MR2 Super GT Race Series for 2010

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

MR2 Super GT Race Series for 2010

Post by Rogue »

MR2 Super GT Series Press Release

Team Rogue Racing, the people behind the 750MC's highly successful MR2 Championship have announced plans to create a new racing series for 2010 based around modified versions of the Toyota MR2.

"At present the MR2 Championship runs on tightly controlled regulations and limited modifications" remarks Patrick Mortell, formula official and MD of Rogue Racing. "This makes the racing affordable, close and focussed on driver skill - but it does mean that we're barely scratching the surface of what this mid-engined, rear wheel drive car is capable of."

Whilst engine options for UK market MR2s were limited to naturally aspirated power, these were at least road-going versions of engines that Toyota supplied for various race series around the world, offering plenty of scope for tuning. Japanese market versions of the mk1 and mk2 MR2 were also equipped with supercharged and turbocharged engines respectively - the latter shared with the Celica GT4 World Rally car, and capable of catapulting a standard MR2 from 0 - 60 in just 5.2 seconds.

"There's a good deal of commonality in parts between Toyota models, making upgrades easy and affordable." says Mortell, "The V6 engine from the Toyota Camry is a common swap, as is the high revving 1.8 litre engine that Lotus use in the Elise and Exige - even the Evora's 3.5 litre V6 is finding it's way into road-going MR2s."

The idea behind the MR2 Super GT series is to give competitors the freedom to innovate. Cars will be limited using a performance index system, roughly equating to power-to-weight, and policed by Race Technology's DL1 Datalogger.

"Because we have a little black box in the cars measuring how much horsepower is used during a race, we don't need to regulate what's going on in the engine bay. The onus is on the competitor to ensure that they don't exceed the power-to-weight limit for their class, or to ballast their cars accordingly. It also means that all-out power won't necessarily offer an advantage as the regulations give the freedom to lighten cars and add aerodynamic devices."

The series will be run by the 750 Motor Club alongside the existing MR2 Championship.

"MR2 Racing has proved very popular with capacity grids, a great community and a wide following from MR2 clubs throughout the world." comments Robin Knight, 750's Competition Secretary. "There's always been interest in modifying and racing the more powerful MR2 models and we're expecting a significant influx of new competitors, while at the same time offering a progression for existing MR2 Championship drivers."

Interest in the series is already strong, with four Super GT MR2s making their début in an All-Comers race at the 750MC's Silverstone meeting on the 22nd of August. Team Rogue Racing's workshop and tuning division, Rogue Motorsport, already have a further three cars under construction with orders for more to be built during the off-season.

"One of the things that makes this series so accessible is that there are literally hundreds of affordable road-going modified MR2s of a sufficiently high standard that they just need the addition of safety gear to go racing." says Mortell. "This is without doubt one of the most affordable ways to race in a high performance mid-engined rear wheel drive car."

For further details, please contact Team Rogue Racing Ltd on 01676 530222 or visit www.mr2supergt.com. (Please note there's no website content at the moment!)
System-G

Re: MR2 Super GT Race Series for 2010

Post by System-G »

Oohhh... an MR2 race on a free weekend* 8)

Might just pop down and have a gander and a chat about next year :thumleft:

Well done Patrick :thumleft:

*Still need to check with TSO regarding the facts surounding a free weekend... 8-[
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Forgot to mention - BTCC driver Paul O'Neill will be racing one of our MR2 Turbos in the all-comers race. :thumleft:

I'm finally going to get out again in our Britcar. \:D/
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

What sort of costs does this carry Patrick? I'm guessing a few thousand will be required across a season?
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Have you thought about replicating the classes as per the JGTC? if I undrstand tight 300BHP and 500BHP? In 1998 the GT300 was won by the MR2 which inspired the release of the TRD kits for street use.

The MR2 is the blue one (but dont get mixed up with the Blue Honda NSX)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svVCCaZZw9k
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

JeffD wrote:Have you thought about replicating the classes as per the JGTC? if I undrstand tight 300BHP and 500BHP? In 1998 the GT300 was won by the MR2 which inspired the release of the TRD kits for street use.

JESUS!! :shock: Just watched that clip Jeff. The 2nd round at Fuji and the resultant fireball!!! In the rain as well! Pretty amazing stuff.
Looked good racing as well.
:thumleft:

Good luck with your venture Patrick. If i had the money and time i would love to race. :cry:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

JeffD wrote:Have you thought about replicating the classes as per the JGTC? if I undrstand tight 300BHP and 500BHP? In 1998 the GT300 was won by the MR2 which inspired the release of the TRD kits for street use.

