350bhp Audi TT

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Olly P

350bhp Audi TT

Post by Olly P »

Came across one of these last night on a dual carriage way. It was a left-hand drive model and the driver had a Dutch or German accent. Nice chap, and was generally interested in my Tubby, asking lots of questions about it, and obviously knew his jargon when it came to tuning.

Turns out his TT was running 350 @ the fly. Looked gorgeous I have to say. Not normally a fan but with 20" deep dish alloys, carbon fibre bonnet and other subtle body mods, it looked the part. Didn't ask what mods he's done, cos quite frankly, I couldn't be bothered to =;

Launching off the line, both with wheelspin, I sat a car length ahead. Flat out into 5th gear and we were neck and neck. Did this a couple of times and came to the conclusion we were perfectly matched.

They're the encounters I enjoy - where it comes down to making perfect gear changes or you'll get left behind.

Part of me always wonders if people like that get annoyed that their £30k+ investment can't outrun a £4k 17 year old Toyota :-k
Ekona

Re: 350bhp Audi TT

Post by Ekona »

When they're sat in a far better interior in a car that's not going to fall apart quite as easily, I very much doubt it ;)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Nothing's better than a tubby ;) Have to ask, what's subtle about a carbon bonnet and how do you know he paid 30k? You can pick up TT's for 5k or so now.
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

matt_mr2t wrote:Nothing's better than a tubby ;) Have to ask, what's subtle about a carbon bonnet and how do you know he paid 30k? You can pick up TT's for 5k or so now.

I just meant it didn't have a stupid bodykit on it, nor a mechano spoiler. It was tastefully done. But then most German tuned cars are 'fairly' subtle in appearance.

Dunno where I got £30k from #-o
I was just thinking, its prob a higher spec TT to start with if its to be tuned to 350. The wheels alone, if they were indeed 20" (at least 19s) would have cost a few grand by the look of it. Then the engine tuning. To get 100-200bhp more from an engine must also cost a few grand. Ok, lets say the car has cost £15k realistically.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Olly P wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:Nothing's better than a tubby ;) Have to ask, what's subtle about a carbon bonnet and how do you know he paid 30k? You can pick up TT's for 5k or so now.

I just meant it didn't have a stupid bodykit on it, nor a mechano spoiler. It was tastefully done. But then most German tuned cars are 'fairly' subtle in appearance.

I was just thinking, its prob a higher spec TT to start with if its to be tuned to 350. The wheels alone, if they were indeed 20" (at least 19s) would have cost a few grand by the look of it. Then the engine tuning. To get 100-200bhp more from an engine must also cost a few grand. Ok, lets say the car has cost £15k realistically.

The VW/Audi 1.8t 2.0t motors arent that difficult to get that amount of power from.

Also German tuners being subtle makes me laugh. Have you ever seen a porsche that techart has touched?
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Race Idiot wrote:
Olly P wrote:

The VW/Audi 1.8t 2.0t motors arent that difficult to get that amount of power from.

Also German tuners being subtle makes me laugh. Have you ever seen a porsche that techart has touched?

I meant more along the lines of M-power (M5 for example) and AMG. Compared to the likes of Cosworth and co, they're relatively subtle.
RumbleStrips

Post by RumbleStrips »

Good to see that the MR2 can still keep up well with the more modern modded stuff!
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

ekona wrote:When they're sat in a far better interior in a car that's not going to fall apart quite as easily, I very much doubt it ;)

Fall apart? Mines still here and as good as ever 16 years later. Not saying the Audi is badly made but lets see what happens to them in 16 years. Look cack too :wink:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

You'be surprised how "easy" 350bhp is in a TT.

If you're starting with the 225 it's a turbo, intercooler and ecu tweak. There's another thread (R34 Vs TT) and I think I posted a link, there's companies that do whole packages in power upgrades. There was one for 350bhp and one for 450bhp which both, all in all cost about £5k iirc.

What makes me laugh (and this is not aimed at anyone on this thread before anyone starts getting angry) is that the TT is viewed by some MR2 owners as both girly and hairdresser.
Yet most of the rest of the motoring world view the MR2 in exactly the same way.

I've only ever been in one, a standard late 90's (in the early 00's so it was fairly new then) 225 Quatro. I must say, while it wasnt breathtakingly fast, it was very, very nice. It felt so solid, the interior is gorgeous and made so so well. It really is a whole generation ahead of even the newest jap interiors let alone the older generation.

It's definately a car I would consider owning I have to say. Only one of the top spec ones. I wouldnt have a 150-175bhp FWD model.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

matt_mr2t wrote:You'be surprised how "easy" 350bhp is in a TT.

