossMan »

I could be thinking of the wrong person but didn't you acquire the car fairly recently for not too much cash?

If you are that guy then I think you already knew it would be a lot of work. If you have your heart set on mk1 ownership then you could easily keep that car as spares and buy one with a solid chassis/floorpan and swap bits as you go.

Neither way is going to be cheap :( but as you say you don't do it for the money.
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

Yup thats me.

I knew it would be work... circumstances change occasionally though , like the wifes drop in wages

.. I'm not a mechanic and being in a certain profession all my time is spent at work or working rest days.. and I haven't the drive space for two cars anyway. So DIY isnt a way i can go .

I know the floor pan is 500 to set straight ( best quote ive had).

I'll think
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

If the best quote is 500 to fix the floor, it maybe more economical to sell this and then buy one in better condition, if you can find one.
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

If your doing it for economics... i'd agree.

The car has a bit of history ..

anyway.. I'll sleep on it. cheers all
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Sounds like you need to find a cheaper welder ;)
If its just metal, but everything else is ok, fix it. Otherwise if trim and running gear needs work too, its a scrapper right now. Personally I'd save it just to spite the government :lol:
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

I agree, keep the faith dude and get it fixed no matter how slowly you do it.
I've spent shed loads of time and money on mine over the last four years and it's still not taxed or tested and I still hav'nt driven it properly yet. (will be this spring tho, fingers crossed)
These cars are beutiful, it will be worth it just so you can look at it gleaming in the sunshine.
I roll mine out the garage and just look at it for ages and always see somthing new. (sad I know but, hey)
We need to keep as many as possible going just to show that these cars are better and more life filling than new ones. (check out the thread "5284")
Well thats my take on things, heart on sleeve i know but i don't care, thats my passion.
Regards, Bod.
Boddney

Pictures

Post by Boddney »

Tryied to post pics but don't know how. PLEB :shock:
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

Cheers all

I started her up today after charging the battery and sounds excellent.

The roof inbetween the glass panel was wet as was the glass as the ice had formed on the inside and was melting... bit late but I ordered a cover today .

So new battery and floor pans first... then wings and roof...

tyres , then service... and only a few little things to fix then.

150 on the clock which to 20 years isnt too bad
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Good choice.
Heres to the next 150k and 20 years.

Good luck GFORCE \:D/
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Just treat it like triggers broom.... :lol:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

There is alot you can do on these cars yourself, TBH that wont take huge amounts of time/money But maybe a little effort, Once you get it there you WONT regret it also I would REALLY shop around for differant welders I'm sure there are peeps on here that may be near to you that know someone or can recomend someone also .

Front wings are bolt on's so DIY no problems there (ok maybe scraped knuckles and blood etc but it looks good and cost you only the wings)

I had ba guy quote me GBP 70 to weld up a small hole in my sill return panel MOT staion did it for GBP 30 :thumleft: and it was MOT'd that day( and that was 2 MOT's ago so a good fix aswell) also, I can't say enough shop around etc etc etc .

If you need parts the Wanted section here or on the mk1club website or ebay is your best bet.

Chris.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”