planning ahead-coilovers.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mihogal12

planning ahead-coilovers.

Post by mihogal12 »

have my supercharger a while now and i think its tired and time to replace the suspension. it was alyays my intention to lower the car for a lil bit of improvment on handling. has anyone ever fitted a coilover set to their 2? i wouldnt fit the stiffest one available but i would go for a softer set up just for everyday usage. id like to have a more sharper feel of the suspension and something that will handle the superchargers power. any help appreciated
Jim-SR

Re: planning ahead-coilovers.

Post by Jim-SR »

you dont really have a soft option off the shelf. the cheap coilover setups available for the AW11 range from uncomfortable to plain dangerous. your only sensible option for now is to just run coilover sleeves, such as Ground Controls. you can then choose your own spring rates, and just run Koni inserts for damping. there are some proper options, but theyre expensive. a set of custom built Ohlins for example would set you back anything from £2500 upwards.
omracing

Post by omracing »

I ran a set of Leda coilovers, although these were on a race car (boy were they hard) :wink:
I still have a set of Leda coilovers somewhere, but I can't find them now. #-o
Red MR2 Mk1a - Rose SOLD
Blue MR2 SC conversion 180 bhp - Lightning
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

I can't see much wrong with my Koni shocks and lowering springs set-up. The range of adjustment is spot on and it handles beautifully. As mentioned, there's not much option for coilovers unless you want to spend a fortune or are happy to settle for some horrific £300 set up from eBay which will be dangerous, cheap and rock solid.
Get adjustable spring platforms if you need adjustable ride height, and stick with something tried and tested.
Oh, and do your bushes at the same time - massive improvements for £140 outlay and some elbow grease.
mihogal12

Post by mihogal12 »

can koni shocks be bought easily? or do i have to buy inserts and do it that way? is there anyone reputable that sells the koni shocks and lowering springs as a set? and also what lowering is recommended?
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

Konis are inserts unless you buy a used set that are already fitted. theres loads of places that sell Konis, the prices are all fairly similar now, they tend to cost somewhere around the £500/set mark (with springs) iirc. this time last year you could get them for under £400 though, Koni whacked all their prices up when the recession hit.

lowering wise, about an inch over where youre already sitting at stock. old springs sag, so your 20+ year old springs are already lowered by potentially a couple of inches. drop more than an inch from where youre already likely at and the geometry gets messed up and youll just be bottoming out the Koni dampers all the time.
phipck

Post by phipck »

what about hsd coilovers (do a google search) or tein super streets. you sound like you have a simular taste in suspension feel to me and i would aim toward these 2 if you are adimant about coilovers.....

avoid d2 and k-sport for soft springs, they need to have firm springs installed for them to work ok.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

phipck wrote:what about hsd coilovers (do a google search) or tein super streets. you sound like you have a simular taste in suspension feel to me and i would aim toward these 2 if you are adimant about coilovers.....

avoid d2 and k-sport for soft springs, they need to have firm springs installed for them to work ok.

Tein dont make AW11 dampers, and neither do HSD looking at their website. their dampers look near enough identical to BC Racing kit, but are alledgedly not just rebranded. they still scream Taiwanese though, which means inferior quality and performance to European product. BC Racing do make an AW11 set and it doesnt look awful at first glance. they need some proper testing though from a knowledgeable and neutral source, at present the only reviews ive read have either been from sales agents or people that think Teins have good ride quality (which they dont if youve ever compared them to something from the likes of Ohlins, Exe-TC, KW, Koni, etc).

with regards D2 and KSport needing stiff springs, this is because they have almost no bump force whatsoever and a ridiculous amount of rebound force. run soft springs and they collapse in bump and then barely have enough force from the spring to expand again. the ride becomes unbelievably harsh and grip suffers badly. you could write a book on their problems as well, some are quality related some are just inherent design flaws.

the AW11 lacks a decent off-the-shelf coilover setup at present. its an old car and nobody is showing any interest in producing anything decent for it. there is an obsession with monotube designs over twin tubes (which is absurd for cheap road car dampers) and the end result is low quality Taiwanese product with poor ride quality and poor performance to boot.
millentubby

Post by millentubby »

If you intend using your mk1 on the road then i'd forget about coilovers.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

millentubby wrote:If you intend using your mk1 on the road then i'd forget about coilovers.

unless youve got a set of these...

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=367687
dgh.mr2

Post by dgh.mr2 »

I had LEDA coilovers on two MR2s - one standard(ish) weight and one v. lightened. With the former and the spring rates LEDA specced it was more comfortable on a lower setting than the 'standard' Koni, 30% uprated spring type set ups I had on several MR2s. It was perfectly acceptable for daily road use.

The quality of the dampers seemed to me to offer a better, more comfortable ride but one that could be tweaked up for track use to a level (of handling and grip) beyond that of the Koni set ups (though they were very good too) plus the spring rates could be changed v.easily to suit the purpose.

All the setups tried (Koni and LEDA) had polybushes and uprated arbs too.

The lighter car had very stiff springs (450lb/in front and 300lb/in rear) and wasn't ever so comfortable but could still be used OK to air it or drive to a track.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Modify your stock struts into coil overs - then just drop in some KYB adjustable dampers and spec you own spring poundage. You would probably be able to get a sweet set up for maybe £400 which will xxxx all over alot branded stuff.

