HELP! MOT Failure, need headlight part in NWest. Runs out Tmrw!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbo_Jet

HELP! MOT Failure, need headlight part in NWest. Runs out Tmrw!

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

HELP - Just opened a can of worms! :pale:

I desperately need, like in the next 24hrs, a driver’s side headlight housing section as per the part coloured in red in the image below.

My car's just failed it's MOT on a cracked headlight lens - I thought this might be the case and so I have two new clear ones to replace the old ones and so it's going back in to the garage tomorrow to have them fitted.

To save paying the labour to disassemble the headlight housings and then have them put it all back together again, making sure it all lines up with the wing and the bonnet which can take ages, I've just taken the housings apart in readiness of the garage tomorrow. BUT HERE'S THE PROBLEM!! The screw in location tabs on the part marked in red (Driver's Side) to which the chrome headlight surround ring fixes, are rusted to HE11 and have just fallen apart in my hands!! ](*,) As such, the chrome headlight surround ring, which secures the headlight into the hosing, now has absolutely NOTHING to fix to. BIGGER PROBLEM!! My MOT runs out tomorrow (Tuesday 18th) so I need a new housing, as marked in red, straight away so I can get it past it's MOT tomorrow as it's my only car. As I presume they're not going to pass it with just one headlight! #-o
So does anyone in the North West have one spare I can pick up tomorrow?? PLEASE!

The passenger side, thankfully, is solid and absolutely fine.

Thank you for any help! :pray:
Jimbo_Jet

Re: HELP! MOT Failure, need headlight part in NWest. Runs out Tmrw!

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

David Cropley on the MK1 Club forum has just suggested lashing it up for the time being to make it secure for the MOT, so I'm going to my garage now with with a fist full of cable ties and hope they will accept it? :?
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Just been to the garage now, they're prepared to accept the cable tie idea for a temporary measure but, the part marked in red....

.... is that independent of the rest of the housing? i.e. not welded to anything? Thanks
pantera2075

Post by pantera2075 »

I can't see your pics, but i've got 2 complete headlight arrangements going spare. I'm 5 mins from M6 j15.
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Hi, thanks for that! :thumleft: Here's an external link to my images if that helps?

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1576 ... ousing.jpg

As is stands at the moment I may be able to get what I need from a chap on Merseyside whom I'm also getting some suspension bits and bobs from but I'm waiting for this to be confirmed. If that's a no go I'd love to take you up on your offer -cheers! Will let you know asap! :)
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

It's a seperate part held in place by the two adjustment screws and a spring. As your surround was totally knackered I'd expect the adjustment screws and springs to be in a pretty bad way too so you might need a trip down to Mr T for some fresh ones.
dopiaza

Post by dopiaza »

Hi,

I have two complete headlight assemblies which you can have £10 for the pair. I'm in Leeds, drop me a PM or call on 07899 065179 if you're interested.

Cheers,
Graham
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Hi, are they in good nick? ie am I going to have the same problem with rust that I have with mine now? :wink:

I'm over in Leeds in a couple of weeks, where abouts are you and would you/they be availiabe on Thursday 10th September during the day sometime? Thanks! :thumleft:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Any problems getting this let me know, I got spare one that was removed from my car after a crash, can post it up - just for cost of postage.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
dopiaza

Post by dopiaza »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay - been away for a bit. I'll take some photos of the ones I've got and check that there's no rusted off bits. Give me a day or so and I'll get it sorted. No probs with 10th Sept, I'll send you a PM with details.

Cheers,
Graham
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Fantastic! Thanks mate :thumleft:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

pantera2075 wrote:I can't see your pics, but i've got 2 complete headlight arrangements going spare. I'm 5 mins from M6 j15.

Hello

Have you still got these?

i notice mine has now completely rusted through and i have a wobbly light!

Cheers

Neil

EDIT : Now sorted cheers :D
Last edited by Neil_turbo on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

dopiaza wrote:Hi,

I have two complete headlight assemblies which you can have £10 for the pair. I'm in Leeds, drop me a PM or call on 07899 065179 if you're interested.

NICE :thumleft: I'm over in Leeds tomorrow (10th) have sent you a PM :D

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”