If you're starting with the 225 it's a turbo, intercooler and ecu tweak. There's another thread (R34 Vs TT) and I think I posted a link, there's companies that do whole packages in power upgrades. There was one for 350bhp and one for 450bhp which both, all in all cost about £5k iirc.

What makes me laugh (and this is not aimed at anyone on this thread before anyone starts getting angry) is that the TT is viewed by some MR2 owners as both girly and hairdresser.
Yet most of the rest of the motoring world view the MR2 in exactly the same way.

I've only ever been in one, a standard late 90's (in the early 00's so it was fairly new then) 225 Quatro. I must say, while it wasnt breathtakingly fast, it was very, very nice. It felt so solid, the interior is gorgeous and made so so well. It really is a whole generation ahead of even the newest jap interiors let alone the older generation.

It's definately a car I would consider owning I have to say. Only one of the top spec ones. I wouldnt have a 150-175bhp FWD model.

Standard fueling is good for 350bhp?
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

RobCrezz wrote:

I cant say that for certain, injectors and what not are good enough.

But this kit: http://www.thettshop.com/performance.as ... uct=100009

Only contains a turbo and associated parts to fit it and claims a power of 325bhp

Imagine coupling that with a full exhaust, intercooler and decent management. Or going a bit further and fitting something a bit bigger than a GT28 turbo. Although personally, I wouldnt want bigger laggier turbo.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

matt_mr2t wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:

I cant say that for certain, injectors and what not are good enough.

But this kit: http://www.thettshop.com/performance.as ... uct=100009

Only contains a turbo and associated parts to fit it and claims a power of 325bhp

Imagine coupling that with a full exhaust, intercooler and decent management. Or going a bit further and fitting something a bit bigger than a GT28 turbo. Although personally, I wouldnt want bigger laggier turbo.

Thats pretty cool. Im struggling to find a turbo I want for a decent price. A Gt28RS kit would be ideal for me, but so pricey!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

After my parents owned two TT's I was pretty much put off them. First 180 quattro had the cluster fail twice also left them stranded a couple of times with other random electrical problems. T

hen they got a 225 which the cluster failed and then the timing belt tensioner broke and caused mr valve to meet his good friend mr piston.

Also both cars interiors were nicely put together but they both had more rattles than my mr2 did. Heated seats were ace tho.

I dunno about modified but the standard ones imo were pretty boring to drive and I found it had worse steering feel than an SW20
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

What are clusters? I thought they were breakfast cereals ;)

But seriously, what are they?

Never heard any one complain about the reliability of them. Known a few people to have them.

Were your folks ones older higher miler ones or pretty new?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

matt_mr2t wrote:What are clusters? I thought they were breakfast cereals ;)

Never heard any one complain about the reliability of them. Known a few people to have them.

Lol maybe i've been picking too many americanisms up. I meant the err clocks or whatever you know the gauges on the dash. It was a pretty common failure on the TT's. I remember at one point both the turn signals were permanently illuminated on the dash, it was pretty lol. And the fuel gauge used to stop working which left the car stranded a couple of times.

Also this was around 02/03 both cars were pretty new and they were the second owner. I mean the 225 only had like 15k on the clock when they bought it.

I was trying to convince them to get a 330CI instead but they never did #-o Woulda had more fun driving one of those at least.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Hey Olly. Lucky you had a play with a modified TT. If you'd posted up that you dared to compare your modified tubby against a standard TT - that would really have got the driving experiences flamers out :lol: (I'm joking of course :tongue: )

Sounds like you guys were evenly matched :thumleft:
johnp

Post by johnp »

matt_mr2t wrote:What are clusters? I thought they were breakfast cereals ;)

The Audi tt people call them 'dashpods'....the guages and the digital displays (pre '04) become eratic but Audi were replacing FOC in most cases even out of warranty.
They brought down the change recommendation time for the cambelt to IIRC 5 years /60k (to include tensioner and waterpump).
If buying an oldish TT you naturally check that cambelt and dashpod have been sorted.
Very much a generilisation,but I would say a mk2 NA would be more trouble free than a TT,but mk2 turbos about on a par reliability-wise.
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

I have driven a 300bhp TT.
The owner had the dash problems and coil pack problem. I found the interior rattle to be honest.
However i did love the drive. The grip from the 4 wheel drive was immense, i would love to take one on a track. Even at 300bhp it felt slightly under powered.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I wonder what one with something silly like a GT3076 would be like to drive!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Race Idiot wrote:I wonder what one with something silly like a GT3076 would be like to drive!

Horrifically laggy (compared to standard), noisey and with a power delivery for people only with big balls.

Return to “Driving Experiences”