Man I remember half those cars from GT2, it even had that momo corse MR2 although it was a bit crap. Didnt have the winning Tsuchiya car though. :oldtongue:
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

When will the full list of rules/regs etc be released?

I bet there will be a fair few people wanting to modify their turbo trackday cars to qualify for this.

Very exciting news :thumleft:
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

if you go on youtube and enter JGTC and MR2 or SW20 theres loads of that stuff :-)

Would love to see "historic" racing with replicas of those cars - if anyone ever comes across one for sale let me know - I want this one!!!!!

Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

JeffD wrote:if you go on youtube and enter JGTC and MR2 or SW20 theres loads of that stuff :-)

Would love to see "historic" racing with replicas of those cars - if anyone ever comes across one for sale let me know - I want this one!!!!!

That looks like one of my recent model purchases! Wonder if this was based on the JGTC?
:thumleft:

IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

The regulations were drafted before I really looked into the Japanese Super GT series (formerly JGTC), and once I'd picked the name I was pleased to see just how closely our ethos matches there's.

Initially power levels will be limited to 250bhp/ton as a maximum, but we may revise this in future. A sensible power limit means a sensible cost, but we should get some epic racing out of the cars. I drove a customer's Super GT spec MR2 Roadster yesterday (271whp, 233lb/ft, 1050kgs) and the level of performance was just awesome. I'll post some video up as soon as I can.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Here's video footage of Eugene O'Brien testing Simon Phillip's Super GT car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phvj1UXb8E0

In this session, Eugene is deliberately not using the second cam profile which switches at around 6,500rpm - note that the shift lights don't come on. The full range at the moment allows up to 8,000rpm and I have another video showing this which I'll upload later. Once we're happy with the car we'll move the limit up to around 8,500rpm, but we may also investigate a different profile for the second cam.

Car is a heavily modified MR2 Roadster with a turbocharged 2ZZ-GE engine:

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

That is some impressive car. Not poverty spec exactly. :shock: :)
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Looked kinda slow to me.. ;)

GT Series sounds awesome. Best of luck with it Patrick & co.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

When will the regs be released? Would be nice to know what's allowed and not allowed, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's tempted to convert their trackday car :thumleft:
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

monkeyra wrote:When will the regs be released? Would be nice to know what's allowed and not allowed, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's tempted to convert their trackday car :thumleft:

I can give you a flavour of the regulations at the moment, I need a couple of weeks before I have a working set that I'm happy to publish. An awful lot of thought and effort has already gone into this series but I need to bring everything together, finalise it and have it checked by the Race Tech Committee.

MR2 Super GT Race Series

Overview

The MR2 Championship was originally envisioned as an affordable racing series that was accessible to both novice and experienced drivers. As such, the choice of vehicle is restricted to the base specification naturally aspirated model of each of the three MR2 versions and the regulations tightly controlled to keep modifications to a minimum. Emphasis has been firmly placed on driver skill and development. Since it's inception, the MR2 series has grown annually and now boasts regular capacity grids.

Whilst the MR2 Championship has met it's goal of becoming an affordable entry level racing series, there is no obvious logical progression offered for those drivers that want to move on to the next level of performance and modification without completely moving away from Toyota manufactured cars. However within the MR2 model line-up the potential exists to introduce a further class of higher performance race cars at a price point below that of other comparable series. Both mk1 and mk2 MR2s were available in Japan with forced induction options (supercharged and turbocharged respectively) with grey imports readily available in the UK market - often for little more than their naturally aspirated equivalent. The mk3 MR2 was not offered with a forced induction option but shares it's running gear with the Lotus Elise, making the more powerful Toyota engine found in the Elise, Exige and 2-Eleven a popular and common aftermarket conversion. Toyota vehicles generally enjoy a large commonality and compatibility of parts giving further cost effective upgrade options including larger capacity V6 motors.

Standard MR2 Championship classes have very rigid regulations and the intention is to allow the Super GT cars as much freedom as possible. Typically policing a series of this nature is very difficult, particularly with power modifications to turbocharged cars being very easy to implement and conceal. To this end we are proposing to use a system of datalogging each vehicle's performance in order to extrapolate the power used at any point during the race. Such systems are currently used in other racing series (notably Britcar) to good effect. Following a race, a data card can be collected from each car by a scrutineer and analysed in around thirty seconds using a laptop computer.

Rather than limiting cars on power alone with a compulsory minimum weight, we intend to run classes regulated by power to weight ratios and no minimum weight. This potentially allows for powerful but heavy cars to compete on an even footing with less powerful, lighter cars. Three classes are proposed with limits set at 150, 200 and 250 bhp per ton. These limits roughly fit where we expect various levels of modification to place entrants, but may need tweaking as the series develops.

