[Mk2] [Turbo] Funny Gurgling noises!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

benparker

[Mk2] [Turbo] Funny Gurgling noises!!

Post by benparker »

Can anyone help, when i start my car you can hear the water running about, its not overheating but smells a bit funny when it warms up. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
going4the1

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Funny Gurgling noises!!

Post by going4the1 »

The water noise will be due to a lack of coolant in the heater pipes. You need to bleed the coolant system. Look in the knowledge base for instructions.

Keep an eye on things as you may have a leak in the 'heater hose from hell' or elsewhere.
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Hmm, I have that noise too when I drive it hard. Don't notice anything wrong with the temps on the dash also there's a slight burning smell from the engine + that water noise.
benparker

Post by benparker »

I've had a look at bleeding the coolant system but it looks a nightmare to do? Do you know how to do it and how much coolant i need to put it, or is it better taking it somewhere to get it done.
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

its quite simple mate.

Theres no set amount of how much you need. you will need as much as the system is empty.

Its basically having your bleeding pipes from the rad and heater matrix higher than your header cap. make sure your car is level. put your heaters on hot, open both valves at the front and fill up the header until the level of water in the bleed pipes at the front is the same as the height of the header cap.

After warming the engine up a few times repeat the process until theres no air in the system.
paul port

Post by paul port »

Gurgling AFTER you switch off the engine is normal on a hard driven MR2 Turbo...

If you've got it whilst the engine is running - best check the level in the overflow resevoir Kerbside of the engine bay - at the back.
Pull out the tube and it should be wet at least half way up.

paul
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

paul port wrote:Gurgling AFTER you switch off the engine is normal on a hard driven MR2 Turbo...

If you've got it whilst the engine is running - best check the level in the overflow resevoir Kerbside of the engine bay - at the back.
Pull out the tube and it should be wet at least half way up.

paul

Yeap, mine only gurgles if I really thrash it. Not on normal drives.

Return to “Mechanical”