Big day for the 2 tomorrow

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

Big day for the 2 tomorrow

Post by Mike »

Well the Tubby is off to 3S tomorrow. Its been 4 weeks since it came to a halt in a big plume of steam on the side of the M4. The radiator had decided it didn't want to do its job anymore and kindly drained itself of coolant. After what I can only assume was an incorrectly carried out block test courtesy of the AA I then spent the next 3 weeks chasing a cooling system problem that doesn't exist, spending about £500 in the process.

After another block test it was discovered that the head gasket had indeed failed, so tomorrow it makes the 55 mile journey down to 3S to have a rev3 gasket fitted and a cylinder head re-furb. Im just praying it all goes to plan and next Saturday I can drive it home with a big grin on my face.

It'll have been 5 weeks since I last drove it in a healthy state, in that time I've had a Polo 1.4TDI, Polo 1.2 petrol (both hire cars) and today I'm driving home in a borrowed 1.2 Fiesta. I found myself thinking that a 1.7Tdi Astra I was driving the other day felt "quick" 8-[ thats how long its been!
3S Service Centre

Re: Big day for the 2 tomorrow

Post by 3S Service Centre »

are you driving it down?? take plenty of water with you, fingers crosssed matey :thumleft:
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah gonna drive as far as I can with my Dad following, I've bought a tow bar so if need be he can tow me.
Bagaz

Post by Bagaz »

Hi
Bit random but i had a nightmare with a towbar and my mr2 the other day. I got it from halfords (1st mistake) and had my dad (Hence your situation reminded me of mine) tow my mr2 with my other half (second mistake) at the wheel. They pulled up at a roundbout and the bar bent in half! Luckily damage was minimal but not something i wanted.
So just wanted to let you know that if by some chance you have the same tow bar, be carefull on tow.
Hope yourfix goes smoothly at 3S as i'm sure it will.

Mark.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

same hope all goes well buddy, my 2 went boom this summer, but it was a good exscuse to get forgies :lol:

when will you here the diagnosis?
C50

Post by C50 »

my mate also has bent tow bar from halfrauds
Mike

Post by Mike »

Surprisingly I managed to drive it the entire way with my dad following behind. Took ages though, keeping it below 2000rpm which was about 50mph on the motorway and stopping every 20 miles or so to let it cool down.

I'm 99% sure that the radiator caused the head to go but they're gonna have a look at some of the usual suspects in case it was something else.
Just keeping my fingers crossed that its nice and straight forward to fix :pray:
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

i feel your pain been stuck with a 1.4 fiesta for 3 weeks nearly and it kills
3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

surgery starts tomorrow lay it all back down with a nice metal gasket :thumleft:
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”