cracked windscreen

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pearson mr2-T

cracked windscreen

Post by pearson mr2-T »

Just wondered if any one happened to no how or can fit windscreen old or new as i have a mighty crack in mine thanks dan.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: cracked windscreen

Post by Martin F »

most people have replacement in there insurance cover, if you haven't then it's not a job i would recommend you doing yourself, expect prices to range from £500 plus but if you shop about you may be able to get that figure down to around £200 if your lucky :-k

you could always buy a second hand window from someone local and see if someone at auto glass would fit it as a homer, that's if someone else has the knowledge to remove the second hand window without breaking it, also remember there are different shades of window :wink:
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

and special rubber seals with the "special water thing" that stops it from pooring through your side window :thumleft:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I found National Windscreens quote much cheaper than Autoglass when it comes to getting a new windscreen fitted (for those times when you need a new one but don't have windscreen cover on your insurance policy :eye: ).

It's a little while ago now but I think a new 'import' bronze tint cost me around the 250 pounds mark fitted from National Windscreens. The UK car green tinted screen was a bit cheaper and closer to 200 pounds if I remember correctly. I rang to book in/order the glass then drove to the shop to get it fitted. Fitting time was around 1.5hrs :thumleft:
Turbocarl

Post by Turbocarl »

I got new blue tinted windscreen including new seals for £120 fitted - I ignored the big 2 and asked the local garages to recommend someone and was surprised at the number of alternatives given!!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

There is a Toyota part number for a kit to get the old one out... involves a bit of piano wire to run around the windscreen to break it free and then different adhesive packs depending on the ambient temperature of the region.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
RST

Post by RST »

"Autoglass repair, Autoglass replace" as our local radio station says repeatedley 10 times an hour. I used a local guy as the rep of the national guys was appawling. I believe a windscreen was £180odd (mixed in with allot of other window work) but I knew nothing at the time of the proper windscreen seal so probably don't have one. Doesn't bother me much anyway -though pay attention to the tint IMO, mine's slightly out.
pearson mr2-T

wind screen

Post by pearson mr2-T »

Thanks peeps will bare that all in mind and let you know how i get on.dan

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”