[Mk2] [Turbo] Locking door with key - only one side locks

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sw20GTS

[Mk2] [Turbo] Locking door with key - only one side locks

Post by sw20GTS »

Hi all,

I was at my local garage to get my alarm installed. However, he noticed a weird problem. If I lock using a key from the driver's side, only the driver's side will lock. Not the passengers.
Same with passenger side using key I think.

I called up the previous owner and he told me he had to press the "Door Lock" button on the driver's side everytime he gets out of the car.

Is this a common problem? Can't the alarm be connected through the Door Lock button to get it sorted?

I did put in sound deadening recently but if the previous owner had the problem as well I think it's something else. Any ideas?
willfinch36

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Locking door with key - only one side locks

Post by willfinch36 »

not sure if this is related, but my car has a lock on the key ( unlock + lock button on the toyota key) nothing fancy. just standard remote central locking?

when I lock the car with the key in the drivers door, its fine, locks the whole car, however when i press the lock button on the key it only locks the passengers side? but not the drivers side?
gumbo_gts

Post by gumbo_gts »

mines the same,,,, got lock pass door by using the button lol
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i don't think it's a fault, i think this is the way they were made, my car is the same, so is the missus' rev3 and my old n/a, :thumleft:

if you want to lock the doors, press the door lock button and hold up the handle while closing the door :thumleft:
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

I was under the impression mk2 MR2's came standard with Central Locking so by putting the key in the drivers lock and locking should lock BOTH doors....!!

Rash
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Rash is right it should work both doors.

Have this issue with mine, sometimes it locks both doors, sometimes only drivers and I need to look into it.
Barnz

Post by Barnz »

I have the same problem on my Rev1. I've been told it's the "door lock control switch" that's fubbered. If I lock from passenger side central locking works fine.
Think they're about £28 from Mr T. Will be investing once I have the door card off to investigate.
jonboy2199

Post by jonboy2199 »

Definately central locking as standard on at least the rev2 +. mine used to work perfectly, you could lock the drivers side and the central locking would kick in and both doors would lock. Then she used to lock and unlock herself and now like you guys I have to press the 'lock' switch then lock the driver side when I get out. Annoying but never got round to figuring it out ..... definately not right tho ](*,)
newmr2owner

Post by newmr2owner »

My rev 1 was the same when I got it. I stripped down the drivers door panel and if you trace the wires there is a sensor that clips on to the inside of the drivers door lock that registers you locking the door and sends a signal to the other door to lock as well.

When I got mine half the clip was broken off so was not connected to the lock. I never actually got mine fixed properly, I put it back on where it should be and somehow it didnt come back off and has worked fine since.

Strip your drivers door panel down and see what you find, the sensor looks like a black circle about the size of a ten pence piece with plastic fitting around it

Nic

Return to “Mechanical”