[Mk2] [Generic] 6x9 into boxes behind seats

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ChefAngus

[Mk2] [Generic] 6x9 into boxes behind seats

Post by ChefAngus »

Has anyone put 6x9's in the storage boxes behind the seats?
If so which way did you face them(up or forwards)?
Was it worth it, i.e. Did/does it sound good? I have 2 300w rms 6x9's and a 600w genasis hand built/air cooled amp(will this work under the seat).

I want to put some real bass in the car 2. I am used to using 22'' sub woofer+ amp, but obviously I cant fit this in this car :cry:

I dont think I can fit anything behind the seat caws I am the height of stupidity and I need the seats right back ](*,)

Is there any space behind the carpet on back firewall?
What to do, I dont wanna lose center consol and dont think anything I do with it will create any real head rattling bass!

If I take my big bass speaker out of its box and put it in firewall,(if possible) I just wont creat any bass due to the lack of air to push behind it, or will it?

Pls help, I must have some loud sounds again. \:D/ :evil: :thumleft:
madbasshunter

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] 6x9 into boxes behind seats

Post by madbasshunter »

I wouldnt go with the 6x9's in the cubbys as 6x9's are designed to be in IB ie in a parcel shelf using the whole boot space, there are plenty of options for boxes to fit behind the seat without compromising space have a look at my install here http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120442 .
samg1988

Post by samg1988 »

I have 6x9s in custom built boxes that sit on top of the cubby boxes. I had heard people complain of vibration noises when using the cubbies.

Soundwise with what I have though Im happy. I have an amp running under my seat that does the job! As long as you dont put the tbar blinds in front of the speakers I get as much bass as Im happy with. Its only a small car afterall.
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

ChefAngus wrote:Has anyone put 6x9's in the storage boxes behind the seats?
If so which way did you face them(up or forwards)?
Was it worth it, i.e. Did/does it sound good? I have 2 300w rms 6x9's and a 600w genasis hand built/air cooled amp(will this work under the seat).

I want to put some real bass in the car 2. I am used to using 22'' sub woofer+ amp, but obviously I cant fit this in this car :cry:

I dont think I can fit anything behind the seat caws I am the height of stupidity and I need the seats right back ](*,)

Is there any space behind the carpet on back firewall?
What to do, I dont wanna lose center consol and dont think anything I do with it will create any real head rattling bass!

If I take my big bass speaker out of its box and put it in firewall,(if possible) I just wont creat any bass due to the lack of air to push behind it, or will it?

Pls help, I must have some loud sounds again. \:D/ :evil: :thumleft:

Just saw this topic and thought I will give my 2cents :D

I bought 2 6x9 enclosures from theloudest : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-of-Box-Enclo ... .m14.l1262

(this is an EXCELLENT shop btw, do their own brand but the customer service is tip top and I get next day delivery on early orders. You get pile of free stickers too :P)

They fit snugly on top of the bins. In fact, the "lip" of the bins kind of sets it in place. Awesome improvment in sound quality I must say.

Hope this helps ;)

edit: I got the 6x9 speakers and a 1000w 2 channel amp from the same shop as well. Bass is just nice. You can't expect thumping bass from a 6x9 ofc but imo the sound quality is just right. :thumleft:
Stretchermunkey

speakers

Post by Stretchermunkey »

I cut ther cubby lids and fitted 6*9's facing upwards.
I lined the boxes with Dynamat and they sound great. loads of bass and no vibration. :D
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
sw20GTS

Re: speakers

Post by sw20GTS »

Stretchermunkey wrote:I cut ther cubby lids and fitted 6*9's facing upwards.
I lined the boxes with Dynamat and they sound great. loads of bass and no vibration. :D

Thats what I did initially as well. But the enclosures that I have found are better since they are sealed. Besides they sit neatly on the lid and is removable too! :thumleft:

Although yes, you do sacrifice some seat reclining capabilities.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

I made some MDF plates to replace the cubby lids and mounted the 6x9's in there. Silicone around the bottom of the plate and screw it in place to give a better seal. This also means that I can still put my t-bar glass behind the seats. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “ICE and Security”