Could also look at GAZ for suspension

they still scream Taiwanese though, which means inferior quality and performance to European product.

Sorry the Europeans turn out just as much xxxx as the Taiwanese. It maybe a European brand but you can bet you ass its been manufactured in Asia. At the end of the day you have good brands and you have bad brands, and they all make their parts to a price; where it actually comes from is irrelevant these days.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

Bender Unit wrote:
they still scream Taiwanese though, which means inferior quality and performance to European product.

Sorry the Europeans turn out just as much xxxx as the Taiwanese. It maybe a European brand but you can bet you ass its been manufactured in Asia. At the end of the day you have good brands and you have bad brands, and they all make their parts to a price; where it actually comes from is irrelevant these days.

that wasnt a generalisation on ALL industries, that was a very specific comment on dampers. Taiwanese and Chinese production is improving all the time, and youre right, most stuff gets outsourced now anyway. but that simply isnt the case with dampers, which is what i am talking about.

European brands, and American brands too, such as Ohlins, Koni, KW, Bilstein, Penske, Dynamics/Multimatic, Sachs, JRZ, GAZ, etc all utilise European/American design, development and manufacture. the quality is high, sometimes so are the prices.

D2, KSport, Megan, F2, G4, HSD, BC Racing, etc are all designed, "developed" (i say it in inverted commas because there isnt any car-specific testing and development, which is why the damping is so poor) and manufactured in Taiwan and China. the problems arent a function of poor manufacturing standards, which is what you have read into my comments. they are a function of the people designing them having no idea what damping a car requires for good performance, comfort and durability, and targeting profits over quality. the top European and American brands have a long history in dampers, and that is the difference in quality and performance.

the easiest way to summarise it is to say that a UK company could make a television, and a Taiwanese company could make one that was just as good. but if a Taiwanese company tried to build a Formula 1 car the same as the Brawn GP from this season they would fail, miserably. the reason being that there is decades of knowledge and experience behind the success of an F1 team, and the same applies to the components on the car (e.g. dampers in this case). you cant just manufacture something based on simple ideas and visual appearance and expect it to perform the same as the products from companies that have been doing it for decades at the highest levels of motorsport (which is where pretty much ALL of the major development occurs). what kind of serious motorsport does Taiwan have?

/rant over :lol:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Jim-SR wrote:

Now that you're finished, any chance of you putting your knowledge and contacts to good use and developing a decent set of reasonably priced coilovers for a mk1 ;)
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

kaiowas wrote:
Jim-SR wrote:

Now that you're finished, any chance of you putting your knowledge and contacts to good use and developing a decent set of reasonably priced coilovers for a mk1 ;)

already working on it. the term "reasonably priced" is misleading though. id say a set of Ohlins are reasonably priced. ok, so they start out at around £3000 lol, but you get what you pay for ;)
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Jim-SR wrote:
kaiowas wrote:
Jim-SR wrote:

already working on it. the term "reasonably priced" is misleading though. id say a set of Ohlins are reasonably priced. ok, so they start out at around £3000 lol, but you get what you pay for ;)

Bah would love to be able to indulge myself but I can't justify that kind of outlay so I guess I'll be sticking with the "Converted Konis" plan. Prepared to spend up to about 1k for the right product though if you can recommend anything else.

On a related note can you recommend some spring rates as a reasonable starting point? Car is used for track/sprint although remains road legal as a back up car (so needs to be drivable on the road although comfort isn't a concern, just so long as it's safe and won't shake itself apart). Weight is currently about 930kg (plus driver) although I'm aiming for sub 900. Don't really know how weight distribution is although I've tried to concentrate my efforts on shifting it forward from stock.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

spring rates will depend on the dampers being used to some extent. if youre lacking in bump damping then spring rate has to compensate. probably somewhere around 225/250 upto 300/350 for road and track use, depending on preference. if youre running Konis (which are the only decent option for under a grand at present) then probably toward the stiffer end of that scale.
Gad
Location: Castle Donington, home of fast cars and strange festivals...

Post by Gad »

Ever encountered a brang called Largus?
They seem to do a set of coilovers for a MK1 for about £800.
They appear to be based in Japan, although that doesn't necessarily mean their kit is manufactured there I guess.
See here for their website or for a little info from RHD Japan
System-G

Post by System-G »

The only "OK" or "good" reports I've heard from coil-over users on AW11's have been from avid trackdayers using Leda coilovers with a lot of other suspension upgrade including adjustable topmounts, full poly bush, uprated ARB's etc... to do it properly you're in for a couple of grand at least.

The not so good brands Jim-SR mention have had a fair amount of slating on forums here and accross many ponds (USA, OZ & NZ).

I ran KYB inserts with -35mm Pi Springs on my original track car and my current track car until a set of decent priced adjustable came up. The ride was very, very harsh on this setup, but I also had a set of rear dampers fitted to the front and as such not the best in terms of handling performance.
The two AW11 race series use controlled suspension upgrades consisting of a similar setup too (except front dampers for the fronts).

I now run Tokico Adjustables with a -30mm spring (forget the brand). I run then mid (rear) / Soft (front) dampening on the road and hard (rear) and near hard (front) on track. It's a brilliant compromise for us.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

I've got a set of d2 coilovers and the ride is comparable to a go-kart, really stiff and not much give. They look pretty but I doubt very much they work as well as a properly engineered setup.

I'd swap them all day long for a set of koni's. 8)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”