Turbo Timers – How exactly do they work, possible new use for them….

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

The TVIS Kid

Turbo Timers – How exactly do they work, possible new use for them….

Post by The TVIS Kid »

I have seen several turbo timers come up for sale fairly cheaply. I understand that they keep the engine running after you have turned off the ignition for a set period of time. My great idea is to use one to let me defrost my car with the safety of my doors been locked. The problem is I’m not sure on how they work. I.e does the car have to have been running for a set period of time or does it trick ecu to think the ignition is still on? Also can you lock your doors when it’s in use (standard Toyota remote central locking). I don’t fancy waiting (in the depths on winter) in my car every morning for it to de mist or de ice while the engine gets warm.
Baker

Re: Turbo Timers – How exactly do they work, possible new use for them….

Post by Baker »

you can set them whenever you like, maximum on mine is 10 mins.

i cant lock the car with the cobra alarm on the car when the timer is running, but i can lock it manually.
notroubleclubber

Post by notroubleclubber »

I got a hks timer and a toad alarm and i can arm and lock the doors while its timing down.
Baker

Post by Baker »

our work cars have a timer too, they cant be fob locked while running.
Must be tweaked wiring i guess.
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Some alarms come with turbo timers, like my Clifford. But I can't get it to work atm :(
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

i use my tt to warm my engine up while im getting ready to leave. i have a 10min preset,i just select that then lock the doors. when im ready to leave, 1 press of a button sets the tt back to auto mode.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

All you need to do is get another key cut. Start the car with one key then lock the doors with the other. Simples :thumleft:
Baker

Post by Baker »

good idea....but i can see criminals loving the idea of that too! :oldtongue:
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Turbo timers are just a gimmick and a waster of money as well as it can invalidate your insurance no matter what alarm you have on your car as leaving a car running unattended is also illegal.

After a hard drive using your turbo for the last 5 mins of driving just dont boost it.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

alanmr2turbo wrote:Turbo timers are just a gimmick and a waster of money as well as it can invalidate your insurance no matter what alarm you have on your car as leaving a car running unattended is also illegal.

After a hard drive using your turbo for the last 5 mins of driving just dont boost it.

I only 50% agree with that. I find my turbo timer very useful when i have done a long motorway run or been giving it some beans. It may be illegal to leave a car running unattended but not if its on private land, such as a Drive!! Theres many examples i can think of where i need to get out of the car quick but cant turn it off as its hot, the TT is very useful here.

I say only 50% tho as out turbos are water cooled, And one of the purposes of this is to remove the requirement of a 'cool down period'
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

RyanRs wrote:
alanmr2turbo wrote:Turbo timers are just a gimmick and a waster of money as well as it can invalidate your insurance no matter what alarm you have on your car as leaving a car running unattended is also illegal.

I only 50% agree with that. I find my turbo timer very useful when i have done a long motorway run or been giving it some beans. It may be illegal to leave a car running unattended but not if its on private land, such as a Drive!! Theres many examples i can think of where i need to get out of the car quick but cant turn it off as its hot, the TT is very useful here.

I say only 50% tho as out turbos are water cooled, And one of the purposes of this is to remove the requirement of a 'cool down period'

50% Agreeing withme i dont mind, but phone your insurance companies and see how 99.99% of them will say leaving your car running will invalidate your insurance lol
paul port

Post by paul port »

Defrosting the car windscreen in the depth of winter can be done with a kettle of Hot (not boiling) water - I've not cracked glass in over 15 years of doing this (nearly 10 on the MR2)

If you want to do it by running the engine, then what you really want is a "Remote Start" preferably built into your car alarm.

Clifford, as well as some others can have this facility as an option.

A Turbo Timer is a very simple beast - it simply keeps the Ignition Circuits live for a period after the keys are removed from the ignition. You still have to have started the car first!

On the Clifford, the "Turbo Timer" is simply using a timed output on the alarm ECU to keep a relay closed - holding the Ignition circuit live... The Alarm ECU is programmed to know this output is being used as a turbo timer so that it does not interfere / alarm when the doors are locked.

Paul
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

paul port wrote:Defrosting the car windscreen in the depth of winter can be done with a kettle of Hot (not boiling) water - I've not cracked glass in over 15 years of doing this (nearly 10 on the MR2)

If you want to do it by running the engine, then what you really want is a "Remote Start" preferably built into your car alarm.

Clifford, as well as some others can have this facility as an option.

A Turbo Timer is a very simple beast - it simply keeps the Ignition Circuits live for a period after the keys are removed from the ignition. You still have to have started the car first!

On the Clifford, the "Turbo Timer" is simply using a timed output on the alarm ECU to keep a relay closed - holding the Ignition circuit live... The Alarm ECU is programmed to know this output is being used as a turbo timer so that it does not interfere / alarm when the doors are locked.

Paul

Hmm, sounds straight forward. But how come my alarm installer told me he can't get the turbo timer working in my car? Is he just trying to charge me the labour and cut back on costs? (I presume he still charged me for the relay or whatever for the TT).
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

I had turbo timer on my old car with a clifford and intelli start.

Insurance company required it to have cat 1 alarm so I went the whole hog and had every thing fitted.

Never had a problem with insurance. Was only £1600 FC all mods declared, just required cat 1 regardles of what options it had.

Intelli start was a godsend. Start car up 5 mins before I leave just to de-mist and get a bit of warmth in the engine. Still advisable to let the engine warm up under low boost driving though as idle is only useful for cooling the turbo.
Then the timer linked to the clifford set for 3 minutes.

Only problems I had on that car was the gear box and clutch. I took power too far and broke it. Think it was about 390 at the wheels when it went, but it got launched at every single duel lane traffic lights on red though :lol: £1500 for a new rebuilt one :shock:

Halfrauds pre-icer works well the night before. Usually do delas come winter time :thumleft:

Then again, its not hard to lower the load your putting on the engine and turbo 3-4 miles from home like I started doing to save fuel and wear and tear on the car :thumleft:
Blacklightning66

Post by Blacklightning66 »

leaving a car running with no driver is an offence under the road traffic act.

also having a car started and unattended would invaladate your insurance.

Turbo timers make it very eays to hot wire a car also as they are wired into the ignition....
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Blacklightning66 wrote:leaving a car running with no driver is an offence under the road traffic act.

Amongst all the other 1001 road traffic offences, like tooting your horn when not necessary :roll: ....

Turbo timers make it very eays to hot wire a car also as they are wired into the ignition....

Thats why any 'sensible' car owner has an immobilizer fitted!
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Apparently its better to do the cool down while your still driving, as that gets even more cool oil around than just idleing does. so for the last mile or two just keep the revs low and small throttle openings.
chr15_84t3

Post by chr15_84t3 »

RobCrezz wrote:Apparently its better to do the cool down while your still driving, as that gets even more cool oil around than just idleing does. so for the last mile or two just keep the revs low and small throttle openings.

thats what i do anyway, the last 2 and half miles home i just cruise, no boost. theres no way im able to park my car up on my driveway and leave the engine running

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”