Quick Oil Filter question before I goto Toyota

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

Quick Oil Filter question before I goto Toyota

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Are the Oil filters all the same for the MR2 Eg Rev1 - 5 and NA / Turbo or are they different?

I noticed on the MR2 Parts site it lists 2

90915-03004

and

90915-10002

Which is the right one?

Race Idiot

Re: Quick Oil Filter question before I goto Toyota

Post by Race Idiot »

The Turbo one is longer than the NA one and doesnt have a drainback valve or something inside it.

I tend to ask for 90404-19002 which is the 205 GT4 partnumber. But it's the same filter for the 2ZZ celica motor also as the part number has been superceded.
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Questioning the 'longer' part, as I got a Blitz one, and it's quite short. :-k
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

The turbo one is longer and they both contain a pressure relief valve.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ght=inside
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Ren0W wrote:Questioning the 'longer' part, as I got a Blitz one, and it's quite short. :-k

Allot of the fancy tuner ones seem to be shorter than the normal, i've got a pitwork one and its a bit shorter.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

rev3 onwards are longer, just ask for a gt4 one so they don't rip you off :wink:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

90915 - yzzj2 For turbo
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

When you get a toyota one it specifies the engine codes it's for on the side of the box. It will say 3sgte and a few other engines including the 4age. Its about £7 if i remember.
JJ

Post by JJ »

JeffD wrote:The turbo one is longer and they both contain a pressure relief valve.

For the record, there is a non return valve mechanism through the feed of the filter ( outside ).. this is not a pressure relief valve... it retains the oil in the filter when the engine shuts off.. preventing the oil draining back to the sump / pump.

After a little time.. when the rubber NRV wears, its stays open ( heat and force of the oil shapes it ).. then the oil is allowed to run away from the filter... causing the chatter on start up that many get....so hence regular filter change is required as preventative maintenance ( premature wear on each startup )

Height is mainly for service life... the smaller it is.. the shorter distance you have before changing it !! :thumleft:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Thanks, Got one.

I gave him them 2 numbers in my first post and he said its the same filter and they are now using a new code 90915-YZZJ2 . Checked it and its 90mm and it says on the box 3S-GTE (Excluding ST165), 4A-G, 2Y, 3Y AZ series 2ZZ.

With 10% discount it came to £9 with a Sump plug washer

Now to get some oil 10/40 Gulf Fully Synthetic Ester £50 or Castrol Magnatec 10/40 Semi Synthetic for £21 hhmmmm
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Uhm...

if you already have Full... you can't go Semi ...

or vica versa :-k :mrgreen:

Anyhow, check it out before you buy.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Well its already got Semi in when it had an oil change at Rogue by the previous owner.

think I might just go with the Castrol Magnatec 10w 40 then as it says its Part synthetic with Ester based stuff in it. Car runs fine on the Semi thats in now and I have been told Magnatec is one of the best oils around so might just go with that.

How much oil does the MR2 take?
ant@sbits

Post by ant@sbits »

id go fully synthetic and it takes 4 litres
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

JJ wrote:
JeffD wrote:
The turbo one is longer and they both contain a pressure relief valve.

For the record, there is a non return valve mechanism through the feed of the filter ( outside ).. this is not a pressure relief valve... it retains the oil in the filter when the engine shuts off.. preventing the oil draining back to the sump / pump.

Please have another look at my other thread:

and read (toyota website)

http://www.toyota.com.au/parts-and-serv ... il-filters

where it says:
Valves

A Toyota Genuine Oil Filter features two valves - a Bypass Valve which allows vital oil to still flow in the event of a filter becoming clogged, and an anti drain-back valve which prevents oil draining out of the engine and into the oil pan. This valve helps protect your engine from increased wear during cold starts.
and check diagram:

The pressure relief/bypass valve is at the top of the pic as ive mentioned before and has to be put under pressure to work. The anti-drain back "valve" is at the base of the filter (where you would exoect it to be as its keeping the contents of the filter inside - if ot was at the top it wouldnt be holding anything in). In the pic its the black half circle.

The anti drain can be seen just the other side of the inlet holes and can be flexed if you push it with something (be careful not to damage it though!).

Oil normally goes up the outside of the filter, through the elements and out through the central camber. If it gets clogged oil can force the bypass valve at the top to open and oil goes straight through without being filtered rather than starving the engine of oil)

When the engine is off the seal/valve at the bottom of the filter stops the oil from draining out of the unfiltered area of the filter.

All I can think of is that your getting mistaken with filters from other manufacturers such as Bosch who do things a different way but even then you will notice the bypass valve is at the top of the filter not the base.

You may want to edit your post.... ;-')

BTW The 2 different sizes:

Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

--EDIT-- Ignore, I read the part number wrong :wink:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

As a guess yoyrs had a J insted aof the F IIRC - theres slightly different coding letters that dictate the market ie. european, JDM etc - all very confusing LOL
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

Ren0W wrote:Uhm...

if you already have Full... you can't go Semi ...

or vica versa :-k :mrgreen:

What's all that about? The only oils you can't mix are 2 stroke with 4 stroke and castor oil...
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

JeffD wrote:As a guess yoyrs had a J insted aof the F IIRC - theres slightly different coding letters that dictate the market ie. european, JDM etc - all very confusing LOL

yea, mine says YZZJ2 :)
gumbo_gts

Post by gumbo_gts »

just bought a filter from main dealer but my code is 90915- yzzj2 this the right one :-k :-k
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

gumbo_gts wrote:just bought a filter from main dealer but my code is 90915- yzzj2 this the right one :-k :-k

Yea thats what I got, Says 3SGTE on the back :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”