[Mk2] [Turbo] Very strange issue with the car , last three weeks

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

NeilMr2Turbo

[Mk2] [Turbo] Very strange issue with the car , last three weeks

Post by NeilMr2Turbo »

For example today . I accelerate hard as i come onto the motorway and it bucks slightly , which ended up me stopping the hard acceleration. I try again and it sounds as if the car isn't sparking correctly but it will allow me to accelerate on slow boost say 12psi instead of 15.

I've had this numorus times now and it happens far more often when it's at 14.5psi and above ( 48 ratio on ebc ). If i lower the ebc to 46 ratio 14.2 psi it hardly ever happens.

At one point last week though it was so bad i had to limp it home as it would not allow me to boost at all , sounded as if a pipe was off or plug was loose.

It has an FCD which is set to 17psi , it has no error codes , the spark plugs are new , the leads are much less than 3000 miles old. The dizzy is in good condition as is the rotor arm. I've checked for boost leaks and i've found none!

It's a rev 2 with a ct20b , the odd thing is i cannot do anymore than 15psi the higher i raise the boost the more likely it is to happen and when it doesn't happen the car does not feel any faster. I'm also getting what can only be described as the odd miss feeling when the car is idling.
RobCrezz

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Very strange issue with the car , last three weeks

Post by RobCrezz »

I had the same problem. What spark plugs have you got?

Grade 7s and gapped to 0.7 did the job. Untill they were gapped down it was missing on higher boost.
NeilMr2Turbo

Post by NeilMr2Turbo »

RobCrezz wrote:I had the same problem. What spark plugs have you got?

Grade 7s and gapped to 0.7 did the job. Untill they were gapped down it was missing on higher boost.

Colder grade spark plugs bought recently , had already regapped them before i put in the engine :cry:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

NeilMr2Turbo wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:I had the same problem. What spark plugs have you got?

Colder grade spark plugs bought recently , had already regapped them before i put in the engine :cry:

Just try gapping down another 0.2 mate, mine were already gapped down to 0.8 and still missed. Worth a try!
stevegts

Post by stevegts »

i had a problem similar to this but more severe, i couldnt boost past 5 psi without it missing horribly, after months it turned out to be some sort of gasket on the fuel rail lifting under boost and spraying metered air and fuel into the engine bay, impossible to see unless the engine is boosting under load, might be worth checking gaskets around the intake manifold and fuel rail.

hope this helps, S.

Return to “Mechanical”