poorly beloved mk1.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

blueninja66

poorly beloved mk1.

Post by blueninja66 »

hi guys, i know its been a while :oops: but work commitments, new house and the dreaded girlfriend have taken up all my time.
thing is, ............ive bust it.
the mk1 has been my weekend car now for the past 2 years as i care too much about it to be used as a daily runabout.
now if ya dont know my mk1 (and the majority dont) its the love of my petrol fueled life and its been restored as far as my bank account will allow. anyway i think its bloody mint!
all the body work and cosmetic stuff has been done before engine work as its always been so reliable.............UNTIL LAST SUNDAY :evil:
reversed it out of the garage and left it ticking over on the drive, everything sounded, smelt and looked fine.
jumped in, got to the end of my street and it coughed. the dreaded cough. started to idle wierd, sounded like cylinders had gone. i limped it back home with a distinct lack of power to the laughter of the local chavs.
now ive checked the cam belt, fine. all the ignition stuff is good.
never missed a beat since ive had it and now it wont start. it wants to, but it wont.
what has it done guys? are 4age's known for jumping teeth?
all help greatly appreciated.
MartG

Re: poorly beloved mk1.

Post by MartG »

Sounds like fuel starvation to me - maybe the fuel pump has failed or the filter is clogged
AW11 Forever..!

Post by AW11 Forever..! »

Petrol???? is it getting fuel, can you smell petrol when its turning over, is it sparking.

Try un doing the petrol cap, letting the pressure out and then try starting it.

Are all plugs and leads ok.

Check dizzy

get back to us
MR2 World Community www.michael-sheavills.co.uk
MartG

Post by MartG »

T check the fuel pump, get a short piece of wire, turn the ignition on, then use the wire to connect B+ and Fp contacts in the diagnostic connector - if it's OK you should hear the pump humming.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ah that test will only check the fuel pump wiring mart, not the pump itself which could be pumping very weakly.

Amazed nobody has advised the very first step in diagnosing an mr2 fault...... come on chaps you have been around long enough, bridge T and E1 in your diagnostic port and read the fault codes displayed by the CEL.

Do this first and report back. :thumleft:
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

Flippin 'eck Steve. :roll: Putting house and girlfriend before your mk1... I don't know what the world is coming to nowadays... :wink:

As Paul says do a diagnostic on the car and come back to us. Generally, if the belt is only 1 tooth out the car won't stay running for long so I'd be surprised if its that.
Check the small pipes which run down the side of the intake manifold. They can sometimes come apart and cause similar issues. Plugs are worth checking too. Is there water down one of the holes?

If it's ruinning fine one minute and the sounding rough the next I don't think it will be anything too serious... :thumleft:
blueninja66

Post by blueninja66 »

cheers for the replies guys, on with the fault codes as soon as i find the garage key. ](*,)
which i believe could be in the garage :oops:
blueninja66

Post by blueninja66 »

update, taken me almost 12 months like but.............it was the cambelt tensioner afterall.
it was replaced today and it runs! a bit rough to be honest but the grease monkey should sort that.
looking good for being back on the road soonish, binned the bird too so more money to splash on it.
hows that sy? haha.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”