Engines must be original Toyota production items, transversely mounted and sourced from any Toyota or Lexus vehicle. Modifications to head and block are free, but must be based on original standard parts. Crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, valves, camshafts and manifolds are all free. Cylinder capacity may be increased or decreased by modifying cylinder bore and/or piston stroke. Forced induction may be added to naturally aspirated engines. Petrol and Diesel engines are permitted. Toyota's Hybrid Synergy drive may also permitted - entrants wishing to use this technology should contact the organisers prior to starting a build. Toyota variable valve timing (VVTi) and variable lift (VVTLi) systems are permitted. Ignition systems are free.

Gearboxes must be original Toyota transverse production items sourced from any Toyota or Lexus vehicle. Gear ratios may be changed only by using existing gears from other Toyota production gearboxes. Toyota's SMT (sequentially operated manual transmission) is permitted. Differentials are free but may not be electronically controlled.

Engine management systems (ECUs) are free, provided that they do not provide any kind of traction control except launch control. Drivers are permitted to interact with engine management systems during a race - eg. change turbo boost levels, switch maps etc. Racelogic DL1 Powerloggers will be mandatory and must be mounted in a specified location. These can be sourced from the organisers at a substantially discounted rate.

Fuel pumps, injectors, filters and tanks are free subject to meeting FIA requirements where applicable. Whilst supplementary fuel tanks will not be required for MR2 Championship races it is envisaged that the specification of some cars will also be suitable for endurance racing, and we do not want to regulate against this possibility.

Suspension modifications will be regulated in such a way as to point competitors towards existing off-the-shelf solutions. Remote reservoirs will not be permitted, while bump and rebound may not be separately adjustable. Anti-roll bars and strut braces are free. No suspension may be adjusted by the driver whilst seated. Suspension pick-up points may not be modified. Rose joints and rod ends are permitted. Bushes may be rubber or plastic. Discussions are currently taking place with a potential sponsor which may see controlled - but heavily subsidised - suspension.

Wheel sizes will be limited to a maximum diameter of 17", and maximum width of 10". Tyre sizes will be dictated in part by availability from the control tyre supplier and a list will be made available for competitors to select from.

Bodywork modifications such as front splitters, canards, flat under bodies, rear wings, air scoops and diffusers will be permitted to allow improvements to both aerodynamics and aesthetics. One of aim of the series is to promote MR2 race cars that look like race cars! All modifications will be subject to minimum and maximum dimensions defined for each of the three permitted chassis.

Induction and exhaust systems will be free, save that the exhaust must exit from the rear of the vehicle and that mk3 MR2s must be equipped with a catalytic converter. Throttle may be electronically or mechanically driven.

Brake calipers are free but must have no more than four pistons. Brake disks will be subject a maximum diameter. Brake lines are free (braided recommended) and brake fluid may be either dot 4 or dot 5.1. Brake bias valves are permitted but must not be operable by the driver whilst seated. Brake master cylinder is free.

Super GT races should be held on a different day but on the same weekend as MR2 Championship races (ie Super GT on Saturday and MR2 Championsip on Sunday). Since standard Championship cars are also eligible for the Super GT races (in the 150 class) this will allow drivers to compete in both races thus providing additional racing for those that want to make use of the opportunity. Standard class cars will not be required to carry a powerlogger subject to competing under standard class technical regulations with a revised minimum weight to match the 150 class power to weight limit.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Rogue wrote:Initially power levels will be limited to 250bhp/ton as a maximum, but we may revise this in future. A sensible power limit means a sensible cost, but we should get some epic racing out of the cars. I drove a customer's Super GT spec MR2 Roadster yesterday (271whp, 233lb/ft, 1050kgs)

Are the proposed classes (150/200/250) going to be based on flywheel or at the wheel figures? I'm assuming your customer's car will have the boost turned down, or ballast added to fall within the 250 class? :-k

Going to be an exciting series this one- will be great to see some full on motors racing each other 8)
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

ashman wrote:Are the proposed classes (150/200/250) going to be based on flywheel or at the wheel figures? I'm assuming your customer's car will have the boost turned down, or ballast added to fall within the 250 class? :-k

It will essentially be wheel horsepower measured by the DL1 Powerlogger; there's more to it than that, but I'll expand upon that later. Total weight of the vehicle will include the driver (the above example weight is just the car - obviously there were two people in it in the video!). Competitors will have the option of tuning the power to the weight or vice versa - in turbocharged cars you could simply turn the boost down for instance.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Cheers Patrick- was really just trying to work out the max sort of power it would be 'worth' aiming for assuming a car weight of ~1000kg :eye:

Hope this w/e goes well :thumleft:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”