Stupid number plate question

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Paul in the Port

Stupid number plate question

Post by Paul in the Port »

Ok so this may sound daft but how does the front number plate fit?? I have replaced bumper bars front and rear and also fitting new retaining strips to the underside on both so have now have the correct brackets to mount the plate on rather than the two bent bits of strip steel as previously.

I assume its simply a case of bolting the plate directly to the brackets with M6 threaded number plate bolts but this puts the plate at quite an angle back at the bottom. Is this correct??

Thanks
Kooga

Re: Stupid number plate question

Post by Kooga »

Sounds like your mounts are what we on IMOC technically refer to as 'bent' :D
The number plate should be straight, if its leaning backwards its because the flimsy mounts have gone all cheesy...the bracket iirc is on the metal retainer for the bumper cover. This is unlikely to have worn well and the easiest way to make it better is buy a new one. However you can just bend them straight for now and see how it goes...
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Kooga he has fitted a brand new bumper retainer strip.

I fitted one earlier this week brand new from toyota for a 1b and they come from factory at about a 35-40' angle back from straight down.

They are not "bent" or "gone cheesy" or "worn" thats how they come new.
Paul in the Port

LOL. As above - yes its as Mr T supplied - bent back at the 30 degree or so angle. Just doesnt seem right and surely is against the VOSA requirement for a number plate to be as near as possible vertical?? So do i need to bend them then or is it acceptable to potentially GATSO-proof my number plate? LOL
tommundy
Premium Member

Post by tommundy »

Paul in the Port wrote:Just doesnt seem right and surely is against the VOSA requirement for a number plate to be as near as possible vertical??

Where did you read/get told this? AFAIK there is no documentation or rules covering the angle at which a number plate has to be displayed. It only has to be 'legible' and obviously conforming to the usual formatting, shape and size guidelines. Just think about all the production high performance and kit cars that have the number plate on the bonnet, pretty much facing upwards.

On my Mk1a I've actually pushed the plate back at the bottom so it's resting against the valance. Keeps it straight too!

HTH

Cheers
Tom
Swiss Toni

Post by Swiss Toni »

tommundy wrote:
Paul in the Port wrote:Just doesnt seem right and surely is against the VOSA requirement for a number plate to be as near as possible vertical??

Where did you read/get told this? AFAIK there is no documentation or rules covering the angle at which a number plate has to be displayed. It only has to be 'legible' and obviously conforming to the usual formatting, shape and size guidelines. Just think about all the production high performance and kit cars that have the number plate on the bonnet, pretty much facing upwards.

On my Mk1a I've actually pushed the plate back at the bottom so it's resting against the valance. Keeps it straight too!

HTH

Cheers
Tom

Part 6 (3) a of The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001;

Fixing of front registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed -

(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

and before you ask, the relevant date is 1 October 1938 :?
tommundy
Premium Member

Post by tommundy »

Random spam post of the year goes to..... abwenzi

Back on topic:

I stand corrected, tried googling but nothing had come up. I like reading stuff like that in a perverted kind of way though, lol.

I'd still fight the corner that it's not 'reasonably practicable' to affectively damage OEM equipment by bending it to be vertical.

It wouldn't be an offence though would it? It would only be if there were road side VOSA checks?

PS: The rule is the same for cars before the 'relevant date' too.
System-G

Post by System-G »

I've had my front plate on the dash for over a year including two MOTs :shock:

When it was fixed in place, it was fixed with cable ties to the airdam cover. AFAIK, this is MOT legal too. Simples :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

My plate's stuck to the front spoiler with double sided sticky tape. :mrgreen:

Last edited by LimeyMk1 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

System-G wrote:I've had my front plate on the dash for over a year including two MOTs :shock:

When it was fixed in place, it was fixed with cable ties to the airdam cover. AFAIK, this is MOT legal too. Simples :thumleft:

I got stopped for my number plate being in the windscreen as it was in the swept area !, but in this position the law seem to be happy with it.
I know its not a mk1.
Last edited by madbasshunter on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pantera2075

Post by pantera2075 »

MOT requirements are different to "Construction and Use" regs.

For MOT, all it needs to be is clearly legible - without splits, fading etc - I went thru an MOT once with a Pontiac with Californian plates on it - albeit with the correct Brit number on them.

Construction and use deems where and how they should be mounted - and this is what the rozzers will pull you up on.

If the Mk1 passed type approval in this country with the front plate angled back, you will be ok under the law - in fact, it's technically an offence to bend it "straight"

AFAIK the only car where it is legal to have a stick-on plate that is well laid back is the E-type Jag - they argued with the ministry at the time that there was nowhere else to put it, and got the concession.
Paul in the Port

Evening chaps (and chapesses)

Well its all back together now and the plate fitted. I did bend it back more vertical so its only about a 10deg angle now.

As above - remembered it from somewhere in the regulations from my kit car building experience as i have gone through the registration of five Caterham 7 style cars over the years, and had to put number plates on them all. No point giving the BiB an excuse to pull me over so I went for the more upright position than as standard.

Just need new tyres in the morning now as some numpty put a 185/55/15 on there while the rest are 195/50/15's!!!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”