Where to do track days in the South?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

brgbrm

Where to do track days in the South?

Post by brgbrm »

I'm based in Brighton and I've been to Goodwood twice, I'd like to branch out a bit, partly as I find Goodwood not cheap, I know of Brands Hatch and Bedford Autodrome, where else in the South within say 3 hours of Brighton is there? Am I right in thinking they don't do them at Thruxton?
Marf

Re: Where to do track days in the South?

Post by Marf »

Yup, Thruxton is pretty much out, they have some really tight noise regs. I contacted them a couple of years ago, they said providing a car passes the noise levels, you can rent the track at £100 an hour when its being used for experience days etc.

There is also Lydden Hill in Kent, which I dont think has anywhere near the same level of noise restrictions. :thumleft:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Castle Coombe?
xanthus400

Post by xanthus400 »

if you wanted to go a bit further a field try bruntingthorpe in leicestershire they do experience days bowt 3hrs from you bud depending on traffic
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

North Weald handling day is well worth the money, not a trackday as such, but cheap and fun. Definitely within 3 hours of Brighton. I know as I live near Brighton and was up there real quick.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Thanks.

Is this what you're thinking of? :

http://www.carlimits.com/

Tiamat wrote:North Weald handling day is well worth the money, not a trackday as such, but cheap and fun. Definitely within 3 hours of Brighton. I know as I live near Brighton and was up there real quick.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

I think so, I woul dhave to find the thread, but from memory when we went in 2006 it was about £50.00 for the day as we had quite a few of us there, that was for the whole day too.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I enjoy Colerne, its just outside of Bath. Its a cheap day and whilst not a "proper track" its well laid out and enjoyable.
System-G

Post by System-G »

xanthus400 wrote:if you wanted to go a bit further a field try bruntingthorpe in leicestershire they do experience days bowt 3hrs from you bud depending on traffic

Not that good TBH... Run by a company called Blue Thunder. You'll get more out of doing a trackday with them and taking on a couple of sessions of tuition.

But in all honesty if you're going to be traveling that far - there's Rockingham, Silverstone, Mallory Park & Donington (once put back together). Rockingham & Donington are really good circuts too.

I am going to be organising a numberof club trackdays next year including the big annual MR2 day which will probably be more midlands based (Rockingham / Donington) and at a decent rate - so Keep an eye out in the trackday section :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

We're getting too far out, there's no way I'm rawling up/across to Donington/Bath from Brighton :} Although I could tie it in with a weekend visit to where I used to live in Derbyshire ... :-)

Thruxon btw tell me they will be doing track days next year.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

marcbowden wrote:We're getting too far out, there's no way I'm rawling up/across to Donington/Bath from Brighton :} Although I could tie it in with a weekend visit to where I used to live in Derbyshire ... :-)

If your goign to thruxton, coombe isn't much further.

Basically (used to be in gatwick) the closest are goodwood and brands. after that its lydden. but you will just have to face the fact you will have to travel to do trackdays, its unfortunate, but its barren down south.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I don’t know if they do anything at Lydden Hill that’s down your way?

Otherwise you’re going to have to travel to get to any of the good circuits. Bath is probably 40 mins on from Thruxton, if you get to Bath you have, Castle Combe, Colerne, Abingdon, Keevil, Hullavaton which all have regular days (last 4 are air field days). There is RAF Marham which is nearer you, but also probably still a good drive for you.

I drove Thruxton once – sweet Jesus what a boring circuit, had trouble staying awake! I know its one of the fastest circuits in the UK but Nascar ovals are also fast and I wouldn’t want to drive one of those either!
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Thanks for that list.

It's some years since I drove round Thruxton in an Elise as a 1to1 'experience', it was my first time on track and I couldn't stop smiling for several hours.

Why do you find it boring? How about Goodwood and Silverstone - boring?, both of which I've tried, and think are wonderful and maybe it's just my novice / low intermediate track day level, but I find it hard to imagine boring circuits! :)
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

marcbowden wrote:We're getting too far out, there's no way I'm rawling up/across to Donington/Bath from Brighton :} Although I could tie it in with a weekend visit to where I used to live in Derbyshire ... :-)

they are within the 3 hours you specifed :wink:
we do leicester to the coat within 3 hrs
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

I'm surprised you can get from Donington to Brighton in 3 hours, maybe I'm just too slow and therefore there's no point me going to the track anyway ... :} Anywhere round Bath would be great too as one of my partner's son's lives there.

I'm still waiting to hear why Thruxton is dull ... :cry:
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

The circuit has a simple layout, and its wide so no real sensation of speed and I didnt find the turns much of a challenge. If they do start doing more days I may go back for a second opinion - maybe if I am not worrying about hurting someone elses car I can focus more on driving the track.
System-G

Post by System-G »

marcbowden wrote:I'm surprised you can get from Donington to Brighton in 3 hours,

I thik what Jo was meaning is that we do Leicester to Goodwood (or Dover if doing European trackdays) regularly within 3 hours - usually on a Friday night leaving Leicester (M1 J22) around 7pm :thumleft:
Although on one occasion it took nearly 5 hours due to poor weather & traffic conditions.

A difficult one for us is if we run a day at Goodwood or Combe with Anglesey the following day - Likewise Snetterton/Anglesey double-headers.

For us whether it's work or play, distances to/from circuits has never bothered us too much, but can understand others don't like to travel those sorts of distances.

Move to the midlands, then nearly every circuit is within 3 hours :tongue:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

I did live near Matlock for 3 years - it was great I went once on a drift course to Oulton Park and once with bats to Donigton, Elvington a couple of times. I do miss it up there - great walking, driving and tracks!
freak_in_cage

Post by freak_in_cage »

Combe

Keevil airfield & Colerne Airfield- both run by the excellent company "motor-sport events"

all the above in the bristol/bath area
rolandfantom

Post by rolandfantom »

Bender Unit wrote:I enjoy Colerne, its just outside of Bath. Its a cheap day and whilst not a "proper track" its well laid out and enjoyable.

In what way isn't it a "proper" track?

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”